News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Ok. Dumb question. What is a contraction?

Started by USAF Wifey, March 25, 2007, 10:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USAF Wifey

How exactly would you describe a contraction?
I've been having cramps , with a twinge of sharp pain every once in awhile. Not really regular or anything? but is that a contraction? Braxton Hicks? or just a new pregnancy pain/symptom that I have not experienced yet.

TiffanyJ

I would like to know the answer to that question too lol. I was sitting in church yesterday and I kept having those pains about every 10 minutes or so....and I looked at my mom behind me and was like how do you know if your having contractions lol. So I got up and went out then my mom got up and went out...then my aunt. Ofcourse the whole church by then knew that something was going on soooo everyone thought I was in labor. So yeah I would really like to know how you know if its the real thing or not.

darlaj2

.....I would say all of the above is a contraction.  When I had a strong contraction it was like the inside of my stomach was tearing.  Braxton Hicks are "bearable" where real contractions will litterally take your breath away.  I believe both of you are having minor contractions.  Usually around 37 weeks--your labor could be at any time.

newkris

another thought is that labor can take a long . . . .long . . .time.  picture your uterus starting to become more rubberband like than it already is.  the cervix has to open a LONG way for that baby to be born so it starts quite far out.  sometimes as just back pain, sometimes as sharp pains all over.  don't worry about being in "real" labor until you loose the plug or your water breaks.  when your water breaks ..  .you IN LABOR!!  go to the hospital.  (wink)

and, honestly, not everyone knows when they are in labor.  there are some women (so i've heard) that go for a check up and they are dilated to 7 or 8.  honestly.

my first day of labor in the hospital with patosin with j, my back hurt, but that was about the extent of it.  i was playing cards and seeing people.  it was clearly bearable.  the next morning after they broke my water, it was a little more intense.  (smile)

you are probably starting to get ready so rest as much as you can now. 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

littlegal

When you are having those pains, feel of your stomach.  Is it really tight?  Usually a contraction will make it feel hard and tight.

acjmom

- a contraction is the tightening and releasing of the uterine muscles in preparation for, or progression during, labor/delivery.
- braxton hicks contractions are what can happen periodically throughout the 2nd and 3rd trimesters to prepare your body for labor.  these type of contractions are erradic (5min, 2min, 7min, etc.), and usually not strong enough to make you stop what you are doing.
- real contractions will either begin in the back and wrap around your tummy and downward, or begin at the top of your tummy and progress downward.  these are evenly spaced at regular intervals, and will gradually get stronger and closer together. 
- you should go to the hospital if your contractions are 10min or less apart (count from the beginning of one contraction to the beginning of the next) consistently for an hour, and/or they are strong enough to make you stop what you are doing or take your breath away.

*can you tell i spout this stuff practically every week at alpha center?  ;)
"Your problem is not the problem.  Your reaction to the problem is the problem"  -Pastor Brian Kinsey

randerzforya

I think it differs for each person. I thought I was in false labor..the pain wasn't that bad at all, just uncomfortable and so I thought there was no way that it could be that "horrible screaming gut-wrenching" pain I had heard labor was. lol However, one of my good friends (who is definitely not scared of a little pain), was crying and screaming when her contractions got around 4 minutes apart.

Braxton Hicks should go away if you stand up and move around a bit, if you're in actual labor you'll keep having contractions no matter what you do, and they'll get closer together. When you think you're having contractions I would just walk around and time them, see if they stay regular, or if they just go away.

mesipie

ditto...

the key would be regularity, and not stopping...no matter what you do...
its mesi: mee see...not messy

messaypah to only a certain few...lol...

Sister_Mom

A shortened form of a word or group of words, with the omitted letters often replaced in written English by an apostrophe.

Isn't (Is not)

haven't (have not)

didn't (did not)

get the picture?    :thumbsup2:

:hypocrite:

:laughhard:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

littlegal

And then there are some women who never have regular contractions.  WIth one of my sisters, her contractions never did get regular.  They would be anywhere from 2-10 minutes apart.  Every labor is comletely different.

Also, if you are before 36 weeks, you should call your doctor if you have more than 4 contractions an hour, no matter how far apart or regular they are.

SippinTea

Quote from: Sister_Mom on March 26, 2007, 04:49:16 PM
A shortened form of a word or group of words, with the omitted letters often replaced in written English by an apostrophe.

Isn't (Is not)

haven't (have not)

didn't (did not)

:biglaugh: :thumbsup2: 

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

*Christi*

I just wanted to let you know that not all labor is "gut wrenching".  My entire labor with Isabelle was about as intense as a normal menstrual cramp.  That's why I almost didn't make it to the hospital!!  Everyone said to go when you can't talk through the contractions... shoot I was talking while pushing her out!!

randerzforya

Quote from: CRStrom on March 26, 2007, 05:08:17 PM
Everyone said to go when you can't talk through the contractions... shoot I was talking while pushing her out!!

Haha, me too! It wasn't near as bad as all the horror stories people had been telling me. I also had been watching the Discovery Health Channel and TLC, they have baby and delivery shows, a lot of those women were very vocal about the pain, so I had this horrible picture in my head when the doctor told me it was time. Thank goodness I had some very nice nurses to inform me that those women were more than likely being "drama queens". lol They kept me talking and laughing and everything went by smoothly and fast.

MelodyB

Isn't (Is not)

haven't (have not)

didn't (did not)

Smart Aleck...

But I have to say...that was good!
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

randerzforya

I just got that! lol I was sitting here like "What is she talking about??" I thought she had posted on accident in the wrong thread or something, haha!

:oops: Boy, I feel stupid right about now!  :laughhard:

SippinTea

LOL  I kinda wondered why no one else thought it was funny. I loved it!!  ;)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

nicolejoy

lol - I was reading all the posts looking for someone who had made grammatical errors ;) I tend to forget about a thread's title when I'm reading all the posts!! I get it now!! ;)

darlaj2

Would someone like to clue me in??  I was thinking the same thing "She replied to the wrong thread"  :hypocrite:

TiffanyJ

yeah I still don't get it ...but I am the blonde in the group I guess.

MelodyB

The question was, "What is a Contraction?"

con·trac·tion    (kn-trkshn) KEY 

NOUN:

The act of contracting or the state of being contracted.

A word, as won't from will not, or phrase, as o'clock from of the clock, formed by omitting or combining some of the sounds of a longer phrase.
The formation of such a word.

Physiology The shortening and thickening of functioning muscle or muscle fiber.
A period of decreased business activity.

Sis Mom was being funny. She explained....

Isn't (Is not)

haven't (have not)

didn't (did not)

Got it?
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

TiffanyJ

oooook I get it now. Definitely not thinking about grammar lol

Sister_Mom

Sorry.  :hypocrite: I couldn't resist. No more word contractions, back to the "having a baby" type contractions.  :great:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

mesipie

Quote from: nicolejoy on March 27, 2007, 06:09:54 AM
lol - I was reading all the posts looking for someone who had made grammatical errors ;) I tend to forget about a thread's title when I'm reading all the posts!! I get it now!! ;)

me 2
its mesi: mee see...not messy

messaypah to only a certain few...lol...

Drewbears

For everyone it could be different really.

For me when I have REAL labor contractions... they feel like well... like I have a bad tummy ache like when I have the runs and I sorta feel like I have to go #2.

I hear many people say they feel like period cramps, but for me they don't.

Courtney

When I was induced, they felt like stomach cramps at first, then when things got interesting, it felt like having extreme pressure in the bottom region, along with the cramps but they weren't that noticeable with all the pressure.