News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Need Help please

Started by txlnghrn, March 15, 2007, 03:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txlnghrn

My pastor just asked me to start a website for our church. Now, I know how to do some preliminary things, but I need to know where is the best place to get a domain at?, the best way to go about building it: Dreamweaver, Front page, pure HTML *which by the way I dont think I can do* LOL.  I have used Dreamweaver before and liked it but I dont have a copy of the software and dunno if we wanna spend the money buying it. So anyways whatever help any of y'all can supply will be much appreciated.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Psalm 34:18 NIV

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

If you know how to use HTML, that will provide you with the best control of how a page will turn out.  If you don't know HTML, you can use Front Page or even build a web page in MS Word, where most things will be click and drag.
Move along, nothing to see here.

LarryTheCucumber

GoDaddy is your best bet for easy, painless hosting.

Download a copy of NVU   (www.nvu.com), try a few tutorials, and you'll be up a running in no time.

there are also several places that offer pre-made templates for church web sites, where you just plug in the content you want on the site, and it takes care of the layout and design.

txlnghrn

I tried that NVU and it seems pretty user friendly. 

SO how much should I tell my pastor that we need to get started up front? I kinda figured that we might need 100 for registering the domain name and for one year of hosting. 
Also what extension would you suggest that we get?  .org .com etc...?

Thanks for all the help!
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Psalm 34:18 NIV

LarryTheCucumber

you shouldn't have to go over $9/month tops for basic hosting.  also, if you sign up for a 24 month contract, many hosting companies will include a domain name as part of the package.

as far as .org vs. .com goes, thats up to you guys, and name availability.

our church has a .com domain (legacykona.com) but many do opt for an .org name.

Scott

If  you contact the UPCI, they have a great hosting package that allows you to have streaming audio for sermons.

They have great templates and a very easy editor that anyone can make additions or updates to your page at anytime.

I was shocked at the pricing and frankly we did away with our page and went with theirs. They will even help with the page design.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle