News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Infant soy has been under investigation

Started by Sis, April 29, 2007, 05:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sis

Infant Soy Formula Under Investigation

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has convened a scientific panel to review the safety of soy baby formula and genistein, a plant estrogen found in soy.

Genistein can mimic the effects of estrogen in humans, which has raised concerns about effects on human development and reproduction. The panel intends to look into these possible effects, such as the research that suggests soy consumption could affect the menstrual cycle.

The panel will create a report on the matter in six to eight weeks. Any possible government action would then be up to agencies such as the FDA.

USA Today March 15, 2006

newkris

that's interesting in light of the vegan couple sentenced for life for starving their baby.  although . . . i don't think it was the soy milk as much as it was their lack of parenting, obviously.  i'm not sure about the whole dynamic, but something just didn't click with that family. 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

InChristGirl

I wouldn't worry about the soy so much if I knew they didn't process the heck out of it.

Sis

Soy Formula Kills Three Babies

The "Remedia" brand of soy-based baby formula appears to have caused or contributed to three infant deaths and illness among other babies.

The formula, which is sold as a Kosher feed and is thought to be popular among Orthodox Jewish communities in New York and other areas, did not contain enough vitamin B1, which is vital to brain development. A company representative said that tests have shown the formula contained at least 10 times less B1 than was advertised.

An investigation is still underway to determine for sure whether the absence of B1 was to blame for the deaths and illnesses. The product has been recalled in Israel and parents who have fed their babies the formula are urged to get them booster shots of the vitamin.

BBC News November 10, 2003

That spoonful may be deficient in linoleic and oleic essential fatty acids, DHA-brain-growth factor, epidermal growth factor, lactoferrin, casomorphin and immune factors such as IgA, neutrophils, macrophages, T-cells, B-cells and interferon - all provided by the mother in breast milk to defend her baby.

On the other hand, Baumslag says, that spoonful does contain phytates, protease factors, soy lectins, enormous amounts of phytoproteins, and genistein and daidzen, both moderate estrogen mimics in humans.

"Why deprive the newborn infants of perfectly good breast milk - a nutritionally superior food in every way for the baby - and feed them soy beans?" Baumslag asks.

Insight Magazine

Soy Formula Exposes Infants To High Hormone Levels

Soy has high amounts of phyto-estrogens, or plant based chemicals that mimic estrogen. They possess a wide range of hormonal and non-hormonal activities. The daily exposure of infants who consume soy formulas was 6-11 times higher than adults consuming soy foods.

The blood concentration of these hormones was 13,000 to 22,000 times higher than estrogen in the blood. The authors of this article speculate that this concentration may be sufficient to exert biological effects, whereas the contribution from breast-milk or cow-milk is negligible.

INSIGHT: As mentioned in issue #11, soy has many problems and it is not really designed to be consumed as a food unless it is fermented as in tempeh or misso. If you know someone who is using soy formula you might want to share this information with them and encourage them to consider other options.

Obviously, breast milk is best. I have found that even though it is from cow's milk, Carnation Good Start (under six months) seems to work well for most children as it is 80% hydrolyzed. This means that most of the protein is broken down and predigested to cause less of an allergic reaction.

Lancet July 5, 1997 350(9070) 23-27

Perhaps the most disturbing of soy's ill effects on health has to do with its phytoestrogens that can mimic the effects of the female hormone estrogen. These phytoestrogens have been found to have adverse effects on various human tissues, and drinking even two glasses of soy milk daily for one month has enough of the chemical to alter a woman's menstrual cycle. The FDA regulates estrogen-containing products, however no warnings exist on soy. Two senior toxicologists with the FDA. Daniel Sheehan and Daniel Doerge, have even come out saying "The public will be put at potential risk from soy isoflavones in soy protein isolate without adequate warning and information." Soy is particularly problematic for infants, and soy infant formulas should be avoided. It has been estimated that infants who are fed soy formula exclusively receive five birth control pills worth of estrogen every day...

shep252

I was fed soy milk because I would get sick with milk based formula. My mother couldn't breast feed.  So unfortunately, I was fed soy.  Needless to say, my growth had been stunted.  I am still a small person.  My cycles are normal now though, and I seem to be healthy, besides taking meds for my thyroid.  I do wish that I had breastfed, but what can I do?