News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Roger Clemens

Started by darlaj2, May 08, 2007, 02:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darlaj2

So, what does everyone think about Roger Clemens coming out of retirement (again) to play for the Yanks?  I think it is ridiculous and a pure publicity stunt by the Yanks and Roger.  I hope he doesn't have what it takes.....and really wish the Yanks would come in last place this year just to clip their wings a bit.  IMHO.

B

I agree with the Yanks coming in last place. I hate the Yankees. But I like Roger Clemens, and I hope he continues to do well. I don't necessarily agree with his methods (like not attending games), but he's an unbelievable pitcher.

B

newkris

i think someone as good as roger should play as long as he can muster up the stamina to do so.  honestly.  as for the yanks, if they wouldn't be so good, maybe they would stop winning and if they are good enough to win, i hope they win.

of course, i rather like the way the Brewers have started this year  .. . . but that's another thread.  :pwink: 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

bishopnl

I hope Clemens and the Yankees both tank.  (Well, the Yankees are already tanking...but anyway).  That'd be a great addition to an otherwise miserable season.

I can't stand Roger Clemens.  I'll never forget him throwing a fit about what hat he was going to wear in the Hall of Fame.  "I want to be a Yankkkkeeeee....wahhhh!"  Just shut up.  It's an honor to be inducted into the Hall...don't cry about what hat you're going to wear.  Plus, he's played for both the Red Sox, Yankees, and Astros.  The only way I could hate him more is if he signed with the Cubs.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

darlaj2

Whew--I am glad I am not the only person that feels the way you do bishopnl  :thumbsup2:

B

I just heard Dan Patrick say something on ESPN radio.

Quote from: Dan Patrick
Roger Clemens had this same deal with the Houston Astros last year, and no one said anything.

His point was, now that it's the Yankees, there's an outcry that Clemens is getting preferential treatment, but while he was with the Astros, nobody cared.

Obviously, the terms "no one" and "nobody" can't be taken literally. :teeth:

B

bishopnl

Quote from: GlassDarkly on May 09, 2007, 06:18:30 PM
I just heard Dan Patrick say something on ESPN radio.

Quote from: Dan Patrick
Roger Clemens had this same deal with the Houston Astros last year, and no one said anything.

His point was, now that it's the Yankees, there's an outcry that Clemens is getting preferential treatment, but while he was with the Astros, nobody cared.

Obviously, the terms "no one" and "nobody" can't be taken literally. :teeth:

B

I thought it was only like 18 or 20 million last year...although, granted, I think he also may have started later for the Astros last year than he did this year for the Yankees.  I can't quite remember, and I'm too lazy to look it up.  And its no doubt going to bring more ire b/c of the Yankees history...and the fact that the Red Sox and Astros seemed, at least, to be in greater contention this year for his services.

Irregardless, I hated Clemens last year, so its no skin off my nose.  I hope he does terrible and ends the season with a losing record and a sky high ERA.  That would be awesome.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

B

I'm just as lazy. haha! I don't feel like looking it up, either. Dan said it was the same deal. *shrugs*

Also, I heard something else interesting. All the "perks" that Clemens gets wasn't originally his idea at all. It was the Astros idea in an attempt to lure him out of retirement. Now, I don't agree with all of the perks. I just thought that was interesting.

B

darlaj2

I think the fact that Roger feels he doesn't have to travel with the team shows his disrespect for his team mates.  To me it is arrogant.  The money isn't a big deal in my book--because NY has money to pay...but with Roger coming out of retirement is arrogant, the fact that he doesn't want to/aint gonna travel is arrogant, and the fact that he will play once a week is arrogant.  It is like he is saying "I am so good, I will briefly grace NY with my presence, play once a week and I am so good that I will not travel....and still make 20 million a year."  Hope you hurt your arm, get hit with a line drive--from Sammy Sosa and have to regret coming "out of retirement."

myhaloisintheshop

Darla...you crack me up!

B

Quote from: Darlaj2 on May 09, 2007, 08:46:47 PM
I think the fact that Roger feels he doesn't have to travel with the team shows his disrespect for his team mates.  To me it is arrogant.
but with Roger coming out of retirement is arrogant, the fact that he doesn't want to/aint gonna travel is arrogant...

This was my point. :teeth: I don't agree with his not traveling. I think it's disrespectful to the rest of the team. However, it wasn't originally his idea. It was the Astros' idea. So, I sort of understand how he could get used to something that was given to him and decide that he wants to continue to have it in the future. That being said, I still don't agree with it. I think a lot of the blame goes to the Yankees (and other teams) that continue to give him those privileges.

and the fact that he will play once a week is arrogant.  It is like he is saying "I am so good, I will briefly grace NY with my presence, play once a week...

Pitchers only pitch every 5th day. So technically, he'd only be playing once a week even if he was at every single game. :teeth:

Hope you hurt your arm, get hit with a line drive--from Sammy Sosa and have to regret coming "out of retirement."

