News:

Remember to check out the Devotions & Poems forum!

Main Menu

Increase Rankings in Search Engines

Started by Steve.Elsenrath, September 27, 2010, 07:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve.Elsenrath

I find it rather sad that we have to compete with the ex-pentecostal web forum as one of the top searches for the word "pentecostal". Even our upci.org is ranked lower... I feel like there is a problem with that, we should be more active in our faith than those who are more active in "un-faith".

Just a thought, if the admins or owner of the forum could work on search engine optimization. It also helps for those members who are active to actually participate in discussions, so please do more than just read.

Steve.Elsenrath

Total Members:385
Total Posts:169,344
Total Topics:2,980
Total Categories:4
Users Online:10
Most Online:450 - June 24, 2007, 07:41:48 PMOnline Today:18
Total page views:16,523,260

There is our problem, in 2007 there were 450 online at ONE TIME... Today we have fewer members than those who were online that day... What is the difference between then and now?

Tricia Lea

I think on the day we had 450  most they said were bots or web crawlers

Steve.Elsenrath

Quote from: Tricia Lea on September 27, 2010, 08:32:01 PM
I think on the day we had 450  most they said were bots or web crawlers

Well, I remember the days back when I was a youth... Maybe 10 years ago or so, I would frequent this website. At that time there was a forum and a chat, if i remember correctly. It may have been one of the upci websites prior to shutting down and moving to godplace.com, im not real sure. But it was highly active and full of excitement. I remember having so many people on that it wasnt unusual to come across multiple people from surrounding churches. Looking back, I just have to wonder where is it all going?

Main purpose of this thread was the original post, how does an ex-pentecostal forum rank higher than our pentecostal websites and primary forums? It's just odd that if I wanted to look up information on pentecostals that I would find the site against pentecostals first.

Scott

do it the way political candidates do it, we need people to hunt for us via google.  If everyone did a web search for us on a regular basis, our rankings would increase.

Some campaigns have people do multiple searches  day for their candidates until it becomes a top search
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Steve.Elsenrath

Well with ranking systems it deals a lot with backlinks to other websites (how many unique sites have a link to you), how often content is updated (or in this case, how active the forum is) and whether or not you have the right keywords in the meta tags for your home page... That has a lot to do with it. The reason political sites get so popular is because of the same, normally they are linked up to hundreds of other sites within days of creation.

Its just a passion of mine to try and rebuild some of our excitement. We have something to be excited for and yet there were only 4 or 5 active postings today. If anyone here have connections to others within our organization, lets try and rekindle our fires. I have added a link to my website. Maybe others have their own websites, share the links guys.

Sis

Quote from: Steve.Elsenrath on September 27, 2010, 08:04:33 PM

There is our problem, in 2007 there were 450 online at ONE TIME... Today we have fewer members than those who were online that day... What is the difference between then and now?

Facebook

Melody

or maybe more people have a life and are increasing their actions IRL more than on the net talking about it?  I know the youth of our church have spontaneously become more active in life and applying the apostolic lifestlye than spending time on the net.  Even FB reflects this.

Steve.Elsenrath

Quote from: MellowYellow on September 28, 2010, 05:44:43 PM
or maybe more people have a life and are increasing their actions IRL more than on the net talking about it?  I know the youth of our church have spontaneously become more active in life and applying the apostolic lifestlye than spending time on the net.  Even FB reflects this.

And this might be true. But of the 250 million pentecostals in the world, you would think there would be a more popular forum than that of an ex-pentecostal forum.
People are always wanting information on our faith and the internet is the number one way that people do their research. Many of them look for forums to ask questions or they go to the yahoo.com/answers or whatever and get someone that is 1/2 ignorant telling them something rediculous about our faith. Awareness on all facets of life is key. Obviously in real life it is key to be plugged in but if you look at the trends among our nations youth, they are a generation of media and entertainment. This forum should be a form of ministry to those from outside our faith.

Make sense?

Sis

These forums started when the net was new. Most of the people we had on UPCI were kids looking to meet other kids because they were from small churches.

With the advent of all the new my space types of pages then Face book, older people (Mostly the kids from ten years ago who grew up) are using these. The younger populations are so used to the net and computers and texting and facebook, they are spread out and most think these bulletin boards are boring.

Simple. We're progressing and this type of communication is becoming antiquated.

