News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Kids and the Holy Ghost

Started by Niki, July 14, 2009, 07:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niki

Maybe there's already a thread about this, but I didn't feel like searching for it. Plus, it's late and I'm trying to finish up online and get in the bed.

We had a really great service Sunday night. We had a prayer line and pretty much everyone got in line, including my daughter (who is 9) and I. (My son and husband were at home.) When the preacher (our pastor is out of town; this was one of our other ministers - a real firecracker) got to Kelly and I, he laid hands on Kelly first (she was really only in line because I was) and then laid hands on me.

After praying a bit, I looked down at Kelly (who was still clinging to me) and saw that she was crying. We walked to our seats (third row) and I took out some Kleenex. Kelly kept crying. She got in my lap and I prayed for her. Then a friend came and prayed too.

Kelly didn't really open her mouth to pray (she told me later that she was praying in her mind lol), but this is a good step. My daughter has never responded to the move of God. Neither has my son (Sean, age 12), though he's always been more interested in church, the Bible, stories about angels and moves of God, preaching, etc. than Kelly has. I always thought it would be him who responded first.

I told Kelly after she was done crying and I was done praying for her that God was touching her heart and calling her to Him.

I prayed with her some tonight (after reading some scriptures to her and explaining them) before she went to bed. (Sean was already asleep.) She wasn't really into it, but she did have her hands lifted and was talking to God very quietly.

Since my kids were born (probably even before they were born), I've prayed that they would receive the Holy Ghost at an early age. I know this is just a tiny step for Kelly, but I'm excited.

Sean kind of made me laugh when Kelly and I got home from church. He said that he wondered why he has never cried like that. I think he was a little jealous. I'm hoping this will encourage him to start reaching out to God. Though I'm not putting any pressure on him.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I'm just really happy about this. :)
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

Chseeads

Just keep encouraging them. 

God dealt with me when I was little but I didn't really understand it and I spent a long time running from it. 

It sounds like you're doing a good job.

titushome

Ditto what Seth said.

It really bothers me when I hear parents or teachers/preachers putting pressure on kids to pray, or receive the Holy Spirit, or whatever.  I don't think it's something we're supposed to feel pressured about - it's supposed to be based on a loving relationship with our heavenly Father.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

myhaloisintheshop

i grew up in church and when I didn't feel pressured is when I was most receptive

In a church I have attended it was looked at to be a problem if a child doesn't have the holy ghost by age 9.   :roll:   

Sis

My friend used to take her kids up to the altar at every altar call. They were expected to be quiet while mom was praying. They were comfortable with being there and all three got the HG at a young age.

What bothers me is people feeling like kids HAVE to have an adult praying with them. I don't think so. When kids were praying, I had their friends pray with them and stood back, watching. When they got close, I'd step in and pray for them WITH their friends.

There was a woman in our church, at home, that disagreed with me and said that kids HAVE to have adults pray with them. I think when kids see other kids praying, it can get them to pray, too. I've prayed with kids who got the Holy Ghost and a couple of their friends either got it or got close, to it.

I have seen people praying with kids and screaming in their faces. In one case, the little girl was crying but it wasn't the Holy Ghost, she was from an abusive home and she just felt she was being yelled at.

When people pray with kids, it has to be different. Kids aren't adults. I don't think screaming in the face of an adult is so great, either.

ActsRevival

I am the childrens pastor for our local church and I can say that working with children is a lot different from working with adults....  You have to take children very very differently.   Children are simple. They're minds are full of thoughts and presumptions about God and church.   

Pink Panther

Should we let our 7 year old get baptized? I know that probly sounds stupid huh? He wants to, even said that sometimes when the pastor is talking about the Lord that it makes him want to cry. But we just want to make sure he understands WHY we get baptized, and the scripture Acts 2:38, we just don't want the same thing to happen to him as his sister, some people try to help, but wind up hurting in the end.........any advice?

Sis

Talk to the pastor about it. If he's convinced that your son knows what it's for and not that he wants it because the other kids have, he will do it. If not, he may have you wait.

Melody

Hannah is 7 and she got baptized this year.  She has wanted to for a few years but mostly because she seen others getting baptized. 

At some point her conversation about it changed and she started talking about how she needed to get baptized and told us why.  I let her do this for a number of times to see if it was simply a repeat of a S.S. lesson that week.

My kids respond at different times to church.  Andrew really likes Lee Stoneking and the Olivers so when they come he is extra attentive and responsive. 

I felt conviction about what the preacher was saying when I was 5 and went up and got the Holy Ghost.  I know I only knew the basics but my response was sincere and God used it. 

I do agree that baptisms need to be when you feel they really "get it".  It's not about knowing all the facts and theology but having the real sense of necessity with a basic understanding.  Many kids are shy, if this is the case and their desire to be baptized overrides their shyness, I would seize the moment.  Video tape it if you can.  I video taped Andrew's and it continues to move him when he sees it.  I only got a picture of Hannah's.

RainbowJingles

I was seven years old when I got baptized.  I remember first mentioning it to my mom, and telling her that I didn't want to miss the rapture (fear response).  I now realize what she did, as I recall other conversations later dwelling on the fact that I wanted to go to heaven, and that I knew I needed to be baptized.  30 years later, I still have my baptismal certificate and a picture of me in the water, and I know that i was baptized for the remission of my sins.  I didn't receive the Holy Ghost until I was about 12 years old.

Today, as a children's pastor, I tend to feel more strongly that children that old may be better off waiting until they receive (or at least nearly receive) the Holy Ghost before they are baptized.  In the years between being baptized and being filled with the Holy Ghost, I had several times of wondering why I didn't receive it.  Lots of uncertainty.

I do agree with what someone else said, though: the pastor or children's pastor can help you decide based on the circumstances.  Every child is different.

tj25

We were in an awesome service a couple of months ago i looked around and Michael who is 12 now was praying and speaking in tongues. He cried and prayed all through the worship and preaching. It really did my heart good to see him so moved and yielding to the holy ghost.
Eternity is too long to be wrong!

mesipie

its mesi: mee see...not messy

messaypah to only a certain few...lol...