News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Care Packages?

Started by ~Stephanie~, September 24, 2006, 05:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Stephanie~

There's a girl from my church who is at bible college. This is her first year of college anywhere. She kinda had a rough summer before she left. I'd like to send her a care  package. I don't know what all to send.

I'm going to send popcorn, mints for church, jolly ranchers, homemade cookies, hot chocolate packets, a small stuffed cow (she collects cow stuff).

I know what snacks/candy she likes. But I don't want to send all food. I'd like to send other practical stuff. But she probably is overloaded with stuff like lotions. I am going to send her hairspray (what Pentecostal girl can't use that?!) and some Shout wipes. I'm drawing a blank on what else to put in?

Any other useful things (like shout wipes) that you wish you had with you. It's been like 5 years since I lived on campus at college. I'm getting out of touch I guess.

newkris

a friend from our church gave Thi a care package before he left that had Ramen noodles, band aids, a pack of pledge dust cloths and some assorted candies.  someone else sent him a pacakage of guy colored stationary and envelopes with stamps. 

what else did he get?  uuummm . .  OH MY WORD!!

can't believe i forgot the gift cards!! walmart and STARBUCKS!! 

maybe look online to see if there's a walmart or something close to her and get her that kind of giftcard.  that way they can get what they need when they need it.

very nice idea, by the way.  very thoughtful.
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

dnr1128

Oh the gift cards are a great idea!  You can also send toilet paper, easymac, pens/pencils, etc etc.
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

~Stephanie~

I might throw in a disposable camera. Got that idea off one website.

She goes to Gateway. I've never actually been there so I don't know what restaurants/stores are there that would be good giftcard ideas.

MsJennJenn

Send her Tylenol/Ibuprofen. And a roll of quarters! lol seriously, if she isnt working yet, and has to do laundry. She'll greatly appreciate a roll of quarters. I know when I was talking to  TBC'er and he wasnt working at the time, he would complain of headaches, or this or that, and how he needed to do laundry. So yea haha
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

EmmaLeigh

How about a photo of Thi and his stats... and what he likes... 
JUST KIDDING....  :)  You could play long distance match maker... lol....

The only other thing I thought of were hankies or some of those pocket sized kleenex thingys.....

In Lamoni (where i went to school) we only had two pizza places... any care packages from home always included gift cards to Pizza Hut... GREAT for delivery or going there to eat...  lol... It was nice to know someone had taken care of dinner and I could go out for a change... I think Kris said somewhere that chili's is the gateway thing... bleh... but they do have gift cards.... lol...

So..........  another thing my mom always did was to put in a HUGE tub of candy...  like those orange pumpkin trick or treat things ...  so everyone I lived with (not just roommate but DORMMATES) could enjoy...  When my grandmother sent my dad care packages, she would always use popcorn to pack the stuff in, rather than those packing peanuts...  he'd eat the popcorn, too....  :) 

My mom always included some decor stuff with my packages, too...  Orange lights for fall, christmas stuff...  just things that would be nice and make the place more homey... 

AND... if she is at Gateway, tell her you will come visit ... cause I'm not THAT far from there... YOU CAN see ME!! and then we can drive taht direction!!! :)  BTW...  No church here on oct 9th...  :)  What about then????

MsJennJenn

Oh and Gateway, she's gonna have your standard Walmart/Walgreens/Starbucks ect...

But for clothing stores, they have Maurices, They have an H&M (lucky dawgs) They have A Macy's but its not called Macy's its something else, I had it on the tip of my tounge but I fergot poo...Ohhh I remember its called Famous Barr....ANd then really the regular other stores for the most part!

Hope that helps a tad, I've been to Gateway so haha
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

EmmaLeigh

Nope, Famous is now Macy's... :(

MsJennJenn

Oh it is? Yea our Foley's are Macy's now lol..guess everything is Macy's now! It's the same thing Em, why the frown?
-Alexander Den Heijer-

EmmaLeigh

Cause... I dont like change.... lol....

newkris

that's funny, emma!  I thought thi right away, too!!   :laughhard:

wonder if she already knows thi . . . ask her if she's met the kid who had emergency surgery in the first week .  . . that would be thi!!

walgreens is a good idea - it's almost right next door to Gateway . . honestly.
Starbucks is good - not too far away
and walmart

and . .quarters!! yep, surely can't get enough quarters and laundry soap!!

