Amber! You've been holdin' out on me!

Started by SippinTea, May 31, 2007, 05:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SippinTea

*Someone* told me that Michael Buble is one of your favorite artists. WHY have you never told me about him? *grin* I thought I was reasonably well-rounded in my music, but this guy got missed somehow, until another friend recently introduced me to his music. Such fun stuff! :) I especially like the song Everything. *cheesy grin*

What are your favorite songs/albums? And what should I watch for?

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

nicolejoy

I LOVE Michael Buble - he's awesome!! I've got a billion favourite songs by him... he does everything really well!! I especially like "Fly with me" and "I wanna go home" or whatever it's called... I like heaps more, but I can't think of them just now...

Newsman

His remake of 'save the last dance for me,' is not only listenable, but gives a fresh touch to an old classic of bygone years.

John  :waving:

MelodyB

*Makes mental note to check out Michael Buble*
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

AmberMarie

Yeah.....I loooooooove Michael Buble!!! You've gota watch the dvd of his concert (i have it  ;))  He has a new cd out...I want it but haven't bought it yet.  I really like all of his songs..he's awesome.  ;)

SippinTea

Quote from: Newsman on May 31, 2007, 10:47:45 AM
His remake of 'save the last dance for me,' is not only listenable, but gives a fresh touch to an old classic of bygone years.

Yeah, I liked that one too. *sigh* (Confession of a Pentecostal Nun: I've always wanted to learn to dance.  :o  Did I say that? Don't tell on me! Okay, seriously, I've always thought the tradition of the father/daughter dance at weddings was the sweetest thing. Obviously, that's never happening to me! :sadbounce: And that's even aside from the whole romance thing. LOL)

SippinTea

Quote from: AmberMarie on May 31, 2007, 02:41:59 PM
Yeah.....I loooooooove Michael Buble!!! You've gota watch the dvd of his concert (i have it  ;))  He has a new cd out...I want it but haven't bought it yet.  I really like all of his songs..he's awesome.  ;)

So...when you come visit me ;) ;) you can bring the DVD and we'll watch it together!

I've got a question for anyone who's been a fan of his...What's up with the Mrs. Jones song? I caught snatches of the lyrics the other day. Is it as questionable/wrong as it sounds? What's the history here?

AmberMarie

I hadn't heard the song until now....and yeah I'd say its about having an affair with a married woman.. :-?

The rest of his songs rock tho! Home, Cuando Cuando, Save the Last Dance, Feelin' Good.....those are some of my favorites.

SippinTea

*laugh* Okay, jes checkin'.  My Dad refers to his 'girlfriend' all the time, but since he's talking about my mom, and since they've been married for 27+ years, I'm pretty sure that's okay. ;) I was hoping that song had some equally harmless story attached to it.  :-?

Hmmm...heard all of those except Cuando Cuando. *goes to search for an audio clip*

MelodyB

Quote from: SippinTea on May 31, 2007, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: Newsman on May 31, 2007, 10:47:45 AM

Yeah, I liked that one too. *sigh* (Confession of a Pentecostal Nun: I've always wanted to learn to dance.  :o  Did I say that? Don't tell on me! Okay, seriously, I've always thought the tradition of the father/daughter dance at weddings was the sweetest thing. Obviously, that's never happening to me! :sadbounce: And that's even aside from the whole romance thing. LOL)

AWWWW So sweet!

SippinTea

alohilani

I love Michael Buble! I heard about him a few years ago and I'm always looking him up on youtube and such. lol

Newsman

I haven't heard Bouble's version, but it is probably a remake of the 'Me and Mrs. Jones," song from the 80's or so, done by a smooth deep-voiced black male singer..can't recall who..yes, my impression of it has always been an affair song.

And, never say never as to what might happen wedding-wise, Lady SippinTea!

To answer your question about where I heard him first, I work for a group of five radio stations..one of them plays his music..oddly enough, today is that station's first day with a new set of calls (call letters, like KABC, or WKY, etc.) They went from KESC to KOCD..still at 103.7, they now have the tag phrase for us to use "KOCD..CD 103.7"

nicolejoy

Quote from: SippinTea on May 31, 2007, 02:48:40 PM
(Confession of a Pentecostal Nun: I've always wanted to learn to dance.  :o  Did I say that? Don't tell on me! Okay, seriously, I've always thought the tradition of the father/daughter dance at weddings was the sweetest thing. Obviously, that's never happening to me! :sadbounce: And that's even aside from the whole romance thing. LOL)

I just wanted to comment - PERSONALLY, I believe, don't let OTHER people's convictions and ideas stand in the way of what you want - as long as it's not against YOUR convictions.