Steve.Elsenrath

Quote from: Sis on September 28, 2010, 11:03:32 PM
These forums started when the net was new. Most of the people we had on UPCI were kids looking to meet other kids because they were from small churches.

With the advent of all the new my space types of pages then Face book, older people (Mostly the kids from ten years ago who grew up) are using these. The younger populations are so used to the net and computers and texting and facebook, they are spread out and most think these bulletin boards are boring.

Simple. We're progressing and this type of communication is becoming antiquated.

Any thoughts of updates on the board then? Maybe into a web blog using Wordpress or a social networking site for Pentecostals? There are programs that can make this place into a myspace or facebook w/o all the trash that come with both of those. I have used them a little but not on a large scale.

Melody

isn't the PentecostalSpace still up, is there a fee? 

don't we realize that since the path to hell is wide and narrow is the gate to heaven that the lost/exchurch will always out number the church?  not something to be concerned about.

and as far as getting 1/2 junk info, how do they know junk from truth online?  Our site can be the coolest, friendliest, but that is not what teaches truth.  It's being truly hungry that people find truth anywhere and get connected.

Steve.Elsenrath

Quote from: MellowYellow on September 29, 2010, 02:27:57 AM
isn't the PentecostalSpace still up, is there a fee? 

don't we realize that since the path to hell is wide and narrow is the gate to heaven that the lost/exchurch will always out number the church?  not something to be concerned about.

and as far as getting 1/2 junk info, how do they know junk from truth online?  Our site can be the coolest, friendliest, but that is not what teaches truth.  It's being truly hungry that people find truth anywhere and get connected.

I saw a lot of stuff for pentecostal space that were broken links... there is something called pentecost zone that works and seems similar to facebook/myspace. Im just trying to be constructive and thinking of any ways that we can reach. I see maybe 4 people posting on this website and I was one of those kids 10 years ago who use it as a social networking chat/forum.

Kind of narrow minded and not too kingdom minded to say, "the lost/exchurch will always out number the church.... not something to be concerned about." Of course there are more unchurched than there are churched, but that does not mean we shouldnt put our best foot forward. I know plenty of people who did not hunger and thirst until they got plugged into discussions.

And the comment about the info they get elsewhere... That is the point of making our stance stronger. We have more non pentecostals making their case than we have pentecostals.

Maybe I should leave my comments elsewhere. The 4 people who post comments back and forth can have their fun. Nonetheless, I will continue in my efforts then with or without any assistance from this forum.

Sis

Doing anything different here wouldn't do anything. The kids have moved on. They are ten steps ahead of us anyway.

Steve.Elsenrath

Hey, look at me. I came back  :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

LoL.... This was always fun for me. I know plenty of other forums that have a lot of kids or youth plugged in. Of course those center around cars, sports or video games. Forums are still widely used for networking.

Melody

Quote from: Steve.Elsenrath on September 29, 2010, 03:42:33 AMKind of narrow minded and not too kingdom minded to say, "the lost/exchurch will always out number the church.... not something to be concerned about." Of course there are more unchurched than there are churched, but that does not mean we shouldnt put our best foot forward. I know plenty of people who did not hunger and thirst until they got plugged into discussions.

That is narrow minded. Try it on someone who isn't teaching Bible studies and active in the church. ☺

Not being concerned about social networking doesn't mean a person isn't kindom minded & it isn't synonymous w/ the idea of not putting our best foot forward. 

And, if you have any understanding, you wouldn't judge all sites equally or by a newcomers thread.  Different forums have different personalities.  That is a good thing, not everyone wants to be a part of some forum going a 100 mph, arguing over doctrinal issues.  I enjoy Biblical discussions, but more times than not, online they are not a good representation of the church, even or especially "Apostolic" ones.  What is tended to be seen more of is the diversity and division among even the most basic elements of doctrine. 

So nope, not concerned.  The net is the same as this world, filled w/ all different kinds of conflicting information, and the negative outweighing the positive.  The church is not going to dominate the web, and yet that is the beauty and glory of God, that many will and are still being won because the hunger of their heart makes way for God to give revelation. 

We don't need cooler websites, we need more anointing brother.

Steve.Elsenrath

The narrow minded piece comes from being okay with the fact that there will be more going the wide path than the narrow. I understand this concept as well, obviously its something the Bible teaches and that does not mean that I cannot attempt to reach people on a personal level as well as a broader level. Personal being face to face or hand to hand witness and teaching, broad being different other forms of ministry such as forums and blogs and such.

