News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Ask Mr Minnesota

Started by Sis, March 29, 2008, 04:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunlight

well... start a new thread on it... and title it Job's  issues...  cause I have a ton of questions about that book... I dont get it.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Lynx

You start thread, with questions.  There's so much in that book I wouldn't know where to start if I started it. 

But to answer the current stated question, the first three friends kept arguing based on the assumption that Job had done something to deserve all his misfortunes.  They spent the whole book accusing him, urging him to repent, etc.  The fourth, younger man only spoke after he had something of which to accuse Job - namely that Job went too far in his arguments and "justified himself rather than God."  God's own rebuttal in the final chapters echoes what Elihu said.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

sunlight

How do they store the fuel for the planes? do they have a storage tank that is accessable at every gate? or is it just in the trucks?

mini

Different airports do it in different ways actually.

Some major airports actually have direct pipelines from the fuel producer to the airport, then they offload into trucks and fuel the planes from that way.

However, most get their fuel shipped into them via tanker truck.  Usually 8000 gallons at a time.  From there, we put it into bulk containers.  In our case, its 2 12000 gallon tanks.  Also, unlike most gas stations, airports have many safeguards to assure the fuel going into the tank is perfect.  We sump the bottom of the tanks on a daily basis to make sure no water or condensation has gathered, we filter the fuel going out of the tanks (and often into the tanks too, depending on the setup of the system), and have safeguards in place for the checking of the filters.  Sounds boring, but we have to do that to assure the safety of the fuel.  In comparison to your local gas station, most have no way to remove any water that's collected in their tanks, via rain, condensation, or leaks.   If you get water in your car gas tank, your engine quits, you pull over, and think bad thoughts about the gas station while waiting for a tow.  If a plane gets water, they have a engine out, and have a emergency landing or a crash landing.  Scary stuff.  Also, we have a floating suction for the fuel that takes any fuel off the top of the tank.  That way, if something gets in the tank (moisture) it will settle to the bottom of the tank, then be sumped out.

One final step to determine the fuel safety is in the hands of the pilot.  They check their fuel with a special little gauge.  Much like our sump on our tanks, their sump checks to make sure no debris or water is in their tank.  This is part of their "pre-flight" check. 
We handle two types of fuel:  100 Low Lead (AvGas), with is a 100 octane gas, with low lead content.  Then Jet A, or a high grade kerosene (diesel fuel) with a anti icing additive.  Most jets run this, because when you leave from ground level and go to 50'000 feet, you have such extreme temperature changes, you develop condensation (water) in your tanks.  The additive then attacks the water, and allows it to pass through the engine like a molecule of fuel.

Also, there are many types of Jet fuel, depending on the altitude, operating conditions, and applications of the Jet.  A military plane operating in a arctic condition would run a different jet fuel than one operating out of a desert environment.

With all that said, we have 2 pumps and operate with a credit card system, much like you have at your local gas station.  We also have a truck that we use for Jet A.

Most planes have 2 or more tanks also, one one each wing.  I have seen 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 tanks on a plane.  Some planes are interconnected, while others are not.  But for the most part, planes have 2 tanks.

A plane needing Avgas would pull up to the pumps, and fuel from there. 

A plane needing Jet A (either a turbo-prop or a jet engine) has the option of pulling to the pump or requesting fueling services at the plane.  Whereas a piston planes (100 LL) usage is determined by hours, a jets usage is determined by cycles and hours.  If I start the engine on a Jet, its 1 cycle.  And the higher the cycles the lower the value of the Jet.  Some pilots, knowing they will only be there to drop a passenger off and pick up fuel pull up to the pumps.  Others, knowing they will be there for a while, and don't want a extra cycle on their engine ask for us to fuel them at the plane.

Also on Jet A, there are 2 ways to fuel a plane.  You can do it "overwing" which is much like what you do at the gas station.  You take a nozzle, open a gas cap, and fuel the plane.  The other way is single point.  Single point is a special nozzle that hooks directly to some planes, and allows you to pump straight into their tanks. 

Aviation fueling rates are much much faster than a gas station though.  When you fuel your car the next time, time how many gallons you put in your car in 1 minute.  More than likely, its from 5GPM to 8GPM.  At our airport, we can pump 100 LL and Jet A from our pumps at 36GPM.  Single point from our truck is 200GPM. 

So anyways, thats a little about how we fuel planes.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

A very thorough and informative answer.  Are you my long-lost brother?  :cool:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

mini

Quote from: Psalm_97 on October 21, 2011, 04:53:25 AM
A very thorough and informative answer.  Are you my long-lost brother?  :cool:

Very good.  Ive been traversing the road of hard knocks.  Tis been a learning experience, albeit a hard one.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

sunlight

What was the hardest period of 'waiting' for you? and how did you deal with it?

mini

sunlight

as in waiting for what comes next.

mini

The hardest part is learning to trust God.  After that, its easy.