let me know if she knows thi.  that would be hilarious!!
me, too.

there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Roxie

you can get her
1.  a nice journal (sometimes it is nice to jot down your thoughts)
2.  pictures of family, friends, and pets
3.  the latest issue of your community newspaper, church bulletins, or a handwritten letter keep your student up-to-date and make her feel a part of her hometown, even if it's hundreds of miles away
4.  providing a subscription to a magazine she likes
5.  send a pre-paid calling card or postage stamps are also ways to keep in touch
6. a good book ( humorous)
7.  a favorite CD
8.  chapstick
9.  batteries
10.  gloves or a scarf for when it gets cold
11. gift cards to gas stations near her or prepaid mastercard..

just a few more ideas :)
Some people make things happen, some watch while things happen, and some wonder \"What happened?\"

Which type of person are you?

EmmaLeigh

The cold mention made me think...

My FAVORITE thing my dad put in my stocking last year was this spray deicer for my car...  If she has a car at Gateway I would WAAAAAAAAAY suggest that...  StL gets ice A LOT and it is such a blessing to help with the windows...  or even a nice ice scraper...  lol...  winter is on its way!!! :)

Alexis

Definetely any school supplies- note books, pens, pencils, erasers, post it notes, high lighters, notecards, sharpies, ect...
You could load up on most of these at a local dollar store.

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

RainbowJingles

Someone suggested toilet paper.  This is a serious thing on college campuses!  lol  Get a giant econo-sized pack of a decent brand!  It's not very heavy to send, but it'll certainly appreciated.

Also: light bulbs!!  You'd be amazed at how often the light bulb will go out and there's no money to replace it.

Definitely food of just about any type and gift cards for various places to eat.

RainbowJingles

I'd nix the ramen noodes, though.  That's the only thing that college students can afford.  lol  Send homemade brownies or her favorite chips instead.  I remember when I was at JCM I couldn't get Herr's potato chips there.  It was so sad.  *sniff*

Nelle

Hmm..

Here's a thought:

Get a journal and have people from your church write her encouraging notes and "letters from home." Ya know? I'm sure if I were living away at college, I'd really treasure something like that.. that way she'd feel more connected.

angelofthe_lordz

Maybe some linens like towels, washcloths. When Shawn moved out here before the wedding his cousin gave him a huge basket full of stuff like microwaveable mac & cheese, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, towels, washcloths, face wipes, hairspray, gel, anything you can think of.

~Stephanie~

I've taken the ideas and composed a list of things I think she would need/like.

I am sending it this week. I'm also getting with her family. They are gonna send some stuff as well.

I haven't really talked to her much other than text message and computer IM so I haven't found out if she knows Thi yet....I'll have to ask her.

AmberMarie

When I was in botswana, people from my church sent me a box full of goodies...snacks that I couldn't buy in africa (like cereal bars, koolaid, real oreos, cake mixes etc.). They also inlcuded note cards from a bunch of different people. I loved getting the notecards! They just had people write a short message on a regualr index card.

Also, my youth group made me a video...everyone in the youth group telling me hello and whatnot. I looooooved that!

TRAV

What about sending someone a "LIKE I CARE!" package ?
PROVERBS 3:5,6

newkris

oh trav, you are just so .  .so . .sentimental and caring.
:roll:
me, too.

Hip

Iiiiiiii'm sorry that I haven't gotten a care package from Staten Island, NY.

Just a thought...

mdn

TRAV

Quote from: Hip on October 22, 2006, 06:16:41 AM
Iiiiiiii'm sorry that I haven't gotten a care package from Staten Island, NY.

Just a thought...

mdn

Really? What would be in your package from Staten Island?
PROVERBS 3:5,6

Hip

Candy. The day goes a whole lot better with candy. Chocolate to be exact...from somewhere in New York.

Coffee (your discretion). If you think I'll like a certain coffee, I'd be willing to try anything. We love coffee here at Gateway.

Somekind of food...maybe snack food like Ho-Ho's or Twinkies.

A T-shirt. Maybe "I (heart) New York" or "Staten Island" or something like that.

A picture. Artwork is one of the things that I love. I have a few up in my dorm, but one from TRAV would be even better.

If you think of anything...ask me...but that's pretty much what would be in that box from Staten Island.

~mdn :)