I was not commenting on you personally being narrow minded, cause I do not know you personally and what you contribute. But don't shoot down an idea simply because nobody wants to put up the effort. If you don't like the idea then you don't have to and thus don't have to say anything about it. By the way, teaching Bible studies and being active in church doesn't mean that you aren't narrow minded all it means is that you teach bible studies and are active in church. Likewise, shutting your mind to ideas may be a bit narrow minded.

I do have "any understanding", I did not judge this site based on the newcomers thread. I judged this site based on what I remember it being from years ago compared to what it is now.

Melody

who said I was ok w/ more being lost?  I said I'm not concerned w/ dominating the web. 

I imagine this conversation represents 1 reason we are not more popular.  You approached this in a critical manner that stirs up a defense.  That because our sites are not farther up the search engines, they are less.

I've seen people recently join this site and be welcomed in.  In fact many here have met in person after getting to know eachother.  I've only been on here for 5 yrs but there have been different seasons.  People's lives thus their interaction on here changes, new people come, it's a cycle.  You pop in here and declare it's lack, failing to see it's success.  Relationships have been built here, scriptures discussed, prayer joined.  The real thing is never quite as popular as the sensational.  Even comparing it to what you think is it's former glory is short sighted. 

No matter the new programs, sites, tools, it is the real interaction of anointed people that will win people.  There's a much bigger picture than the internet.

Steve.Elsenrath

QuoteNo matter the new programs, sites, tools, it is the real interaction of anointed people that will win people.

Imagine... there are real people on the internet that have real interactions... Or are the interactions they have fake? Wait, are you a real person or is this fake conversation we have? I'm lost here...

And that is fine for you but I know many who have been brought to Christ through the internet when nobody else could reach them personally. I didn't come here looking for a debate but when you come across as if this is not a "tool" for reaching the lost, then it is a bit narrow minded.

I made a suggestion and asked if there was anyone interested, you keep coming back to this thread for argument, not because you are interested. If you are not interested in building a more populated forum then fine, this thread is not for you. I am not forcing you to read it, but you are stubborn and want to get the last word in.

Let me repeat my suggestion.

Quote from: Steve.Elsenrath on September 27, 2010, 07:57:44 PM
Just a thought, if the admins or owner of the forum could work on search engine optimization. It also helps for those members who are active to actually participate in discussions, so please do more than just read.

Can you read that again and then tell me where all your thoughts and opinions were asked for?

Thanks and have a good day.

Steve.Elsenrath

Quote from: Scott on September 27, 2010, 10:22:30 PM
do it the way political candidates do it, we need people to hunt for us via google.  If everyone did a web search for us on a regular basis, our rankings would increase.

Some campaigns have people do multiple searches  day for their candidates until it becomes a top search

Thank you for constructive input

Steve.Elsenrath

Quote from: Steve.Elsenrath on September 29, 2010, 12:03:25 AM
Quote from: Sis on September 28, 2010, 11:03:32 PM

Any thoughts of updates on the board then? Maybe into a web blog using Wordpress or a social networking site for Pentecostals? There are programs that can make this place into a myspace or facebook w/o all the trash that come with both of those. I have used them a little but not on a large scale.

Again, this is the type of discussion I am looking for. Something we can build from, understand where we are at and maybe a way to move forward. Thanks Sis for you constructive input.

Melody

hmmm...  I thought the point of a forum was giving thoughts and opinions. 

it's ok that you are so rude, it demonstrates to me who I'm talking to. 

I'm not really concerned w/ the last word.  Your initial post stated what I have been trying to address the entire time. Unfortunately you seem to cling to such a tiny perspective.

QuoteI find it rather sad that we have to compete with the ex-pentecostal web forum...

We are not in competition.  I suppose if the world was a viable opponent for Christ or His church, we could sink to their mentality.  Fortunately it isn't, the church is triumphant and those who hunger and thirst after righteousness shall be filled.  I'm not saying that we can't utilize the web, obviously, as stated earlier, I recognize the profitableness of it.  But to be sad, insinuate some defeat, this is what I'm addressing.

Take it to the next level, make it more effective, be a part of a new season/phase; do with understanding though. I've heard this type of talk before in ignorance.  Not having an understanding of the past, nor a balanced perspective of the future lends one to diminish the overall compacity for the present into thinking we must imitate the world to attract the world.

