News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

The Law vs. Faith

Started by Backseat Radio, November 26, 2007, 05:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backseat Radio

Over the past several weeks God has been showing me some things about righteousness by works of the Law vs righteousness by faith in Christ.    I'd like to share what God has been showing me...

Righteousness by works of the law vs righteousness by faith in Christ

The origoinal thought came to me as I was reading Romans 3:21-31 and Romans 4 from my NIV.  I've provided link so you guys can read those passages if you wish to

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%203:21-31&version=31
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=52&chapter=4&version=31

For those that want the short and sweet version.... Paul in those passages was talking about  that there is a righteousness apart from the Law of Moses and that a man can be justified by faith apart from observing the Law.  In Chapter 4 he uses Abraham for an example of this and shows that it was not through the Law that abraham received the promise that was made to him.  Paul also showed how abrahams belief/faith was credited to him for righteousness.

In reading about these things God spoke to my heart and said this...  "Quit worrying about everything has to be just so, and believe ME"

As I begin to ponder that thought it dawned on me that I am a lawkeeper by nature.  No its not the Law of Moses in my case but it is the law of the do's and don'ts of what ever denominational group I was with at the time.  I'd been attempting to justify  myself by keeping up with the rules and regulations of what ever group I claimed to align myself with. 

Also in my studies of scripture I'd set up expectations of how certain things had to be done and if things didn't go as I thought I would get mad and think thats now how (insert book, chapter, and verse here) shows this thing should be done.  Then when things didn't conform to the "law" I'd set up in my mind I'd begin to get fustrated with what was happening around me and loosing my faith in God simply becuase things didn't go as I thought they should.

God showed me that I don't need to loose my faith over trying to justify myself by keeping the do's and don't of a group or over things not going according to my mental expectations.  Instead I should turn my eyes to Jesus and believe the promises of God just as Abraham did even when things didn't go as Abraham and Sarah thought they should with the promise of them having a child.

How often do we attempt to justify ourself simply by keeping up with a list of do's and don't given to us by a particular group?  How often do we let our mental "law" cause us to loose faith when things don't go as we think they should instead of believing the promises of God? 

Would God say to you as well... "Quit worrying about everything has to be just so and believe Me"

SippinTea

Excellent post, Tia!!  :great:

God's been saying similar things to me lately, too. :)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Backseat Radio

A week or two later in my scripture reading God revealed to me why he dealt with me about my law keeper mentality and reminded me to believe Him.

Righteousness by works of the Law vs. Righteousness by faith in Christ Part 2

In Chapter 3 of Galatians Paul is having to deal with a church that had turned from faith in Christ to observing the Law of Moses to justify themself.  In his discourse Paul asks these two questions that really got me thinking...

Gatians 4:2  NIV
I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?

Galatians 4:5 NIV
Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

It dawned on me that our keeping the rules and regulations is not what causes God to give his Spirit to us.  God gives his Spirit to folks because they believed when they heard the preached message of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

How often are we trying to prove to God that we're worthy by keeping rules and regulations instead of simply believing the message of truth?

SippinTea

Quote from: Sis. Backseat Radio on November 26, 2007, 05:25:44 AM
It dawned on me that our keeping the rules and regulations is not what causes God to give his Spirit to us.  God gives his Spirit to folks because they believed when they heard the preached message of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

How often are we trying to prove to God that we're worthy by keeping rules and regulations instead of simply believing the message of truth?

Go, Tia!! Sounds like God is teaching you some awesome stuff lately. :)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Backseat Radio

its certainly been very eye opening for me

titushome

That's awesome!  I've been recently studying and writing on this same issue for publication on another discussion board, and my conclusions are much the same - albeit more elaborate, as I tend to be ;) - as yours.  God bless you in your studies and growth in the Lord.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Babs

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Melody

You Go girl!  I love this subject, it is SO liberating, empowering, encouraging, and humbling, grateful at the same time. 

Good Stuff!   :thumbsup2:

Backseat Radio

Its certainly a reminder that we aren't able to keep God's law well enough on our own to please God.  Seems to me that because God knows we're not able to do it on our own he just just us to believe and from there his Spirit begins to work in our life and our likes and dislikes and our way of thinking begins to be more like God's.  Then keeping God's ways is a more natural thing and not a list of do's and don't that we have to fight to keep up with.

Babs

main thing i have learned over the years is, it is far easier to keep Gods laws than mans laws.
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

apsurf

If you notice, the mosaic law was mostly do and don'ts.

The new testiment shows us not near as many do and don'ts but principles that we need to follow.  I am learning that when you follow the principle, the do and don'ts fall into place, sometimes stricter, sometimes not.