At my wedding, I REALLY wanted to have a "Bridal dance" - just with Berny and I. But I didn't want the whole "dance party" end to the night - so what we did was we had the "bridal dance" RIGHT before we left, and we had everyone stand around us - and then STRAIGHT after that, we had the farewell "circle"...  I'm SOOOO glad that we had it that way!! No one objected either - at least not to me ;)

Soooo... if you want to have a bridal dance, or a father-daughter dance - GO FOR IT!!

SippinTea

Quote from: Newsman on June 01, 2007, 07:33:38 AM
I haven't heard Bouble's version, but it is probably a remake of the 'Me and Mrs. Jones," song from the 80's or so, done by a smooth deep-voiced black male singer..can't recall who..yes, my impression of it has always been an affair song.

:sadbounce:

And, never say never as to what might happen wedding-wise, Lady SippinTea!

:smirk2: In this case, it's never. Really, truly, never. Even _if_....there's absolutely no way I'd get the father/daughter dance.

To answer your question about where I heard him first, I work for a group of five radio stations..one of them plays his music..oddly enough, today is that station's first day with a new set of calls (call letters, like KABC, or WKY, etc.) They went from KESC to KOCD..still at 103.7, they now have the tag phrase for us to use "KOCD..CD 103.7"

*grin* Don't get your tang toungled!

Quote from: nicolejoy on June 01, 2007, 08:04:21 AM
I just wanted to comment - PERSONALLY, I believe, don't let OTHER people's convictions and ideas stand in the way of what you want - as long as it's not against YOUR convictions.

Soooo... if you want to have a bridal dance, or a father-daughter dance - GO FOR IT!!

I appreciate the thought, Nic....but it won't happen. Long story.

Here's a chuckle you can have at my expense: You know Buble's song Home? Well...I know it's romance/love song, but I always think of heaven when I hear it. Goofy, eh? :)

MelodyB

No, I often think of heaven when I hear songs about home. Thats not goofy. That shows where your heart is.

nicolejoy

Quote from: SippinTea on June 01, 2007, 03:26:28 PM
Quote from: nicolejoy on June 01, 2007, 08:04:21 AM

I appreciate the thought, Nic....but it won't happen. Long story.

Here's a chuckle you can have at my expense: You know Buble's song Home? Well...I know it's romance/love song, but I always think of heaven when I hear it. Goofy, eh? :)

That's a really good "thought" about that song...  it'd make a great funeral song (now I'll never think of that song in the same way again ;))

And about the wedding dance thing - I was thinking about it after - if you were doing it with your dad, he'd have to agree too!! And being a pastor, he might not want to ;)

Maybe you can have a "private" dance with him after when no one's watching ;) lol

SippinTea

*listens to a particular Buble song*
*gets all melancholy and sad*
*gives unladylike snort at her own behavior*
*decides it's time to head for bed*

SippinTea

So....I went on Buble's website, and found out there's going to be a concert near here in the next little while....

However...

There's no way I'm paying $65-$85 for a ticket.  :o

AmberMarie

Oh come on...it'd be worth it!  You've gota watch the dvd of his concert....i'd definitely pay $85.

SippinTea

Sorry, Pal. This small town girl thinks that $18 for a ticket is a lot.  :smirk2:

But someday you can lend me the concert DVD. ;)

nicolejoy

The only thing I've ever paid THAAATTT much to go to was when I went to the stage production of "Lion King" - and it was SO WORTH IT!!! It was amazingly awesome... But I wouldn't pay that much for just a concert. If it was a huge production - like Phantom of the Opera or something, I would though... I'd save up ;)

MelodyB

I paid $35.00 to see the Wiggles once...and THAT was an awesome concert!

AmberMarie

Yeah, I think I paid 90 for my lion king tickets....that was an amazing production.  :thumbsup2:

I wouldn't pay much for concerts usually....I've paid about 40 a few times. But, I've paid quite a bit for dinner concerts and other shows of that nature. I would pay for Michael Buble. =)  He came through here last summer when I was in Africa...i'm thinking it was 75 bucks for the balcony.

bishopnl

Hmmm...well, I'm a bit late on this thread, but I just now noticed it.

Anyway...to whoever said they liked the Michael Buble version of Come Fly With Me...Frank Sinatra's version blows that one out of the water.  In fact, most of Michael Buble's remake songs were sung better, in my opinion, by the original artists.  In fact, I've heard Michael Buble's version of Mack the Knife, and I thought Blake Lewis on American Idol did a better job on that song than Michael Buble.

Not that I don't like Michael Buble...but when it comes to American classics, he just isn't as good as other people I've heard.  I'd much prefer Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook albums.  Short of listening to original artists like Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, etc. sing the classics, Rod Stewarts versions are the best modern remakes of those songs (in my very unprofessional opinion.)
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788