You acknowledge there is a Pentecostal Zone= to myspace.  So... it already exists.  There are many apostolic- pentecostal forums, perhaps you are not aware of them?  See, while you're complaining and seeking some resolve, I see the church getting out from behind it's walls.  Instead of having our own segregated things we have penetrated and leaving footprints on the scene of world.  Instead of our own social networking facebook type thing I see TONS of apostolics on Facebook, being a light and a witness to many lost.   Every Sunday I see invites to local apostolic churches, each week I see testimonies of what God is doing and these people do not just have family and church friends on their list.  It's already happening, it's awesome!  So instead of minimizing it, why not instead maximize it's potential?  This cannot be done by going on about how it used to be better, how we are being beat, blah blah blah.

You said you want to find out where we're at and move forward, you have to acknowledge where we've come from in order to do that.  We have not come from a failed past and are now in an age of faded glory as you insinuate by saying how much better it was 10 yrs ago.  With that perspective you can't get where you are saying you want to go.  10 yrs ago, many pentecostals were just beginning to venture onto the web and sticking to "safer" areas.  Now they are getting bolder!  Praise God! Actually IN the world but not of the world!

You have a nice day as well.  ☺

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Steve.Elsenrath

Quote:popcorn:

Make sure you have lots of butter!!!

Quote from: MellowYellow on October 01, 2010, 04:23:07 PM
hmmm...  I thought the point of a forum was giving thoughts and opinions. 

it's ok that you are so rude, it demonstrates to me who I'm talking to.   

Yes, when the thoughts and opinions are in line with the original post then that is correct. The original post was directed to the mods and webmaster, me wanting to know if they were doing anything for search engine optimization.

QuoteI'm not really concerned w/ the last word.

Good, then dont respond to this one.

QuoteYour initial post stated what I have been trying to address the entire time.

You have not been trying to address the request for information about search engine optimization.

QuoteUnfortunately you seem to cling to such a tiny perspective.

The one looking to increase the activity to this forum has a tiny perspective? I am involved in quite a bit in my church and community, so I have a desire to push on a little further and expand into the internet a little more. If you look across the web forums for apostolics, they tend to draw in more non apostolics who are trying to figure out just what we believe. You see, our articles of faith and doctrines are statements and do not necessarily explain all the questions. I want to expand the knowledge by the most widely used tool in the world (ie. the internet).

QuoteWe are not in competition.  I suppose if the world was a viable opponent for Christ or His church, we could sink to their mentality.

That's right, there isnt a devil out there "seeking to kill steal and destroy".

QuoteFortunately it isn't, the church is triumphant and those who hunger and thirst after righteousness shall be filled.

So if they are ignorant to what the Word says, we have the truth.... would it make sense to feed it to them in a manner to is relevant to their lives? If people get on web forums all day long for politics, sports and such then shouldn't we use this same tool to draw them into the knowledge of the truth?

QuoteI'm not saying that we can't utilize the web, obviously, as stated earlier

Before or after I called you narrow minded?

QuoteI recognize the profitableness of it.

Glad I could bring you to see that the internet can profit the kingdom as a tool.

QuoteBut to be sad, insinuate some defeat, this is what I'm addressing.

I wasnt sad nor did I say the church was defeated. I stated that "it is sad that we RANK lower in search engine status." This in no way says that the church is defeated, I am just saying that it would be a great thing to put the truth above the "un-truth" when someone searches for information about us. Take this scenario about yourself. If your someone had a question about a situation you were involved in, yet they go to the person that despises you for the answer. Does that paint your image well? Would you rather them continue to talk to the person who despises you for the right answers or would you rather they come talk to you?

QuoteTake it to the next level, make it more effective, be a part of a new season/phase; do with understanding though.

Okay, so instead of being an inactive web forum... Let's make it active and while we are active, lets be active in understanding....

QuoteI've heard this type of talk before in ignorance. Not having an understanding of the past, nor a balanced perspective of the future lends one to diminish the overall compacity for the present into thinking we must imitate the world to attract the world.

So I take it that you don't listen to worship music or christian alternative, maybe you only listen to Gospel Choirs and Quartets. After all, would hate to listen to anything that the world started. If you did not know, modern worship styles actually come from tunes and bands similar to U2.

QuoteYou acknowledge there is a Pentecostal Zone= to myspace.  So... it already exists.  There are many apostolic- pentecostal forums, perhaps you are not aware of them?

