News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

'Black Hole' a racist term???

Started by BenJammin, July 11, 2008, 06:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenJammin

Texas County Official Sees Race in Term 'Black Hole'

Thursday , July 10, 2008

DALLAS

What do "black hole," "angel food cake," and "devil's food cake" have in common?

They're all racist terms, says a Dallas County, Texas, official.

A county commissioners' meeting this week over traffic tickets turned into a tense discussion over race when one commissioner said the county's collections office was like a certain astronomical phenomenon.

"It sounds like Central Collections has become a black hole," Commissioner Kenneth Mayfield, who is white, said during the Monday meeting.

One black official demanded an apology, and Commissioner John Wiley Price, who also is black, said that type of language is unacceptable.

At the meeting, Mayfield said he intended his comments to be taken in the context of the scientific meaning, and became upset that he was being misunderstood.

In astronomy, the term black hole refers to a star that has collapsed upon itself, creating something so dense and small that it does not have any physical properties besides a gravitational force so great that even light cannot escape its pull.

Later, Price told MyFOXdfw.com that he believed it and other terms were racist.

"So if it's 'angel food cake,' it's white. If it's 'devil's food cake,' it's black. If you're the 'black sheep of the family,' then you gotta be bad, you know. 'White sheep,' you're okay. You know?" Price said.

Price said people should watch their words when it comes to stereotypes.

"I think people should always be careful. You know, I'm okay if I'm 'bartering' with you. ... But if I try to 'Jew you down,' Oooooh. Is that racist? I thought it meant the same thing? No, maybe it doesn't."

The world-renowned physicist Stephen Hawking might have a solution to the problem over perception of the astronomical term. He refers to the phenomenon as "a singularity."

Source - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380143,00.html
"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." ~Anonymous~

"Courage is not the absence of fear; rather the understanding that something else is more important than fear" ~Ambrose Redmoon~

Sis

So now anything with the word black in it is a racial slur?  Oh brother!

BenJammin

While reading in another thread, I noticed that someone asked why we couldn't all be color-blind.

This is exactly why it's impossible to be so.  With the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, this Dallas Cnty commish, Maxine Waters, Cynthia McKinney, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, among numerous others who race-bait without hesitation, color-blind is something that will never come to this country as long as they have anything to do with it.

The black leaders of today have chosen to keep their constituency mired in victim politics.  They have them so accustomed to victimhood that they can wear it like a cloak.

And that's my :twocents: worth.

BenJammin
"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." ~Anonymous~

"Courage is not the absence of fear; rather the understanding that something else is more important than fear" ~Ambrose Redmoon~

Sis

yosemite

Quote from: BenJammin on July 11, 2008, 07:06:18 AM
While reading in another thread, I noticed that someone asked why we couldn't all be color-blind.

This is exactly why it's impossible to be so.  With the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, this Dallas Cnty commish, Maxine Waters, Cynthia McKinney, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, among numerous others who race-bait without hesitation, color-blind is something that will never come to this country as long as they have anything to do with it.

The black leaders of today have chosen to keep their constituency mired in victim politics.  They have them so accustomed to victimhood that they can wear it like a cloak.

And that's my :twocents: worth.

BenJammin
i got a feeling we aint seen nothin yet!! if borac gets elected he will go back to rev wright and join the likes of jesse  and al to a degree that we will never return to an equal society. why has it got to be one or the other not both?
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

mesipie

omw...this is really getting ridiculous
its mesi: mee see...not messy

messaypah to only a certain few...lol...

The Purple Fuzzy

yosemite

Quote from: *mesipie* on July 14, 2008, 07:09:51 AM
omw...this is really getting ridiculous

ridiculous or not, some like to keep their eyes wide open as opposed to wide shut.

i keep informed on todays politics and well.....conspiracy issues so i can see and formulate ideas as to what is really going on. do you really think that people playing the racist card is ridiculous, me too! and we aint seen nothing yet. do you think the affirmative action is ridiculous, me too! this is petty as far as what we are gonna see.

so i guess you can say i agree it is rediculous too!! but its true. i'm not a racist, and i dont hate those that are not white. i feel pitty for them cause we have spoiled them. i agree to bill cosby, if they want something (respect or money) they should get a job and earn it. not steal it. all i have heard from borac is lies and changes of truth. he's doing as he has been trained to do, steal. (IMO)

just a what if senario:  what if affermative action was placed on holiness churches? (you have to have 5 blacks to every 10 whites as a minimum before you can open the doors on every sunday or any church event)
rediculous aint it!!
what if whites cant be in groups of 10 without 5 blacks being present for anything?
rediculous aint it!!
i be glad for a hundred black to be at my church sunday for worship(lord knows the music would improve). i'm just saying the government should not force this on people. it would do a lot of harm and cause further hatred.
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

NessasMama

Wow, I think some people just like to have something to complain about!!!!
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

yosemite

Quote from: NessasMama on July 16, 2008, 11:07:00 PM
Wow, I think some people just like to have something to complain about!!!!

no complaints here, just a lot of worry!

i keep informed on todays politics and well.....conspiracy issues so i can see and formulate ideas as to what is really going on. do you really think that people playing the racist card is ridiculous, me too! and we aint seen nothing yet. some like to keep their eyes wide open as opposed to shut tight!
but i can understand that you dont see much of this up there in little ole main.

NessasMama

Oh gracious, I didn't mean that to anyone posting on here. I just meant that the people who get so easily offended over terms like black hole!!! I think sometimes people just take anything and twist it so they have something to complain about!!!!
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

Sis

I guess we should call it an "orange" hole, even though it's black.   :laughhard:

yosemite

Quote from: NessasMama on July 16, 2008, 11:14:35 PM
Oh gracious, I didn't mean that to anyone posting on here. I just meant that the people who get so easily offended over terms like black hole!!! I think sometimes people just take anything and twist it so they have something to complain about!!!!

i know you didnt mean anyone here. its just that it is more evedent down here and we've complained too much,now its time to worry. cause there sure isnt anybody waking up to do anything about it.