News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Barack Obama's "Bitter" Remarks

Started by jdcord, April 13, 2008, 04:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Senator Obama's remarks (below) about small-town, middle-Americans?

He's absolutely right!
0 (0%)
He's an elitist swine!
7 (77.8%)
Who cares!  He's not going to win, anyway.
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

jdcord

Quote from: Barack Obama, at a recent fundraiser

Source

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them...And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not," he said.

"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations," he also said.

Concerning his inclusion of "religion" in those remarks, it sure seems to me that he is trying to paint "fundamentalists" (i.e., people who are actually serious about their religion) as just a bunch of poor people who don't have much else, so they turn to religion as some kind of emotional crutch.

I am not one of those people that thinks that we need to have a religious or fundamentalist "Christian" in the White House, but I certainly don't want to see someone in that position who views truly religious people as a bunch of poor, emotionally needy, simple-minded dolts!

That's my  :twocents:  on the matter, anyway.

Wanda:   Two wrongs don't make a right.
Cosmo:   But three rights make a left,...

jdcord

I've been glad to see over the last few days that Obama has not been able to "wiggle" his way out of those remarks and just "move on" (as if it had never happened).

Those remarks reveal an extremely condescending and elitist opinion of not only all of rural America, but also of anyone ... anywhere ... who happens to disagree with him on such key issues as the Bill of Rights (especially the 1st and 2nd Amendments), cultural differences and issues within America itself, illegal immigration and border security, and the pros and cons of certain so-called  "Free Trade" agreements (I'm sure he was referring to NAFTA, in particular).

I'm no fan of Hillary (or McCain, for that matter), but I definitely think that Obama should be called on the carpet for this and hounded about it, rather than being allowed to just write it off as a "bad choice of words" as he has tried to do - ("I didn't say it as well as I should have", were his exact words in trying to write off the matter).

But IMO, that wasn't just a bad choice of words:  that was a brief glimpse into the man's true opinions and attitudes towards rural Americans, towards the deeply religious, and towards all those who don't agree with his own political beliefs and platform.  ....... and as such - and with consideration to the possibility that this guy could actually become President - that was a truly disturbing glimpse.

bishopnl

Quotethat was a brief glimpse into the man's true opinions and attitudes towards rural Americans, towards the deeply religious, and towards all those who don't agree with his own political beliefs and platform.  ....... and as such - and with consideration to the possibility that this guy could actually become President - that was a truly disturbing glimpse.

I couldn't agree more.  And especially since Obama hasn't served long in the Senate, it's that much more important to pay attention to his words and the words of those whom he looks to as advisers and mentors.  And particularly because in an earlier speech (the one he plagiarized by permission) he himself compared his words to various great speeches throughout American history in an effort to show that "words matter."  So the only real way to get a clear glimpse of what he believes is to pay attention to what he's saying.

So consider this.  Obama's wife says she hasn't been proud of America until her husband's candidacy.  His pastor and mentor curses America, praises anti-semites, and seems to have bias against powerful white people (or possibly white people in general).  And Obama himself has said that he would not want his children to be "punished" with an unintended pregnancy, and now says that middle class Americans are "bitter" and cling to religion, guns, and racism.

This guy is a pious, elitist, liberal windbag.  For the first time in my life, I'm actually rooting for the Clintons to win something.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

jdcord

Quote from: bishopnl on April 15, 2008, 02:07:25 PM
This guy is a pious, elitist, liberal windbag. 

I agree - and the more I think about those comments, the more convinced of it I become.

Quote from: bishopnl on April 15, 2008, 02:07:25 PM
For the first time in my life, I'm actually rooting for the Clintons to win something.

*LOL*      Me too.  It's kind of ironic that this guy may end up making Hillary seem like a downright demure and sympathetic figure.

:yikes:   

Who'd-a ever thunk it?

:biglaugh:

jdcord

Oh, ... BTW,

His latest tactic is to claim that he couldn't possibly be an "elitist" because he grew up poor, and only recently broke into the "wealthy" tax bracket. 

As if economic elitism is the only kind of elitism out there.  .... Pa-leaze.  Give me a break.  There are all kinds of elitism: economic, social, cultural, racial, as well as intellectual (and I'm sure there are more possible classifications).  And of those I've listed, an economic elitist is possibly the only kind that Obama may not squarely fall into;  but he and his comments fit the rest to a tee, making him about as elitist as they come.

It's not about wealth.  It's about attitude.  ....... and, quite frankly, Obama is full of it!       :freaky2: 

Sis

Quote from: jdcord on April 17, 2008, 08:11:20 AM
It's not about wealth.  It's about attitude.  ....... and, quite frankly, Obama is full of it!       :freaky2: 

Agreed