News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Ask Mr Minnesota

Started by Sis, March 29, 2008, 04:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SippinTea

Mini, do you think respect should be unconditional, in the same way that love should be?

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

mini

Sipper,

I read this question several weeks ago, and I have been mulling it over.  Very good question.

The short answer is no.

The long answer is no also, but let me explain.

Love is built on trust.  I can say I love my wife, and her faithfulness every day enhances that love.  I trust her.  We strive for unconditional love, we want to be loved unconditionally, but when we honestly ask ourselves if we love unconditionally, it is difficult to honestly say yes.  A friend we love lies about us, it is hard for us to trust them.  Our spouse is unfaithful, it is hard for us to trust.  Even if our friend or spouse is repentant, we suddenly we find ourselves putting conditions out for them to meet.  We expect the unfaithful to be faithful in everything and very open, or our trust wanes even more.  Our friend may draw close, but we are a little wary of them.  We have conditions set in place.

True, God loves.  And we talk about his unconditional love.  However, that means he loves us completely, yet expects us to follow the rules he set up.  He loves us, but will not break his rules because he loves us.

On the other hand, I believe respect is earned.  You may respect a position that the person hold.  You may have heard the accolades that is heaped on a person by others.  But you still don't respect them.

You may be respectful of a minister because he is a minister.  But if that same man is a jerk to those around him, you have no respect for the man himself.

Everyone wants a little respect.  From the bum to the banker.

I think one key is the ones who DEMAND respect.  I have had the distinct privilege of meeting several people of celebrity status.  I have had several others in here at our little skyway.  A couple that comes readily to mind (yet unnamed :grin:) were at the completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

One flew in and had a air of arrogance that permeated the air around him.  I am positive he had to have nose surgery to turn his stuck up nose down so he wouldn't drown if it rained.  He wouldn't even give the time of day to anyone.  Do I respect him?  Absolutely not.  He has not and will not earn my respect.

The other I think about was a even bigger celebrity than the first.  Very well known on the silver screen, and a legend on the Internet.  When his plane landed, my lineman was on his way to see if he could help, and this man hopped off the plane, ran over to my lineman, shook his hand like my lineman was the greatest guy he had ever met, talked to him till his ride got here, and then drove off.  Do I respect him?  Yes, in a limited way. He had not allowed his status in life to override his humility in the situation.  And my lineman remembers him fondly to this day.

I have people in my life that I once respected but do not any longer.  I love them, I pray for them, but they are no longer men that I look up to in life.  A bad decision is one thing, but a lack of character, and continual bad decisions with the "everyone else be cursed" mindset tends to do that.

Why?  Because respect is earned.  Once you deplete that account with those around you, you have a very hard time getting it back.  Respect is tied in very closely with character, and when you ruin your character, it ruins the respect you have earned.

-Jeremy
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

The Purple Fuzzy

* The Purple Fuzzy applauds

Well said.

SippinTea

Good thoughts, Mini.

I've been doing a lot of thinking over the respect issue after reading a few books on the topic last year. One of the most thought-provoking was Love and Respect (Eggerichs).

When I talked to The Purple Fuzzy about it, she gave me a very similar answer to the one you just gave.

I'm mulling it over because of that passage in Scripture where men are commanded to love their wives, and wives are commanded to respect their husbands. In general, wives seem to think being unconditionally loved is a good thing, but they don't always agree that respecting their husbands unconditionally should be expected of them.

It would be easy to say that a wife should respect her husband (even if she doesn't agree with all of his decisions) provided he is doing his best to follow God, and make the best choices he can for the good of his family. But those verses don't say 'only if he's a believer'.

Maybe that's what I'm bumping my nose on. *grin*

Love and trust are not mutually exclusive. And neither are respect and approval.

I can (and do) genuinely love a person I can't trust. And I can (and do) respect a person that I don't entirely approve of.

Not sure I'm making much sense to anyone but me. :updown:

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your views. :)

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

SippinTea

MelodyB

Did you know that I drive a Jeep now, and I am SOOOOO happy with it?

mini

No way!  What kind is it?  (im a fan of just about all of them...)
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

MelodyB

Its a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Its gold, and I have a duckie on the antennea.

Brannon, Ruby, Chel, Mary, Jennie, TriciaLea, and Justin have all ridden in it.

Until I get a better pic, this is the only one I have, I took it from my phone. LOL

BeccaBoo

Do Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly. Micah 6:8

Sis

I had Tweety on our antenna and someone stole it while Stevebert was at work!

Now we have a regular smiley with a cowboy hat on.

Here are a couple for Mel

And one for Chel.

OK! I'm done hijacking Mr Mini's thread now.

mini

Quote from: MelodyB on April 30, 2009, 07:40:54 PM
Its a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Its gold, and I have a duckie on the antennea.

Brannon, Ruby, Chel, Mary, Jennie, TriciaLea, and Justin have all ridden in it.

Until I get a better pic, this is the only one I have, I took it from my phone. LOL

Those are nice jeeps.  Congrats!

iridiscente

We just sold a maroon Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Newsman

How was the fish fry?

Have you seen my wife up north?

John  :waving:

mini

The fish fry was great.  Plenty of fish, hushpuppies, and a bunch of other stuff.

And if you are still chasing a certain nurse, she is north to Alaska...

Newsman

Nooo, Emily is in the past...although, if she's become cold and abusive in Alaska, hmmm... :)

John  :waving:

mini

[disclaimer] I know im gonna get some pounding from this...Im posting the following just for the onerousness of it...LOL :bigcheese: [/disclaimer]

Well, to quote Michael W. Smith...

Go west young man
Go west young man
When the evil go east
Go west young man
Go west young man
Find a heart thats golden

Hum...golden gate bridge....

*sings (for Johnboy)*
The loveliness of Paris
Seems somehow sadly gay
The glory that was Rome
Is of another day
I've been terribly alone
And forgotten in Manhattan
I'm going home to my city by the bay.

I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill, it calls to me.
To be where little cable cars
Climb halfway to the stars!
The morning fog may chill the air
I don't care!

My love waits there in San Francisco
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, San Francisco,
Your golden sun will shine for me!

:grin:

SippinTea

:rotfl: Mini, you are SO asking to be pounded by at least two people on here!

:popcorn: *sits and waits to watch the show*

mini

EricShane

ROFLOL Mini

even as Blonde as I am, I got that one!

haha
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

RainbowJingles

*shaking her head*
:nono:  Cut it out, Mini!!
I'm already in more investigations than I need to be!
*hands on hips*

Wait a minute!!!  You're talking about the investigator here, aren't you??  Hmmm...
Come to think of it...  I may as well get better acquainted with the investigator.  :freaky2:  Maybe then he'll stop trying to make much ado about nothing much.

mini

Quote from: RainbowJingles on May 29, 2009, 04:59:54 AM
Come to think of it...  I may as well get better acquainted with the investigator.  :freaky2:

And there you have it folks.  No editing needed.    :bigcheese:

RainbowJingles

I give up.

:couch:

I'm becoming investigatable again, and there isn't even anyone on the other side of the investigation to be investigated.  :tearhair:
I'm not dating anyone.  I'm not "talking to" anyone.  I'm not even getting :freaky2: from anyone!
:reaction:

It's worse than showing up at the Pig Out Palace with no appetite!
:smirk2:

mini

Woah...hold the phone.  You know about Pig Out Palace?  In Oklahoma?

RainbowJingles

lol  I've heard about it from a couple reliable sources.