News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Are you Happy

Started by Dew-Ax-238, November 05, 2008, 07:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you happy with who won the Election For President?

Yes
4 (14.8%)
No
19 (70.4%)
Who Cares
4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Dew-Ax-238

So Folks are you happy with the results of who won for President? If you want to share how you feel please do so
Isaiah 43:2    
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee: and through the rivers, when thou walkest through the shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shall not be burned: neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

Nelle

I choose to be happy no matter the outcomes.. :)

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Nelle

jdcord

Quote from: MelodyB on November 05, 2008, 07:59:20 AM
I am not amused.

*L*

Me neither.  ......... then again, I wouldn't be amused if McCain had won either.  When the battle is to try and elect the lesser evil, "evil" still wins no matter who gets elected. 

:sadbounce:

Wanda:   Two wrongs don't make a right.
Cosmo:   But three rights make a left,...

Richard

I am not so much happy as cautiously satisfied.  I believe that the better candidate won...but these times are far too serious for me to be celebrating too much.
Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state. -Noam Chomsky

Chérie

I am really just more or less shocked. To be honest, even though I was rooting for Obama, I held onto a certain amount of caution. I'd hear Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews talk about how it was going to be a landslide victory for Obama. I really did not see him winning a big victory in the South - and he didn't.

So I'm happy, but still cautious. After seeing the Palin rallies - I've come to realize that there are alot of crazies in America....
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

Brother Dad

I am not happy with the outcome of the election.  But I am happy with in Whom I know I trust.  And I am satisfied that God now expects me to pray that God leads Obama and gives him the wisdom and the courage to do what he has to do.  Remember the President is nothing but a person.  God is now and will always be in control.  To those who feel that they lost the election and those who feel they won, let me say it is time to forget which party I am with and remember I am a child of God.  We must stand together for unity and pray for God to Bless America.   
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

BenJammin

Quote from: Chérie on November 05, 2008, 03:25:51 PMSo I'm happy, but still cautious. After seeing the Palin rallies - I've come to realize that there are alot of crazies in America....

Ditto for the Obama rallies.  People are like sheep.  You can lead them to the edge of a cliff and throw a little green grass over the edge, then watch them fall to their doom.

Running a good campaign and being a good candidate, doesn't a good president make.  Considering Obama raised $600,000,000 compared to the $84,000,000 (7:1 ratio) that McCain was entitled to due to accepting the public financing (since Obama promised to, then pulled a "gotcha"), Obama should have won by 25% points.  Tells me that had Obama kept his campaign finance pledge, it would have been a much closer election and would probably have gone the other way.

Now, with a Democrat super-majority (House/Senate/President) the Dems will be able to ramrod any legislation they choose - w/ or w/o the Repubs help.  We'll see what the electorate says in 2 or 3 yrs when Obama is unable to deliver on all of his promises because the country just can't justify or afford the huge increases to the budget.  Of course, they will most likely go ahead and lower that "middle-class income" threshold even further so that taxes can be raised on an even greater portion of the population.
"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." ~Anonymous~

"Courage is not the absence of fear; rather the understanding that something else is more important than fear" ~Ambrose Redmoon~

bishopnl

QuoteTells me that had Obama kept his campaign finance pledge, it would have been a much closer election and would probably have gone the other way.

I've got to disagree.  Even with the money disparity, John McCain was winning until the financial meltdown.  Even though he ran a sloppy campaign, I think he would have had a good chance of winning except for the financial crash.  He was pretty much killed by circumstances beyond his control.

People didn't know where to affix the blame, so they pinned it on Bush, and that trickled down to the McCain camp.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Richard

Quote from: Brother Dad on November 05, 2008, 03:38:35 PM
I am not happy with the outcome of the election.  But I am happy with in Whom I know I trust.  And I am satisfied that God now expects me to pray that God leads Obama and gives him the wisdom and the courage to do what he has to do.  Remember the President is nothing but a person.  God is now and will always be in control.  To those who feel that they lost the election and those who feel they won, let me say it is time to forget which party I am with and remember I am a child of God.  We must stand together for unity and pray for God to Bless America.   

That is right!
Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state. -Noam Chomsky

Melody

ah!  I thought it was a general question.  I can't change my vote now!  I am not happy with the outcome but in the long run, it matters little.

Bliss

I really thought McCain was going to win, so I was shocked. It felt really weird to me when Obama won I think maybe because we have had 8 years of President Bush, and I think things are going to be really different.

