News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

well......today i finally did it.............

Started by Babs, December 29, 2010, 08:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mini

This thread has inspired me to install Ubuntu again... :)
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Babs

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Babs

well i downloaded the puppy and got it put on the jump drive but my eeepc wont boot it. ugh

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Super OS.  Used to be Super Ubuntu, but name was changed because of legal junk.  You can actually convert regular Ubuntu into Super OS (Super has its own repo) but installing Super straight from the disk is for some reason more stable than installing Ubuntu and converting it to Super.  Go figure. 

But anyway, yeah... Super OS blows anything else out of the water.  For now.  Something better may come down the open source pike next year.

About the eee (it's what people say when they're scared for a reason... "eeeee!") have you set it to boot from USB in the BIOS?  Most computers are not set to by default, and for a very good reason - if it is set to boot from USB and you have a normal flash drive or external hard drive attached at boot, the computer will check USB first, find a hard drive with no OS and stop there.  No boot.  You have to access BIOS and enable USB boot (a simple change in boot order.)  After you install the OS on the hard drive be sure and disable USB boot, or you'll have to unplug any USB storage every time you boot.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

Minnesota:  If you are accustomed to Windows you might find Kubuntu more to your liking.  Ubuntu runs Gnome desktop, meant to be more accessible for Mac users.  Kubuntu is basically Ubuntu with KDE desktop environment, made for (you guessed it) Windows users.

www.kubuntu.com

Oh, and if you're going to the length of installing it (as opposed to just using it from the live disk) you want to get the older 10.04 version, not the latest 10.10.  The reason is 10.04 is the most recent LTS (Long Term Support) version.  The normal 6-month editions of Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu have a short support life.  The LTS is supported for years.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Babs

thanks ps i will check that. didnt think about the boot order. ugh. since i had those strokes i forget more than i remember.

i downloaded the super os and have it burned and think i am going to do a clean install for the desktop. i hate doing it again but i dont really have anything installed on it yet. will let you know how it goes.

you are such a help!

My latest blog post.

mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

I wish we had a drink water-get surprised-spit smiley.  No wonder minnesota's avatar is driving over such rocky terrain... 6.06 was terrible!  Almost as bad as (ugh, acck, pfft!) Vista.  As of this date, 9.10 is the best Ubuntu yet.  Super OS best version is 10.10 (latest) and it's pretty good.

And by the way, never, ever, ever go the upgrade route.  Fresh install ftw at all times.  Save your files and .config on an external hard drive or three (rule of computers - unless a file is on at least three separate storage media, it doesn't really exist), wipe out everything and reinstall when you want a new Ubuntu.  For some reason Ubuntu distro upgrade is always, always, ALWAYS fraught with frustration, whichever version you're upgrading from and to.

Never mind, I found it.

Ubuntu 6.06?!??   :spitlaugh:
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Barb you have HOW many computers?!  Gimme gimme gimme!  I have a habit of taking old computers people are throwing out, cleaning them up (cleaning out Norton and other junk that slows it down), installing a lot of freeware programs most people would like and finding good homes for them with people who just want a basic computer to get online and check email on. 

My  mother lode was when this guy contacted me, said he had some computers.  I drove up expecting maybe three non-working desktops I could frankenstein into one working computer.  He was a systems admin who was moving.  He gave me 11 computers, 4 worked, 2 worked after I took parts from the ones that wouldn't work.  All long gone of course, found homes for them.  The guy's wife sure seemed glad to see all that stuff go...   :teeth:
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

i dont have many anymore. i have 3 laptops (one is the eepc, so not really a laptop) and one desktop and a second desktop i would have it if i could get it to recognize a hard drive but so far cant. even bought a new one but it wont recognize it either.

i do the same thing. before i had my strokes i had 28 working computers all running and on my network lol but alas i lost everything while i was in the hosp and was homeless for almost a year. so now i am basically starting over.

you would have died if you had seen how much computer stuff i had built up, just from what people wanted to throw away.

i was making working computers and donating them to the family violence shelter here. when a family was helped into a new home they got a working computer to take with them. and while they stayed at the shelter they took classes. i loved doing the classes almost as much as fixing the computers.

