Reflections On Parenthood

Started by titushome, October 16, 2007, 12:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

titushome

It is late at night: my wife is sleeping in the bed across the room from me, and I am reclining on the couch with our infant daughter asleep on my chest.

Her sleep is so deep that her body is almost perfectly motionless, her breath noiseless.  I close my eyes, block out the noises of the HVAC and the people in the hallway, and meditate on this baby's vital signs.  Is she even breathing?  Her little form rises and falls with my torso as I breathe.  Is that her pulse I feel?  Or is it the beat of my own heart echoing through my veins?

I feel we are one and the same: her life and mine are inextricably braided together.  I meditate on how easily her small life could be extinguished; and we have been made the keepers of this flicker.  What a weighty responsibility, what a blessed gift, what an ineffable delight this is!  We thank God, who has given us this task, that He gives also the grace to perform it.

No doubt thousands of fathers and mothers before me have carried these same thoughts; yet here tonight they are new, all over again.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

KaylynMarie

aww i love babies, their so cute
:thumbsup2:
~* You see the real me, hiding in my skin, im broken from within, unveil me completely, im loosening my grasp, theres no need to mask my frailty cuz You see the real me...*~

EmmazMommy

wow....i love the description...it has definitely crossed my mind, but i could never have described it so perfectly