News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

well......today i finally did it.............

Started by Babs, December 29, 2010, 08:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babs

I just installed Linux on a desktop.

:smirk2:

now to go find programs to use with it.  :hi:
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Babs

Ubuntu. I like it ok, but cant seem to figure out how to set up file sharing. it runs great, just not very easy to make changes. it blocks almost everything i have tried to change so far

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Programs for Linux is easy.  In Ubuntu (or variants thereof) go to System, Administration, Synaptic Package Manager.  Hit Reload and Synaptic will download a list of all available programs.  Then just search for something you want, like CD burner (k3b is good), music player (gotta be Amarok), picture editor (Gimp) and etc. 

Linux is actually easier than Windows to bring up to speed after a fresh install.  With Windows you have to sit and click each program to install it, wait, hit OK a lot, then go to the next program.  With Linux you select all the programs you want, then hit Apply.  It goes and downloads all the bits, installs them all in one go and you're done.

I'll bookmark this thread for a bit and check in if you have any other questions.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Babs

thank you for that info! main thing i cant figure out is getting it to share on my network. ugh

My latest blog post.

Lynx

When you right click on a folder (in Ubuntu 10.04 which I'm currently running) it should have an option "Sharing Options."  After following the steps from there, what do you do and why does it not work?  If the other computer (that is trying to access the Ubuntu computer's shared files) requires user credentials, in the Ubuntu computer right click on the shared folder, hit Properties and make sure "Guest Access" is ticked.

This might help:  http://matthewturland.com/2010/01/27/sharing-files-with-windows-from-ubuntu-karmic/
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Babs

well on my network its only my two laptops and now the desktop. the laptops i have everything shared, makes it easier to move files around. but cant seem to share everything on Ubuntu. it sure does everything else better. so i will muddle through it lol

My latest blog post.

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

Quote from: Psalm_97 on January 01, 2011, 01:18:43 AM
hit Properties and make sure "Guest Access" is ticked.

i bet this is what i missed! thank you! and i will check out the link

i really only share music and video files. and photo work

My latest blog post.

Lynx

http://xkcd.com/694/

Soon Windows will be just a fading, virus infested memory.  :thumbsup2:

I've reached the point I use some sort of Linux variant for all internet, and I won't dare place an order online with my credit card on a Windows box.  However much you pay for antivirus and antispyware (you got ripped off, 'cause there are great ones for free!) there's still the chance a new one has come out they haven't caught yet.

Of course the portability of Linux from a live CD or a USB install is great too.  Boot your own system, your files, your programs, your settings from a flash drive, on any computer made after 2004. :D  But for me security is the main reason I use Linux.
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

i am ready for them to rid the world of windows.

that cartoon was classic lol

i think i am going to put this on my laptop as well. i have one of those other really small laptops, an eepc, but i cant install it on that one. it dont have enough hard drive built in. and no cd rom. ugh but i only use it when i am traveling or something for email and stuff. its not big enough for anything else.

but i think it will be good for my acer laptop. i never reformatted it when i got it, so it needs a makeover badly

but overall i think i am hooked on linux :)

My latest blog post.

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

About the eee:  They make a nebook remix of Ubuntu.  Look on their main site, ubuntu.com.  Alternatively (and this is better in my opinion) try Crunch Bang Linux.  It used to be a lightweight remix of Ubuntu, but recently they switched to a straight Debian base.  Very good, very complete, very lightweight.  About the CD drive, use an external drive.  Yes it connects through USB, but any computer made after 2004 will be able to boot from a USB drive, whether it is hard drive, cd/dvd drive or flash drive.  If you don't have an external cd drive, most distros (distro = Linux variant) can be made USB flash drive bootable without a cd.  pendrivelinux.com is a good place to look for instructions, if you're not afraid of using command line.

Here's a good way to do it from within (gasp!) Windows.  Using the enemy against itself, bwahahaha!  Ahem... I mean, here ya go:  http://www.pendrivelinux.com/crunchbang-linux-flash-drive-install-windows/
Download a Crunch Bang .iso, download Universal Installer, insert flash drive, use Universal Installer to install Crunch Bang on the flash drive.

And yes, I am Isaac.  Haven't been here in years, had to re-register my nick.  Chel popped up out of nowhere and gave me a link to this thread.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

And by the way, the eee "really small laptop" is called a netbook, and the reason the hard drive is so incredibly small is because it is a flash-based drive.  No spinning disk.  Kind of like a permanently installed USB flash drive.  The advantage is you can carry the netbook while it is running, juggle it if you wanted, and there is no spinning disk to break down.  Disk drives don't like to be moved while in operation, which is why if your computer has a disk drive it is a good idea to put your computer on standby/sleep before you relocate it.  Also a flash-based hard drive uses much less power than a traditional disk drive.

Hmmm... considering that, maybe Puppy Linux would be better than even Crunch Bang, just based on install size alone.  Not as many programs available, java and flash are not automatically included (ya gotta go out and get them) but it has a VERY small hard drive requirement.  How-to should be the same as for Crunch Bang, just use a Puppy .iso instead of a Crunch Bang .iso.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

* The Purple Fuzzy *HUGS* Isaac

I knew that sounded like you. :bigcheese:

Babs

so if i wanted to put this on my eeepc, would it delete the windows? because if i wanted to go with linux i would want to be rid of windows completely.

i have two usb drives, one 500 gig, and one 130 gig approx. and i have a 16 gig flash drive

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Well with an eee (4 gig hard drive?  8 gig?) you would naturally want to delete Windows just for the space it would free up.  Otherwise, you can dual boot or not on install.  Dual boot = having both Windows and the Linux variant installed at the same time.  When you install Linux (in most of the user-friendly distros anyway) it should give you a choice whether to wipe out current OS or to shrink it and install Linux beside it.  You choose which to boot into when you turn the computer on, it gives you a list of current OS to select from.

