News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

GM Bailout

Started by Brother Dad, November 15, 2008, 06:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Dad

As everyone knows the Democrats are wanting to help the poor again by bailing out General Motors.  You one of the Big auto makers.  My son-in-law has a better plan that would help GM, Chrysler, and Ford.  Just send a check to every family in America so we could go buy a new America owned car.  That way we all benefit.  Number 1.  The poor folks get a new car.  2. The auto makers will get the money from the sell of the cars.  The dealer makes the money from the car.  3. The car washes will probably stay busier because we all shinny new cars and want to keep them that way.  The gas company would make more money because we would want to ride around in our clean, shiny, new car. 4  The restaurants would be busier because we would get hungry while we were driving and would want to stop and eat.  I think it sounds like a much better plan than paying bonus to CEOs.  What do you think? 
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Tricia Lea

I heard on the news the money they are going  to try to loan them is more than the companies are worth

Melody

GM/Chevy should just merge with Ford and get it over with.   :smirk2:

Sis

Well, they already bailed out Lee Iacoca once.

MelodyB

Quote from: Brother Dad on November 15, 2008, 06:38:30 AM
As everyone knows the Democrats are wanting to help the poor again by bailing out General Motors.  You one of the Big auto makers.  My son-in-law has a better plan that would help GM, Chrysler, and Ford.  Just send a check to every family in America so we could go buy a new America owned car.  That way we all benefit.  Number 1.  The poor folks get a new car.  2. The auto makers will get the money from the sell of the cars.  The dealer makes the money from the car.  3. The car washes will probably stay busier because we all shinny new cars and want to keep them that way.  The gas company would make more money because we would want to ride around in our clean, shiny, new car. 4  The restaurants would be busier because we would get hungry while we were driving and would want to stop and eat.  I think it sounds like a much better plan than paying bonus to CEOs.  What do you think? 

Thats a really great plan!! Go Roy!! ;)
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Brother Dad

I was thinking Obama said something about spreading the wealth, or redistribution of finances.  Well why not start at the bottom and work up?  Of Obama should be all for this plan since he is against giving money to the wealthy.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Nelle

As far as I can tell, a marriage of one sinking ship and one ship approaching its iceberg will not make this any better...  (My apologies, Titanic.)

Anyhow. It's weird.. I don't like seeing things chaotic. Maybe if the media would back off the gloom-and-doom, ordinary uninformed people would spaz out less.

Brother Dad

Quote from: Nelle on November 17, 2008, 07:45:50 AM

Anyhow. It's weird.. I don't like seeing things chaotic. Maybe if the media would back off the gloom-and-doom, ordinary uninformed people would spaz out less.
Never could truer words be spoken.  The news likes to keep people stirred up.  The media decide what we hear and don't hear, so they can drive us to do what they want.

Newsman

Did someone call?  :P (the media is here!)

I like your premise post, Bro. Dad!  :thumbsup2:

John  :waving:

EricShane

if GM or Ford would make vehicles as good as Toyota and Honda people would buy them.
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Nelle

hehe.. I told Dad that "maybe one of them ferners should take 'em all over" haha..

In jest. :)

EricShane

Quote from: Nelle on November 20, 2008, 02:24:21 AM
hehe.. I told Dad that "maybe one of them ferners should take 'em all over" haha..

In jest. :)
lol
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

dnr1128

You guys know why you don't see too many vehicles on the road made by Leyland?  Because they don't make cars anymore, even after being "bailed out" by the British taxpayers.  Even though they got over $16 billion from Her Majesty's piggy bank, they still went into the toilet, because their quality was poor, and they couldn't compete with foreign auto makers. 

Fact is, bailouts don't work.  Never have, and never will, because they allow a failing business to continue failing, instead of looking at why they're failing.  American automakers are failing because they pay too much in labor costs (thank you UAW) and have lousy quality (why work hard when you have a guarenteed good job?  Again, thank you UAW). 

The American automakers need to serve notice to the labor unions that they will be have an across-the-board pay cut, and if they don't like it, they can quit, and other people will take their jobs.  I'd be willing to bet that most of the workers would rather work for less pay than for nothing. 

Read this for some good points:

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/auto_bailout/2008/11/20/153588.html
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Brother Dad

Quote from: dnr1128 on November 23, 2008, 11:55:30 PM

The American automakers need to serve notice to the labor unions that they will be have an across-the-board pay cut, and if they don't like it, they can quit, and other people will take their jobs.  I'd be willing to bet that most of the workers would rather work for less pay than for nothing. 

Right on, and if they quit there are a lot of people looking for jobs.

BrothaJason

I think what amazes me most about all this is they have almost spent 8 trillion dollars now..

dnr1128

And for nothing....  a bailout is like putting a Band-Aid on a cut artery.  It may slow down the bleeding for a very short time, but it does nothing to deal with the problem.  The big three American Automakers have been hemorrhaging money for years, because back in the 80s their quality hit rock bottom.  Now, even though they've drastically improved their quality, they're too far behind in the race to catch up.  This bailout is nothing more than useless waste of taxpayer dollars.  Add it to the list of the other wastes (welfare, exorbitant education spending, supporting troops all over the world for no reason, etc etc).  It's no big deal, because the Fed will just print the money it needs, since that's what they've been doing for years.   
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Chseeads

I don't even understand how a bailout would be supposed to help....  The auto market has dropped off...people aren't buying cars at the present.  So they can't just keep cranking them off the assembly line if there's no demand for them and expect anything to work.....I don't quite get the big picture with it...lol