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Sounds like a techno-rat after my own heart.  What caused the strokes?  I saw the mention of 12 computers on your network (in the old thread) and almost had a short-circuit. 

It's amazing what people will throw away.  I have an old (old, old, OLD) computer my workplace was throwing out, a Dell desktop, made back when Dells were white.  Has a sticker saying "Made for Windows 98."  Has two, count em, TWO P3 processors (coppermine), a whole whopping 256 megs ram, a 40 gig hard drive.  For the Win98 days that was exorbitant in the extreme, more computer than any sane person would need.  Right now it's in my office at church running Windows XP (quite impressive for a computer that old) quite happily.  I type the church bulletin on it every week and burn off whatever CD copies the choir/sign team/drama team/children's church needs. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"i loved doing the classes almost as much as fixing the computers."
Then you know the reason for a previous comment:  "you are such a help!"  It's kinda fun.

For some reason I also get a kick out of setting up a computer to be as easy as possible for an average (non-nerd) person to use.  This is a great time for that.  Foobar2000 automatically starts playing where it left off last time you shut it down, Media Player Classic automatically plays DVDs when you put them in your computer, Esword automatically pops up the commentary for a verse when you click on the verse, etc. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

hahah thats great! i did have the first home computer we had bought, it had 1 meg ram and no hard drive lol

they say they think it was stress on the strokes. i had been working 3 jobs for several years, had a 3.5 mile walk to work, worked over night for 10 hours, the walked across the street and worked 8 hours at the hospital, then walked 3.5 miles home. did that 5 days a week. not to mention building and repairing computers on the weekends and building websites etc.

guess i just got too old.

now i am at the other extreme. sit at home day in and day out. miss working. been messing with the computers some trying to get my mind to work right again, plus my hands. i lost a good percentage of use of my right side. so a year later i am still trying to recover. so this has been a good boost for me.

yeah i do my best to make it easy for each person. i try to custom it to what i know they like to do. and i am like you, i dont like alot of the so called paid programs. i have found so many free ones that do so much more than the paid ones.

My latest blog post.

Lynx

The thing about freeware is, people who make it make it to work.  They're not out to make money, they're out to make a program that does X and does X the way they want X done.  Last "program" I bought was RealGuitar 2 (a virtual instrument) and that's only because nobody has made a good freeware one.  Yet. 

Eh hang it, I'm up for a bit.  Might as well make this list too.  Best freeware I've found for all my Winblows bound friends.  I mean Windoze. 
... Windows.  Hmm, maybe I *have* been hanging around Linux chats too much.

Esword bible program
Audacity sound editor/recorder (totally rocks, totally easy!)
Foobar2000 music player
Irfanview video/audio player, pic editor.  Very handy.
K-Lite Media Codec Pack, with Media Player Classic.  Plays any media file that IS a media file.
XChat for Windows, from good ole Silverex.  Handles IRC like no other freeware.
Pidgin IM, handles almost everything chat.
Firefox (I HOPE I don't need to explain to anyone what that is!)
Clamwin antivirus.  Also Antivir.  They seem to work well together, and one will probably catch anything the other misses.
Spybot antispyware
Zone Alarm firewall.
dBpowerAMP audio transcoder, goes from wma to ogg to wav to whatever.  The old dB (11.x) is better and faster than 12.x or later.
MediaCoder audio and video transcoder.  Never did video much myself, but I hear it's great...
Avidemux video editor.
Gimp picture editor.  That is, if you really NEED something Irfanview can't do.  Steep learning curve.
Infrarecorder and/or CDBurnerXP Pro, disk burning. 
OpenOffice office suite.  Who needs M$ Office? :P  Opens and saves as M$ office files if you need them, plus Starwriter, WordPerfect and a lot of formats I've never heard of.
Abiword word processor.  For older computers that don't need a full OpenOffice anyway.
Sumatra PDF viewer.  Sure, Adobe viewer is free, but it's soooo slow!
IzArc, for all your compression and decompression needs.  Handles .rar and almost anything else, will even decompress .iso