Yes I am aware, thanks for insinuating that I am not. My purpose for being here is that I once was an old member here and I remember how we were on this forum. I made lots of friends in my youth and learned a lot of truth here. I had questions of my faith and received answers here.

QuoteSee, while you're complaining and seeking some resolve, I see the church getting out from behind it's walls.

Were no complaints until you joined the thread blasting how it doesnt matter.

QuoteInstead of having our own segregated things we have penetrated and leaving footprints on the scene of world.

Just as I needed support in my faith as a teen, there are many more out there that need that same support. It is okay to have a community of life faith believers who can talk and discuss things. Wait, did you just say not to be segregated just after saying not to be like the world in order to attract the world?

QuoteInstead of our own social networking facebook type thing I see TONS of apostolics on Facebook, being a light and a witness to many lost.   Every Sunday I see invites to local apostolic churches, each week I see testimonies of what God is doing and these people do not just have family and church friends on their list.

Yeah but it doesn't matter remember, read your post before about how all the teens are no longer using facebook or the internet.

QuoteIt's already happening, it's awesome!  So instead of minimizing it, why not instead maximize it's potential?

I am trying to find a way to maximize this forum's potential, but you are trying to be a stumbling block... How do you suppose we maximize potential here?

QuoteThis cannot be done by going on about how it used to be better, how we are being beat, blah blah blah.

I posed a fact as to how it use to be much more active (which I guess is better than inactive) and then posed a suggestion as to what we could do to improve (that potential thing you talked about). Refer to my statement above about being beat.

QuoteYou said you want to find out where we're at and move forward, you have to acknowledge where we've come from in order to do that.  We have not come from a failed past and are now in an age of faded glory as you insinuate by saying how much better it was 10 yrs ago.

refer to the statement above..

QuoteWith that perspective you can't get where you are saying you want to go.

The perspective of saying our better days should be ahead of us rather than behind us?

Quote10 yrs ago, many pentecostals were just beginning to venture onto the web and sticking to "safer" areas.  Now they are getting bolder!  Praise God! Actually IN the world but not of the world!

10 yrs ago many Pentecostals were still in the church and today they have ventured away from the church to other denominational faiths. I can count on 2 hands how many of my peers are still in the church and I can also point out what caused them to begin to slip. Most of the slipping had to do with social networking be it personal or impersonal.

Now I will make a few statements and conclude what has turned into a debate.

Again, I will repeat... The "we" are outranked was not talking of this forum specifically. Next, I was asking the moderators or web owner if there had been any plans or to boost search rankings. You are neither and you are not interested in boosting the search rankings (this is not a discussion or debate). You want to prove your point and so you keep returning to restate it with nothing new except the more I show you how narrow your original posts were, you change them around in the next post that you make. Hence the following:

Original Position was - "the lost/exchurch will always out number the church.... not something to be concerned about"
New Position is - "who said I was ok w/ more being lost?  I said I'm not concerned w/ dominating the web."
       So when is not concerned the same as being concerned?

Original Position was - "maybe more people have a life and are increasing their actions IRL more than on the net talking about it?"
New Position is - "Instead of our own social networking facebook type thing I see TONS of apostolics on Facebook, being a light and a witness to many lost."

I am tagged into many other pentecostal and apostolic forums. I simply stated that this forum once was more active and was wondering why it has turned so inactive. I got an answer from Sis that did make sense and then submitted alternative ways to boost its activity again. I do not care to debate with you, although I will take the last word simply because you said that you don't need to have it. If nobody wants to make it more active, that is fine and is their stance to make. I will take my suggestions elsewhere, no need to beat a dead horse.

QuoteYou have a nice day as well.  ☺

Thank You, I will.

Steve.Elsenrath

I do ask though for forgiveness if I have made you angry. See at this point you have sparked an old passion that I had, which believe it or not was debating. I know it is not good for us to debate back and forth, this once was a "sport" of mine and honestly I have not done this in a long time. So this last post was more for fun than anything else.

I am asking publicly that if I have struck a nerve or made you upset to forgive me. If you feel what I have posted is inappropriate then PM me and I will remove everything or ask the mod to delete the thread.

I did not do this out of anger or spite, maybe I was a bit sarcastic in tone and that is my personality.

I do see your point and your value, I hope you can see mine. Because based on your last post, we agree with each other and the only difference is that I request to use this forum whereas you see other means of social networking being used.

God Bless,
Steve Elsenrath