The 16 gig flash is more than enough for even full-fledged Ubuntu.  4 gig is the minimum for Ubuntu, most others can make it on 2 gig or less.  Puppy could probably be fine on a 256 meg flash drive.

To clarify, the USB boot will function like a live CD.  When you boot from that you will either want to install to the computer's hard drive or just use it as a live USB boot, but it won't be like a normal installed OS until you install it.
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

its the 4 gig drive. i really wish i had waited to get it, because just a few months later larger ones came out lol

but i would want to wipe it clean if i go that route

so i guess i need to just load it on a flash drive and get to it. will check out the puppy one tomorrow and see about getting it downloaded

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Crunch Bang would be at home on a 4 gig drive, and it has a lot more functionality.  The disclaimer on the website says it might at any time go Crunch!  Bang! but it hasn't happened to me yet.  If it did, eh... I keep all the stuff I want to save on my external drives anyway, I can gain or lose an OS any time.

For the record:
Best all-you-would-ever-need OS:  Super OS.  Basically Ubuntu with aaaaaall the stuff any normal person would want to install after installing Ubuntu anyway.  Java, flash, multimedia codecs for audio and video (play DVDs :D) Skype, VLC, RealPlayer, etc, etc, etc...   Also a good alternative to real Edubuntu for classrooms - instead install Super OS, then install the Edubuntu packs in Synaptic.

Second best all-you-would-ever-need OS:  Linux Mint.  Pretty good.  Not as good as Super OS, but good in its own right.

Best lightweight (all-you-need-on-older-computer) OS:  Crunch Bang.  Does everything Ubuntu does, but with a lot less hard drive and RAM used. 

Best really-lightweight OS for really, really old computers:  Puppy.  Also Puppy is best for forensics and data retrieval on computers with crashed Windows OS that you want to rescue files from.

By the way, if you still want to stick with regular Ubuntu there is an easy way to change those maximize:minimize:close buttons back to the right of the window.  THE biggest complaint from Ubuntu users to date, don't know why they changed it as of 10.04.
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

:yikes:

what to do what to do?!?!? lol

im thinking about trying one of the other versions you mentioned on my desktop, not really impressed as i feel i should be with the U. but at least now i know i def want a linux system.

guess i will have to spend some time looking at the sites

My latest blog post.

Lynx

While I have some time to kill, might as well list best programs for Linux.  These work in Ubuntu or Debian based OS (everything I mentioned in the previous post except Puppy.)

Disk burner:K3b.  Better than the in-house cd burner that comes with most Linux variants.  Uses KDE runtime, so if you're in a non-KDE environment it might seem like a lot of stuff being downloaded for one program, but it's worth it.  Almost beats Nero, and I don't mean Nero for Linux.

Music recorder/editor:  Audacity.  Very easy to use, very powerful, very handy.  I've set up a lot of people with this as a way to quickly and easily convert their old cassettes/records to CD.

Antivirus:  Clam AV.  Don't look at me like that, you still need an antivirus even in Linux.  Not to protect Linux... to protect any Windows computer you might port that downloaded file to.  Also it is handy on USB installed Linux to have an antivirus - if the virus just will *not* let Windows even boot, you can boot from the USB Linux and run an antivirus scan of the whole internal hard drive. 

Bible program:  Xiphos.  The Search function has replaced my concordance, and you can load a commentary, click on a verse and get the commentary for that particular verse to pop up in the side window.

Music player:  Amarok, has to be.  Has a comprehensive music library setup, and it can interface with MP3 players like Windows Media Player (WiMP) does.

Games:  Neverball, Neverputt, Chromium, Battle for Wesnoth... and tons of first-person-shooters that have lots of players online.  For Battle for Wesnoth, be sure to get all the scenarios packs.

Image editing (like Photoshop):  Gimp.  Takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you are accustomed to PS, but it works and works well.

Instant Messenger:  Pidgin.  Handles Yahoo IM, MSN, Google chat, IRC chat rooms, ICQ, and a lot of stuff even I have never heard of.

IRC:  XChat.  Very good, very complete chat script.  Or you can just let Pidgin handle IRC, but if you're a mod you'll want the popups XChat already has.

Office suite:  OpenOffice (if your chosen OS doesn't already have it... most of the more popular Linux distros come with it by default.)

Don't forget Wine Windows emulator, although I don't have any programs I use in it... ya never know, you might need to run a win program.

If there's anything else I forgot it. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"guess i will have to spend some time looking at the sites"

Choosing a Linux...  That can lead to trouble.  Read this cautionary tale:  http://xkcd.com/456/

Yes, it was just a joke.  But the part about Gentoo was for real - avoid it like the plague if you have a life and want to keep it.  :cool:
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

lol

i just say linux because i can spell it  :freaky2:

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Ya know what... I was fiddling around with latest Crunch Bang (just downloaded it last night) and never mind - Stick with Puppy.  Crunch Bang doesn't even automount partitions.  Even DSL automounts.  :/

Of course the great thing about Linux distros being free (and USB bootable) is you can download as many as you want and try them - without paying and before installing anything.     :clap:
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

ok i have puppy downloaded and put on the flash drive. will install later today.

as far as the desktop i am confused lol what of the versions you mentioned are best for a desktop?

My latest blog post.