Games... this is a whole section.  When I was setting up my brother's computer I got him for his birthday I plowed through hundreds of freeware games.  Wound up with 50 or so really good ones.  Here goes...
Install games: Aquadelic, Abarlith, Battleship 88, Catalyst, Code Red - Battle for Earth, Code Red - Martian Chronicles, Highway Pursuit, Hurrican, Ardentryst, Marble Arena, Mech Commander, Mech Commander 2, Outbound, Red Valkyrie, Super Tux, Super Tux Kart, Star Wraith series (1-4, Star Wraith Reviction), UFO AI, Battle for Wesnoth, TAGAP (a bit bloody but good gameplay), Theseus (has ads, but free to play.)

Portable games:   Area 2048, Ball Racer, Ora Soft:  Cleaning of the trash done in outer space, Echoes, End Effector, Eternal Daughter, Exit Fate, Legend of Flan:  Flan Rising, Freehunter, G-Speed, Guardian of Paradise, Gunroar, Gun Viper, Iji, Freedroid RPG, Last Scenario, Illegal Communication (just try it), Ludo Race, Minigolf Maniacs, Neverball and Neverputt, Op Genocide, Rayhound, Sonic 3D, TechnoSylph, The Desolate Room, The little eggy that could, Titanion, Torus Trooper, Trackballs, Glaxium, Return to Sector 9.  All tested and virus-spyware free.

"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

BTW, ever tried portableapps.com?  Most of the apps you like in Windows, in portable form.  Portable OpenOffice, portable Infrarecorder, even (be still my heart) portable Audacity!  I almost swooned when I saw that last one.   :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

no i havent. really havent needed to? what are they for? lol

My latest blog post.

Lynx

They're for EVERYTHING... portably.  Basically they take already good freeware like Pidgin, OpenOffice, Audacity, and make portable versions a guy can carry on his flash drive.  Don't have to clutter up your friend's computer installing stuff in order to use your favorite program.

Of course if I have a flash drive anyway, I'll just install a whole OS and boot from that instead of the friend's internal hard drive. :P
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

oh lol i never use anyone elses computer. if i cant take a laptop then i dont go lol but good idea if i ever do. may make me a flash drive of progs like this, for those just in case. never think about it

My latest blog post.

Babs

Quote from: Psalm_97 on December 30, 2010, 05:25:29 PM

I'll bookmark this thread for a bit and check in if you have any other questions.

erm i need help lol i cant find any of those programs you named. i opened sys, admin, synaptic pkg mgr. but none of those programs are in the lists or i cant find them. i have the super os version

My latest blog post.

Lynx

1. Which programs are you looking for?  I made a list of Linux programs I use, and a list of programs I install on other people's Windows computers. 

2.  Did you hit the Reload button to get a fresh list of available programs?  Before it connects to the internet, all the programs your computer will know about will be what is on your computer. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

yeah i was trying to find the cd burning prog you suggested, but it isnt in the list. but i will deal with it later. my laptop really really really dont like this, ugh.

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Oooooooh, are you running Puppy on your netbook?  No, k3b won't be available.  All the other OS I yakked about are Debian based, but Puppy is in its own little universe. 

If you're running Ubuntu (or Super OS, or Linux Mint, or Crunch Bang) and you have hit Reload and k3b is still not showing... In Synaptic Package Manager  go to Preferences > Repositories and make sure they're all ticked, main, universe, restricted, multiverse.  Then hit reload again.
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

no i put Super OS on my regular laptop. havent done the eeepc yet. kinda scared to lol

oh ok, i will try that. they werent all checked. wasnt sure if i wanted them checked or not.

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Did any of this stuff we were yakking about work?  Ever get your eee Linux-booted?  Ever get Synaptic to give you the full list of programs?
"Do you sing at church?"