Learning to trust him means letting yourself, your desires, your will, all be placed in his hands.  It means letting him do with you and your life as he sees fit.  You  gave your life to God, let him keep it and do with it what he wants.  And once you get that down...waiting is easy.

Lynx

You ARE my long-lost brother!  You sound so much like me it's creepy.  I've been arguing up one side and down the other with one guy at work who can't see how I can wait for certain things and not mind it.  Well... mostly he's been arguing with me. 
"Do you sing at church?"

mini

So that makes me or you a figment of my or your imagination?

Lynx

No it just means you're really cool.  :cool:
"Do you sing at church?"

mini

Anyone have any questions?  I feel a need to ponder...

Lynx

Why is a chicken the only animal most people eat before it is born and after it is dead?

What is the braille strip on public signs REALLY saying?
http://xkcd.com/315/

If everyone were the same height, color, religion and from the same area, what do you think the next big reason would be to hate people?  I know we'd find one before lunch time.
"Do you sing at church?"

myhaloisintheshop

what has been the most embarrassing moment in your life?

sunlight

The Israelites sang about the victory they were going to have at Jericho right after they crossed the Red Sea... and the people who were in the city were afraid, and believed that they were going to be defeated... And Caleb told them they could take the city... and yet they got delayed 40 years, and a whole generation lost because they didn't listen to their own song. (not sure what the question is yet... it's still in the pondering stage... I just noticed the song part though)

mini

Quote from: Psalm_97 on December 29, 2011, 04:02:03 PM
Why is a chicken the only animal most people eat before it is born and after it is dead?

I dont know, but when you put it that way, its really pretty gross.  Makes you wonder if some caveman saw a egg, and thought "Dinner!"  Or who was the first one who saw milk, and thought, "I'll try that!"

Really, I think it was knowledge that was given to Adam or someone...but thats my opinion, that I just made up.

QuoteWhat is the braille strip on public signs REALLY saying?
http://xkcd.com/315/

I never have been able to read braille.

QuoteIf everyone were the same height, color, religion and from the same area, what do you think the next big reason would be to hate people?  I know we'd find one before lunch time.

We would find something.  We all have to prove we are different.  And maybe that's part of the sinful nature inside us.  Instead of realizing we are made in the image of God, we want to be our own "individual" and when we get a chance, we use that individuality to put others out, and to put them down.

mini

Quote from: myhaloisintheshop on December 29, 2011, 05:02:34 PM
what has been the most embarrassing moment in your life?

Something that will never be discussed on here.

:smirk2:

mini

Quote from: sunlight on January 01, 2012, 06:11:26 AM
The Israelites sang about the victory they were going to have at Jericho right after they crossed the Red Sea... and the people who were in the city were afraid, and believed that they were going to be defeated... And Caleb told them they could take the city... and yet they got delayed 40 years, and a whole generation lost because they didn't listen to their own song. (not sure what the question is yet... it's still in the pondering stage... I just noticed the song part though)

Let me dovetail off this and make two points.

1)  The victory at Jericho was put off for 40 years!  (this is all my thinking) Think about that, and the way people operate.  If you have a fairly good sized city, and see a army approaching that ranges in the millions, you will be fearful for your life.  This will induce a panic of massive proportions.  Not only that, but you will have heard about this army and people for years, and how their God has provided for them, done work after work for them.  Then they turn away.  What would you do?  FORTIFY!  The Jericho that Joshua faced most likely was NOT the Jericho that Moses faced.  How many battles do we face a second time that are much harder because we wouldnt take care of it the first time?

2)  The report was that there were GIANTS in the land...I heard Bro Scott Graham preach about this and he made a wonderful point.  We think there were thousands of giants, all mighty warriors.  There weren't.  Matter of fact, there were 3.  Yeah, you read that right, 3 giants.  And 40 years later, one 85 (Joshua 14:10) year old man whipped all of them (Caleb).  Joshua 15:14 From Hebron Caleb drove out the three Anakites—Sheshai, Ahiman and Talmai, the sons of Anak.  Now in 40 years, they had spread from just 3 giants to their children infesting the mountains.  But the fact remains, 1 85 year old man whipped them...why not face your giants before they multiply?

sunlight

:like: Cool beans! I didn't even think of that!

RainbowJingles

What is the most difficult phase of life?  Why?

mini

Quote from: RainbowJingles on January 09, 2012, 07:35:38 PM

If yer doing it right, its the next one.  :ugly:

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on January 09, 2012, 08:27:00 PM
Quote from: RainbowJingles on January 09, 2012, 07:35:38 PM

If yer doing it right, its the next one.  :ugly:
How exactly do one go about doin' it wrong? :ugly:
Nevermind, you're from Oklahoma. If anyone could do life wrong, you could... :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison