News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Is it just me?? Feeling alone in Sharing 493..

Started by Roscoe, April 05, 2014, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashlee

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on April 07, 2014, 07:43:28 PM
Well, look who dragged in. :hi:

Yeah. I thought maybe I'd start coming back in. We shall see.

Lynx

Bobby:  I DID warn you I would be pestering you today.   :hypocrite:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Chseeads

Quote from: Ashlee on April 08, 2014, 01:12:44 AM
Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on April 07, 2014, 07:43:28 PM
Well, look who dragged in. :hi:

Yeah. I thought maybe I'd start coming back in. We shall see.

You just love us so, I'm sure.

BroTrey

XP support ends this week, time for more folk to switch to Linux.  :popcorn:
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Chseeads

Lynx

Quote from: BroTrey on April 08, 2014, 03:10:06 AM
XP support ends this week, time for more folk to switch to Linux.  :popcorn:
Yeah right.  They'll just keep using XP until they get the latest virus (that gets them because their systems are no longer updated) then they'll come crying to us nerds to fix their computers. 

Sorry, that might sound a bit harsh... but I've already had multiple friends who got the popup notice from Microsoft about XP's end-of-life, asked my advice, then promptly ignored what I told them. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Melody

I can't really afford to buy a new computer right now. We don't even know what Linux is , where to get it, etc.  How much support does Linux have?

Roscoe

:hi:  Gotta go stand at a public land auction today.....wish I had a few thousand dollars extra, I'd snatch up some of these tax delinquent properties and make some money.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

I've always wanted to do that, but you've got to do research ahead of time or no telling what you'll end up with.

Lynx

Quote from: MellowYellow on April 08, 2014, 12:57:50 PM
I can't really afford to buy a new computer right now. We don't even know what Linux is , where to get it, etc.  How much support does Linux have?
You don't need a new computer, just a new operating system... And that's only if you're running XP. In fact you don't necessarily have to have anything besides xp. It will keep running after the support is over.

as for Linux support, it depends which kind you get. The user friendly ones like Linux Mint and Ubuntu have a lot of support. Multiple chat rooms for live support, or you can google up just about any problem you might have. You probably won't have many problems with the user friendly ones though, because they are designed to pretty much run themselves.
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

We would do it if we had an ounce of understanding how. Someone built our computer and I am thinking because of hardware issues, we just need to get a new one.  Changing a whole system is overwhelming.  I can understand why people don't do it.

okieoliveoyl

checking in on my bi-monthly GP stalking..... lol
Gods Promise: "This to shall pass"  not "and it came to stay"

MsJennJenn

Quote from: MellowYellow on April 08, 2014, 03:02:27 PM
We would do it if we had an ounce of understanding how. Someone built our computer and I am thinking because of hardware issues, we just need to get a new one.  Changing a whole system is overwhelming.  I can understand why people don't do it.

This is why people buy Apple products. No changing systems. No issues with hardware (or rarely).
No issues with understanding. Easy peasy. My first Macbook lasted me almost 8 years. The hard drive had to be replaced once, only because of my overwhelming amount of graphic files I had built up. Now I have an external hard drive to counteract that. And the second Macbook is going smoothly. I still have the first one, and it still works. It's just a smidge slow, from again, the overwhelming amount of graphic and design files.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Heather

I've abandoned all Apple products except my iPod and only because it is a beast and keeps on going. Plus it's got a mass quantity of storage on it.

Life has been weird. I have just not been a nice person lately. I'm constantly in a foul mood. I'm exhausted. I'm about to pull a knife on Brandon. What little bit of time we have together he is always hovering right over my shoulder. It's just really getting to me.

We have revival/anniversary services this Wednesday through Sunday. I can't remember when they are preaching but we have Bro Rodeheaver from PA, Bro Greg Hurley from WV, and Bro Marshall [who is a Sioux] coming to preach. The only time I have to miss is Saturday due to work.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Heather

Double posting because it just dawned on me it's my birthday of sorts. 13 years since I got the HG. Praise Jesus!

Lynx

Quote from: MsJennJenn on April 08, 2014, 03:41:56 PM

This is why people buy Apple products. No changing systems. No issues with hardware (or rarely).
No issues with understanding. Easy peasy. My first Macbook lasted me almost 8 years. The hard drive had to be replaced once, only because of my overwhelming amount of graphic files I had built up. Now I have an external hard drive to counteract that. And the second Macbook is going smoothly. I still have the first one, and it still works. It's just a smidge slow, from again, the overwhelming amount of graphic and design files.
For many people mac is a good way to go. If all you're doing is getting online and checking your email, Facebook, maybe watching a YouTube video, (and of course if you have the money for it,) it is one of the more dependable options.
"Do you sing at church?"

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Psalm_97 on April 08, 2014, 06:47:27 PM

For many people mac is a good way to go. If all you're doing is getting online and checking your email, Facebook, maybe watching a YouTube video, (and of course if you have the money for it,) it is one of the more dependable options.

Or if you're doing any sort of graphic work. I don't recommend any type of heavy graphic work on an average pc. They can't handle it.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Lynx

Define "average."  The belief that mac is better for graphics work is outdated, and has been for some time now.  These days you can get any used Thinkpad with 4 gigs ram for less than $200 on ebay and it can handle anything you can throw at it.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

http://www.maniacworld.com/how-fanboys-see-operating-systems.html

I can personally attest to the fact that the "linux fanboys" row is accurate.  I've known some of them. 

Personally I use Linux and Windows, and would use Mac for the things it is best for if they weren't so stinkin' expensive.
"Do you sing at church?"

Chseeads

Roscoe

Bah. A pox on all you computer people. I barely navigate to here....
And in sharing- it's been a Loooooooong day. The auction was interesting...one older guy spent over a quarter of a million dollars in the first hour of the auction. I quit counting his purchases at that point, but he was consistantly buying  properties from 10k to 80k all day long, right up until I left at 3pm. The dear old soul must've had a  cubic yard of hundred dollar bills on him. I sure would've liked to make friends with him. :-\
Then I get home and discover that the windstorms broke the mast on my new hexbeam, meaning I had to take it down until I can buy another mast. Bah. :pound:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Heather

I'm currently pulling a 93 in my English class. I'll take it!

Chseeads

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow.  Bleh.

taco_harvell

Doesn't hurt that almost all Apple OS's are based on Linux you just pay for an Apple logo somebody already took a bite out of. :)
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Lynx

SHHHHH!  Taco don't say that!  You'll upset the fanboys. 

Although actually Mac OS was a remodeled BSD clone.  But few even know what BSD is.  Apple's OS is easier to install than the original BSD ever was though. 

ADD-ON EDIT:  Actually there's a rumor that Apple tried to hire Linus himself (by that time he was already famous) but he declined and continued working on Linux.
"Do you sing at church?"