News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Getting my foot in the door - starting early in SHARING 494

Started by Lynx, May 28, 2014, 02:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roscoe

Ugh. Dreading today....It's Bro Wilson's dad's funeral at 1 today. Gonna be tons of people there, and I am scheduled to speak at it. Lord, I hope I don't flub it up... :sadbounce:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on June 10, 2014, 03:14:41 PM
You worry too much. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Thanks. I'd rather go to a dentist for a root canal than do this- but it is a HUGE honor, and I feel very honored by being asked to do it....
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

I hope at my funeral they have people getting the Holy Ghost and shouting in the aisles. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

Linux rules!

At work today, two of the managers were supposed to watch some training videos.  Unfortunately the desktop computer in the break room for some reason would not play the videos, so Heather (one of the managers) tried her phone... no luck, so she tried her own Dell laptop, running Windows... nope, it wouldn't play the videos either.  At this point I happened to overhear her complaining about a technology fail, which always makes my ears prick up.  I happened to have a laptop with me, running Linux (Mint 16, Cinnamon interface) so I suggested they try it.  Heather logged in with her password, the main video menu came up (quote from Heather at this point, "If this works I am going to be extremely ticked!") she clicked on the first video, and it started playing.  (Quote from Heather, "Okay, I am now officially ticked!") So they watched all their training videos on my laptop. 

Notice I did not say "Linux rules, Windows drools!"  Windows is still my go-to for music making.  It just works better for that.  But for some things, like most internet-based stuff, Linux just plain works better.   :great:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

Oh yeah, and I got two free meals out of the deal.  I wasn't expecting that, but it was nice.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

I'm in good company.  Quote from Linus Torvalds, the father of Linux: "Although Linux is free, I'm employed by the university to keep working on development for Linux.  So yes, indirectly Linux does pay for my pizza."
"Do you sing at church?"

Chseeads

Went to work and did poop and some cards afterwards....  My sister ended up bringing dad to the ER after the home health nurse came to see him.  He had had pains in his chest or side yesterday and today.  So I went from cards to the ER and was there a long time.  They did Xray, CT, etc.  Sent him home with pain meds, but there is something on the lining of his lung they are sending him to a lung doctor to have biopsied.  So pray for that. 

The Purple Fuzzy

MsJennJenn

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

The Purple Fuzzy

Yes.  It's really slow loading today.  Even worse than yesterday.

Chseeads

After a bunch of rigamarole, the earlier appointment he can get in to the pulmonologist is the 19th.  Bleh.

Just praying the Lord takes care of it all and it's something simple or completely gone.

Lynx

So there's this little guy I pick up on the church bus, named Robert.  This week he went to church youth camp.  He's a great guy, always friendly and outgoing.  I joke that if you have visited our church and you have NOT met Robert, it's not his fault... he's not avoiding you, guaranteed!  But he's never spent the night away from home before.  He's... well... not as smart as most kids.  So we were a bit concerned how he would handle being at youth camp, away from home, around a lot of strangers, without his parents, for days.

He came home today with "Camper of the year" award. :)  Like I said, he's a great little guy.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

Quote from: Lynx on June 12, 2014, 02:43:45 AM
So there's this little guy I pick up on the church bus, named Robert.  .........  So we were a bit concerned how he would handle being at youth camp, away from home, around a lot of strangers, without his parents, for days.

He came home today with "Camper of the year" award. :)  Like I said, he's a great little guy.
With a name like that, he was gaurenteed to be a success. And a people person. But probably not a morning person. :lol:

And Lawd, what a great day. Car show swap meet, found an artist that freehanded Rusty's Bulldog logo on his door for cheap so he's dressed right now, spent all day with my favorite uncle, and tormented the Mini-ster by text until my phone died, after charging which I found a text from another friend but cell service refused to allow a reply....
I've been running since 6 this morning, and I am charged and ready to go tomorrow. If I could get this enthused about work, it'd be dangerous to be around me. :lol:

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

I'm wore slap out. Spent a large portion of the day driving Rusty- to Conway, then the back way through a neighboring county to the mountain swap meet, spent 3 hours there, then back to Morrilton, and then a few miles north, where I tried to buy (with uncle's money) a '62 Chevy truck, unsuccessfully. Then finally back home. I could sleep for a year. :yawn:
Tonight, Unc wants us to come to Conway, where he and his sister have rented motel rooms, and visit. I'd rather have my remaining teeth pulled without anesthesia I believe, but Chey want to swim...so I'll probably have to go. Much as I love my uncle- and aunt- I SO dislike get-to-gethers.

Lynx

You just ain't been to ours yet.  You remember what it was like when a bunch of loonies from the forum descended on your house?  My family is about like that.
"Do you sing at church?"

Newsman

Isaac, I quite enjoyed dinner with them last August at the catfish place overlooking the Tennessee..I even thought I fit right in, at least as far as tag-teaming with your grandmother about a certain young man needing to find a wife..

Isaac (also) that is GREAT news about Robert the Younger!

Now, Robert the Elderly & Isaac; I may be in or near one of both of you guy's areas in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of going to the Power of One singles conference over in Memphis the 26th-28th. I would likely be coming through Conway Thursday morning, maybe pretty early, as ZI would want to get to Memphis about 2 p.m. Thursday. not sure when I'd be back. Money's to tight to stay gone 10-12 days like I did last year.

Also, Robert the Elderly: How is the Princess?

Lady Sandra, How is Clarence?

Seth, is your father doing better?

Lady Heather, are things better for you?

Then there is the ever-present urge to chunk it and go somewhere and sleep three days where they don't know me from Vice President Biden (I'm younger and more conservative). I'm having difficulty doing my traditional 20-hour days :)

John  :waving:

Roscoe

Robert the Elderly?!?! I think not!! :pound:
The princess is as mean as ever. Come to think of it, she must take after the Queen, since she too is mean.
Poor little me, kind, sweet, gentle, good man, is treated like the Court Jester- I get no respect. :sadbounce:

If it were Friday you were coming through, I'd be free, but I will be slaving in the salt mine on thursday until 3ish...

MsJennJenn

Sir John! You acknowledged pretty much everyone but me! :sadbounce:

And I agree with the Robert the Elderly. :hypocrite:

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

The Purple Fuzzy

:hi: Howdy, everyone.
John, Clarence is doing fine.  Just always has some project going.

Lynx

John:  Thanks for the warning, I'll make sure the shotgun is in working order. :P  Do you plan to make the trip around the Shiloh park path this time?

Fuzzy:  Projects are good.  Keeps the dust off ya.
"Do you sing at church?"

Chseeads

Dad is doing so so.  He has better days and worse days....as seems to come with getting old in general in part. 

Hoping and praying the thing on his lung is nothing.  A hopeful thought in that, is that back when he was still working at IU, he had been checked out and they told him he had some kind of a spot on his lung back then, but it was nothing of concern.  I hope that this is just the same thing that showed up on his scan the other day.