News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Converting from Windows ME to XP questions!

Started by Scott, May 15, 2007, 04:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Okay I have a compact computer with

a 1 gig processor

40 gig hard drive

512 MB ram

It runs Windows ME

I want to put XP on it but I have older programs in which I do not have install disks.

Someone suggested I just put a new hard drive on it and do a short cut to the old hard drive to access info there.

Whadda ya think?
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

That could work, however, some programs won't run correctly if they are not installed under the operating system that the system is running.  There can be registry entries, that Windows needs in order to run the program as well as other files (e.g. dll files) that need to be installed in specific locations.

If these are older programs, you may be able to find the install disks backed up on the internet.  Search around and see how many you can find.  If you can get all the ones you need, download them and put them on a CD.  There are also people that sell used software cheap.

When going from ME to XP, it's best to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade.
Move along, nothing to see here.

BQNick

Windows ME has to be viewed as one of the biggest flops in the history of Operating Systems.  I agree that a fresh install of XP should be done, because you really don't want to have anything to do with anything from WinME.  If it were me, I would take a good look at the software from the WinME machine and decide if you really need it or if an alternative will do.  A great deal of software for WinME is either free now or there is a freeware alternative.