Anyway, I pray and hope Obama turns out to be a good president.

drummr

As a moderate, I was for McCain.  However, I can't help but enjoy the historic significance
of this election as well.

I believe now, as I always have, that this gentleman will hold the presidency, but the Lord
still holds the throne. 

I believe, as Mike Huckabee stated on his show, that regardless of how I voted, this man will
be my president.  He deserves the honor and respect that the office brings, just like our previous
presidents (including President Bush and President Clinton).  He deserves my support and the benefit
of any doubt as he tackles unprecedented challenges.  He deserves my fervent prayer, as every election
brings us that much closer to the end time tribulation, which appears nearly upon us. 

"Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:"
1 Peter 1:22

Bliss

Quote from: drummr on November 11, 2008, 02:30:18 AM
As a moderate, I was for McCain.  However, I can't help but enjoy the historic significance
of this election as well.

I believe now, as I always have, that this gentleman will hold the presidency, but the Lord
still holds the throne. 

I believe, as Mike Huckabee stated on his show, that regardless of how I voted, this man will
be my president.  He deserves the honor and respect that the office brings, just like our previous
presidents (including President Bush and President Clinton).  He deserves my support and the benefit
of any doubt as he tackles unprecedented challenges.  He deserves my fervent prayer, as every election
brings us that much closer to the end time tribulation, which appears nearly upon us. 

I feel the same way. We should support and pray for our president.

Brother Dad

Quote from: drummr on November 11, 2008, 02:30:18 AM

still holds the throne. 

Amen, I don't have to like him as President, but I must respect him as President and pray for God to lead him.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

BenJammin

Quote from: drummr on November 11, 2008, 02:30:18 AMegardless of how I voted, this man will be my president.  He deserves the honor and respect that the office brings, just like our previous presidents (including President Bush and President Clinton).  He deserves my support and the benefit of any doubt as he tackles unprecedented challenges.

Funny how  the libs (not insinuating you are...) will say this about Obama, but had McCain been elected they would have held a diametrically opposed opinion.
"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." ~Anonymous~

"Courage is not the absence of fear; rather the understanding that something else is more important than fear" ~Ambrose Redmoon~

Sis

They weren't showing Bush much respect the last couple of years, did they?

Brother Dad

Quote from: Sis on November 11, 2008, 09:05:14 AM
They weren't showing Bush much respect the last couple of years, did they?
Some never did, but we must show that we will do what is right no matter who is in the White House.  Because our leader is God.

bishopnl

Sorry, but I don't ever give any government official the benefit of the doubt, be they Democrat or Republican. And I'll pray for Obama, the same as any president.  But I won't give him my support unless he does something I actually support, and based on his record and his rhetoric, there aren't many moves he's going to make that I will support. 

And Sis, you're right.  It's hilarious to me to see how liberals everywhere are crying for "national unity" and saying how we've got to get behind Obama and blah blah blah....the same liberals who claimed Bush was the personification of pure evil and spent the last 8 years fighting his every move.

This is why I've lost any faith that I ever had in the GOP.  Liberals believe that conservatism is a corrupt and immoral philosophy that needs to be fought whether they are in the minority or the majority, but for some reason, Republicans never get it.  They never feel the same about liberalism.  When Clinton nominated Ruth Bader Ginsburg to the Supreme Court, she was confirmed by a 96-3 vote...despite the fact that she was a liberal whack job.  Yet when Reagan nominated Robert Bork in 1987, just 6 years before that, he was voted down 52-48, and when Bush nominated Sam Alito, he was only confirmed by a 52-48 vote.  If you look at the amount of federal judges confirmed the last 8 years and compare it to previous administrations, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. 

Now, after 8 years of liberal Republicanism, it appears that the GOP is again just going to roll over and give a big thumbs up to whatever the liberal agenda is.  I'm sick of both parties, because both, to one degree or another, are supportive of a political philosophy that is morally bankrupt and not in any way constitutionally sound.  As long as Obama adheres to this philosophy, he is wholly unworthy of my support or my trust, regardless of the office he holds.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

drummr

I have to say that I believe the Lord was apolitical, as he knew who was
really in charge.  I would argue that, largely, Christians should be apolitical as
well, since our battle is not against this flesh and blood but against the principalities
and powers who will ultimately do the will of God anyway. 

I believe that all principality and power is granted authority from the Lord, to do
good or evil according to His ultimate plan.  All of the presidents will stand before
God to answer for their use of the power granted to them by God.  While we may be part
of that judgment in that day, I do not believe we are part of it today.

