News:

Remember to check out the Devotions & Poems forum!

Main Menu

Pet Health

Started by Sis, May 17, 2007, 06:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sis

I found this information and wanted to share it. I don't have any pets but I had never heard of some of these things.

From Good Housekeeping June 2007

Sugar substitutes
Xylitol, a sweetner used in many sugar-free candies, chewing gums, baked goods and toothpastes, can cause low blood sugar and liver damage in dogs. And it doesn't take much to cause problems. (Journal of TheAmerican Veterinary Medical Association

Liquid Potpourri
A cat or dog can be badly burned lapping up hot oils and detergents. Also many of the liquid potpourri ingredients can breed ulcers in the mouth, throat and gastrointestinal tract. Experts also think the formulas are toxic to dogs, but cats appear more sensitive to exposure and are more likely to climb up to reach them.

Medications
Beware of closed childproof containers. Animals can crush them... "I once gave my dog an empty bottle with its cap on and timed how fast she could open it... it took 15 seconds...."

Lilies
They can be lethal to your cat. Ingesting even small amounts can fesult in kidney damage. Dogs can also get sick from eating azalea or rhododendron, which can lead to vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness, depression of the central nervous system and in rare cases, death.

Polyurethane glue
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center reports a 309 per cent increase in glue-related incidents since 2002. When swallowed it g9es to the stomach, absorbsmoisture, and expands to form a large, rock-like mass. It has to be surgically removed.

Onions & Garlic
They contain disulfides, sulfur compounds that can cause gastrointestinal irritation to pets and harm their red blood cells. Tip: Don't let your pet stick his snout in the trash. He may come across any of these possibly lethal things there.

Grapes & Raisins
We're not sure why they're so toxic to dogs but they can trigger gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea, or, more commonly, kidney failure.

Pennies
While a pooch can choke on ANY coin, pennies are particularly dangerous because they're made with zinc, which is toxic to animals. The zinc leaches to the red blood cells, resulting in severe anemia and kidney problems. The newer the penny the more likely it is to be deadly. Pennies minted after 1982 are 99.2 per cent zinc; those minted earlier are only 5 per cent.

Macadamia Nuts
Dogs have become dramatically ill from ingesting just a handful of these. The nuts contain an unknown toxin that can upset your pet's digestive tract and muscles, setting off severe weakness (and sometimes paralysis), mild vomiting, and diarrhea. The good news: Virtually all dogs recover within 48 hours of ingestion, whether or not they're treated by a vet.

Pine-oil Cleaners
Scrub your floor with something else. The phenol in these products can cause serious liver damage in cats. It doesn't take much for a cat to be exposed.

Scott

QuoteSugar substitutes
Xylitol, a sweetner used in many sugar-free candies, chewing gums, baked goods and toothpastes, can cause low blood sugar and liver damage in dogs. And it doesn't take much to cause problems. (Journal of TheAmerican Veterinary Medical Association) 

Demon-dog Jack loves toothpaste and baked goods. Drop a piece of cake on the floor, he gobbles it up.

QuoteLiquid Potpourri
A cat or dog can be badly burned lapping up hot oils and detergents. Also many of the liquid potpourri ingredients can breed ulcers in the mouth, throat and gastrointestinal tract. Experts also think the formulas are toxic to dogs, but cats appear more sensitive to exposure and are more likely to climb up to reach them.

hmmm an idea....   :hypocrite:

QuoteMedications
Beware of closed childproof containers. Animals can crush them... "I once gave my dog an empty bottle with its cap on and timed how fast she could open it... it took 15 seconds...."

He doesn't like them

QuoteLilies
They can be lethal to your cat. Ingesting even small amounts can fesult in kidney damage. Dogs can also get sick from eating azalea or rhododendron, which can lead to vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness, depression of the central nervous system and in rare cases, death.

We don't have flowers, but I can buy some  :freaky2:

QuotePolyurethane glue
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center reports a 309 per cent increase in glue-related incidents since 2002. When swallowed it g9es to the stomach, absorbsmoisture, and expands to form a large, rock-like mass. It has to be surgically removed.

he carries a stupid ball around, I wonder what would happen if I put glue on it?   :laughhard:

QuoteOnions & Garlic
They contain disulfides, sulfur compounds that can cause gastrointestinal irritation to pets and harm their red blood cells. Tip: Don't let your pet stick his snout in the trash. He may come across any of these possibly lethal things there.

Doesn't like Onions and garlic unless its on a pizza

QuoteGrapes & Raisins
We're not sure why they're so toxic to dogs but they can trigger gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea, or, more commonly, kidney failure.

He loves Grapes

QuotePennies
While a pooch can choke on ANY coin, pennies are particularly dangerous because they're made with zinc, which is toxic to animals. The zinc leaches to the red blood cells, resulting in severe anemia and kidney problems. The newer the penny the more likely it is to be deadly. Pennies minted after 1982 are 99.2 per cent zinc; those minted earlier are only 5 per cent.

I am not sharing my money with that mutt   :nono:

QuoteMacadamia Nuts
Dogs have become dramatically ill from ingesting just a handful of these. The nuts contain an unknown toxin that can upset your pet's digestive tract and muscles, setting off severe weakness (and sometimes paralysis), mild vomiting, and diarrhea. The good news: Virtually all dogs recover within 48 hours of ingestion, whether or not they're treated by a vet.

our mutt is a nut

QuotePine-oil Cleaners
Scrub your floor with something else. The phenol in these products can cause serious liver damage in cats. It doesn't take much for a cat to be exposed.

What about dogs???
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

NessasMama

I've heard some of that before. I didn't know about the onions and garlic though.

Thankfully I only have fish!!!!!!
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

Melody

thanks sis.  I knew onions weren't good but did not know about grapes, raisins, garlic or m.nuts.