:o That's not very nice. lol

B

bishopnl

This from Wikipedia (for what it's worth):

On May 31, 2006, following another extended period of speculation, it was announced that Roger Clemens was coming out of retirement for the third time to pitch for the Astros for the remainder of the 2006 season. Clemens signed a contract worth $22,000,022 (his uniform number is #22), which would have been the highest one-year deal in MLB history. But since Clemens did not play a full season, he received a prorated percentage of that: approximately $12.25 million.

On May 6, 2007, Roger Clemens announced from the owner's box at Yankee Stadium that he has rejoined the Yankees roster[12]. According to the New York Post, Clemens will sign a contract worth between $20-24 million pro-rated over the entire season[13]. ESPN reported a pro-rated salary of $28 million dollars, or about $4.5 million per month between June and September. Clemens is on track to debut in the majors sometime in early June.

So it appears that he will receive more money this year than last...but he's also starting earlier, as I said.  It doesn't appear that the difference in salary is huge...I guess we'll have to see how much of the 28 million he gets.  Last year he didn't start until late June...this year he'll be starting approximately a month earlier.

B

Cool... thanks, bishopnl. :thumbsup2:

B

TRAV

*yawn*

<--------watches the Yankees kick your butts!
PROVERBS 3:5,6

BQNick

Even though the Yankees are 1-5 against my Boston Red Sox this year, they still played us hard in most every game.  Now they're doing better and I think it's clear that their early struggles can be contributed to pitching injuries.  It was a joke how poorly their starters were pitching and how blown out their relievers were getting for having to pitch in so many games.  I think that once their starters (including Clemens, eventually) settle down, then they'll look like the team everyone expected them to be.  There's no question that they've got one of the top offenses in the league. 

Scott

Actually, when it comes down to it.... as much as I like the Tigers, Yankees, Cubs, Reds, Cleveland and Oakland..

I find myself cheering for the following teams to LOSE

Dodgers
Red Socks
Orioles
Twins
Giants  (please Barry Bonds retire today!!!!)
Brewers
Mets
Padres

it is more fan that way.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

darlaj2

Quote from: BQNick on May 10, 2007, 02:51:19 PM
There's no question that they've got one of the top offenses in the league. 

Absolutely agreed!  However, when you have to buy a world series--is there really much to brag about?  Not that they have won a series in several years (thank the Lord) but when you have to try to buy a win--then it takes the fun out of it.

bishopnl

Alex Rodriguez has been absolutely unbelievable this year.  I'm wondering whether he's going to stick around New York after this season....

QuoteI find myself cheering for the following teams to LOSE

How could you possibly cheer for the Yankees over the Red Sox?  I hate the Red Sox with a passion, but they are still a step up from the Yankees....

darlaj2

Quote from: bishopnl on May 11, 2007, 02:15:57 PM
Alex Rodriguez has been absolutely unbelievable this year.  I'm wondering whether he's going to stick around New York after this season....

Yeah, but who can afford him?  I am sure there are a lot of teams that would love to have him--but there are none as rich as the Yanks and a few that have money to spend--but will they want to spend it all on one player?

bishopnl

QuoteYeah, but who can afford him?  I am sure there are a lot of teams that would love to have him--but there are none as rich as the Yanks and a few that have money to spend--but will they want to spend it all on one player?

He won't get nearly as much as he did with the Rangers when he signed the 252 million dollar contract.  That won't happen again.  However, if the Cubs were willing to pay Alfonso Soriano 136 million...its not unreasonable to think that some other big spending team might be willing to pay him 150 million. 

QuoteI think that once their starters (including Clemens, eventually) settle down, then they'll look like the team everyone expected them to be.  There's no question that they've got one of the top offenses in the league. 

They are already doing better...they're third in the division and are 7-3 in their last 10 games...so I think you're right.  They still have Pettite, who's been decent this year.

BQNick

Quote from: Darlaj2 on May 10, 2007, 11:11:24 PM

Absolutely agreed!  However, when you have to buy a world series--is there really much to brag about?  Not that they have won a series in several years (thank the Lord) but when you have to try to buy a win--then it takes the fun out of it.

These days, I'm less and less inclined to accept the "they bought a world series" argument.  Teams spend wildly varying amounts of money with all kinds of results.  The Marlins have proven that you don't have to spend much money to win a World Series and the Angels, Red Sox and Yankees have shown that spending a lot of money can certainly help to win a World Series.  But so much of it comes down to clutch pitching and consistent offense that I don't think I would say that anyone is really buying a World Series anymore.  There is so much money being thrown around the baseball marketplace (this past off-season was a perfect example) that winning, losing and middle-of-the-pack teams have been shelling out the big bucks.  It comes down to having the right people and the right circumstances, regardless of whether they come about via free agency or home-grown talent.  For example, with the Red Sox, it has certainly been the case that the health of the pitching staff almost directly correlates with success.  When they won the 2004 World Series, none of their starting pitchers had missed even one start that season.  Nearly the same pitching staff went into the next season and got blown away by the White Sox in the first round of the playoffs.  So far this year, the pitchers have been healthy and the Sox are doing well.  However, if Josh Beckett's finger avulsion causes him to miss time (or pitch poorly), then everything's up for grabs again.