I worry about hyper-partisanship and hyper-criticism of our leaders for our own sakes. 
This is not directed at anyone but myself, but this is what I believe:

2 Peter 2

9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the
    unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government.
      Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil  of dignities
11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things
      that they understand not
; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time.
      Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

This passage worries me because I know that even with great wisdom, there is not one of us who
can know enough to make a pure judgment.  Here's another:

Jude
8  Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
9  Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses,
    durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

Michael, the most powerful angel, did not dare bring accusations against the devil.  Why is that?
Because the devil was given dominion over certain things and Michael was actually treading on his authorized turf.
The Lord was the only one who had the power to override that authority.

"Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:"

jdcord

I agree with Bishop.  I can pray for a president (and "support him" in that manner), but I'm not going to give him my overall support just because he happens to be president.

I mean, am I supposed to suddenly support him in his attempts to implement the very things I was against him for before he was even elected?  Am I supposed to suddenly support the very things I have stood against, just so that I can say that I am "supporting" the current president??

That's crazy!  I'll continue to stand against his policies and his political platform, just as I have since he first announced his candidacy.  The fact that he has now been elected is not going to cause me to turn and "support" that which I stand against.  My political ideology - my "platform", if you will - is still the same, no matter who gets elected.

Wanda:   Two wrongs don't make a right.
Cosmo:   But three rights make a left,...

drummr

I think, ultimately, we are saying the same thing.

I would not support a pro-abortion stance, for instance, because it is contrary
to the will of God.  I can disagree with policies, as I disagreed with the Iraq war,
without resorting to uninformed accusation. 

I am not going to stand against the president just because he is a member of a
party whose platform is composed of many things I disagree with, especially
given the fact that no political party represents the totality of my views. 

I understand that my views, while important to me, are not necessarily representative
of perfect wisdom, Christian or otherwise.  This is the benefit of the doubt that I
mentioned.  I've defended President Bush on the grounds that I possess a fraction
of the information that qualifies him to make certain decisions, good or bad.
I will observe, with great interest, the actions of our new president in addressing the
troubling issues of our day with the sure knowledge that certain things must happen for
the Lord to return.  Each new president has an extraordinary opportunity to stand on
the side of truth, or to be as Judas, a man for whom it would have been better not to
have been born.

bishopnl

Cliff,

We've had this discussion before ad nauseum.  I agree with your assessment that God does not side with political parties, and that leaders will stand before God to answer for the use of the power they had.

However, here is my issue with the implications given by the bolded part of the scriptures you quote.  It seems, and maybe I'm mistaken here, that you are saying that we are not to question government, because God has given them authority and we cannot "tread" on that turf, so to speak.

Dignities in those verses are interpeted by other translations as "celestial beings" and the government referred to is translated as power, dominion, or lordship.  These verses clearly aren't dealing with our earthly government, especially if you look at the context of the scriptures.  Clearly, the scripture is dealing with men who are speaking of the supernatural.  

Further, the earthly government we have is based on the Constitution, which is the "power" that is ordained by God in our earthly system.  The government must be in alignment with the Constitution.  If it isn't, it is the government, and not us, who is despising authority.  I refuse to put my trust in Obama and answer to God that I wasn't smart enough to give a pure judgement on his motives.  Judgement begins at the house of God.  If Obama is not in compliance with either scripture or the Constitution, how can I justify following him based on that kind of reasoning?  

QuoteI understand that my views, while important to me, are not necessarily representative
of perfect wisdom, Christian or otherwise.  This is the benefit of the doubt that I
mentioned.  I've defended President Bush on the grounds that I possess a fraction
of the information that qualifies him to make certain decisions, good or bad.

I just don't understand placing this kind of trust in man.  I believe we are too judge our leaders based on scripture and the Constitution, not blind faith.  Sorry, bro, I just can't follow you on this one.  If Obama suddenly reverts to a Constitutional point of view, I don't care if he has D or R next to his name.  But based on what I've seen so far, he rejects both scripture and the Constitution, and therefore is not worthy of my trust.

Sis

I think we are only to respect him not back him up in his quest to ruin this country.  I think that's what it means to pray for him, too.

I've seen presidents who stood for something, Bush Sr. comes to mind, but when he actually got into the office and found out what what it was about had to back-pedal on some things. I'm guessing there are some things that they won't know for sure until they're in the office.  The same as any other job, I guess.

I think God wants us to respect our elders, our leaders and those in authority, whether it be respecting JD because he's Scott's right-hand-man, or respecting the president. I wouldn't throw a mud ball at JD because he's a good dude.  :laughhard: