News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

here are some greek dishes i really enjoy making

Started by Babs, October 21, 2007, 03:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babs

Quote from: teacheroftheLord on January 13, 2008, 06:28:23 AM
A friend of mine recently introduced me to a greek restaurant, and I loved it!  The food was delicious, I stayed full all day, and I even got to break a plate.  lol

lol yeah thats the best part of going to a Greek restaurant lol

but Greek foods are my favorite, then Chinese

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/greek/ this link has some good stuff on it

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Babs

Naturally low fat, tilapia is a wonderfully mild, meaty, inexpensive fish that lends itself to all kinds of flavors. Serve this Greek-style dish with steamed vegetables and either couscous or rice--whole grain, of course.
INGREDIENTS:

* 4 Tilapia fillets
    * 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    * Juice of 1 large lemon
    * 2 tsp oregano
    * 1/2 tsp paprika
    * Freshly ground black pepper

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, paprika and ground pepper. Lay Tilapia fillets in a single layer in the baking dish.
Drizzle oil, lemon and herb mixture over the fish. Cover with foil and bake for 15-18 minutes.

Serve with steamed vegetables and whole grain couscous or rice.

Serves 4.

My latest blog post.

Babs

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups unsalted butter
    * 1 cup white sugar
    * 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    * 5 eggs
    * 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 3 tablespoons baking powder
    * 1/4 cup sesame seeds

DIRECTIONS

1. In large mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for 10 minutes on medium speed. Add four of the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Add to the butter mixture and stir to form soft, cohesive dough. Add flour if dough is too soft to handle easily.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets

3. Lightly flour a work surface. Break off 1 inch lumps of dough and roll on floured surface into ropes about 7 inches long and 1/4 inch in diameter. Cross the ends and twirl dough in a loop in the opposite direction, forming a braid. Place on cookie sheets about 1 inch apart.

4. Beat remaining egg. Brush onto braids for glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheets for 10 minutes, then remove to racks to cool completely.

My latest blog post.

Babs

In Greek: τζατζίκι, pronounced dza-DZEE-kee

Tzatziki is traditionally served as an appetizer and can be left on the table as an accompaniment to foods throughout the meal. The key to great tzatziki is the thick creamy texture that allows it to be eaten alone, as a dip, as a spread, and as a condiment.

INGREDIENTS:

* 16 ounces (2 cups) of strained Greek yogurt
    * 4 to 10 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    * 1/2 cup of diced or grated cucumber (Kirby or "English")
    * 1 tablespoon of olive oil
    * 2 teaspoons of lemon juice

PREPARATION:

Prepare all ingredients in advance. Combine oil and lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl. Fold the yogurt in slowly, making sure it mixes completely with the oil. Add the garlic, according to taste, and the cucumber.

Stir until evenly distributed. Garnish with a bit of green and serve well chilled.

Yield: about 2 1/2 cups

Add mint or dill: Slight variations include 1-2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh dill and/or fresh mint. Tasty additions!

Shopping Tip:

The thick, full-fat yogurts available at Greek, Middle Eastern, and specialty food markets - or a commercial full-fat strained yogurt - will give the best results. You can also make your own strained yogurt using full-fat, low-fat, or fat-free commercial yogurt.

Preparation Tips:

* Kirby or "English" cucumbers work best (usually wrapped in plastic wrap at the market). If not available, peel and seed the cucumber before dicing or grating.

* After dicing or grating the cucumber, pat it dry with absorbent toweling to remove excess moisture.

* The longer the tzatziki is refrigerated before serving, the more intense the garlic taste will become.

Storage:

Tzatziki will store safely in the refrigerator for several days. If excess liquid accumulates on top, just pour it off.

Serving Suggestions:

Friends who are passionate about tzatziki serve it with non-Greek foods including fried chicken, lunch/dinner omelets, and in other ways suited to their tastes.

My latest blog post.

Babs

Cook Time : 30min
Course : Dessert
Special : Vegan, Vegetarian
Type of Prep : Bake

In Greek: γάστριν, pronounced GHAHS-treen

Sesame seeds, pepper, and poppy seeds are only some of the unusual ingredients in this ancient recipe. Petimezi (a sweetener made from grapes), used long before sugar arrived in Greece, adds to the unique taste. If you're hooked on the Ancients, give this recipe a try.
INGREDIENTS:

* For the dough:
    * 4 cups of all-purpose flour
    * 1 teaspoon of salt
    * 1/4 cup of olive oil
    * juice of 1 lemon
    * 3 1/2 ounces of toasted sesame seeds (a little over 2/3 cup), ground
    * -----------
    * For the filling:
    * 2/3 pounds of chopped hazelnuts, unsalted
    * 2/3 pounds of chopped almonds, unsalted
    * 2/3 pounds of chopped walnuts
    * 1/5 pound of sesame seeds
    * 1/5 pound of poppy seeds
    * 1 teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
    * 3/4 cup of honey
    * ----------
    * For the syrup:
    * 2 cups of sugar
    * 1 cup of water
    * 1/4 cup of petimezi *
    * 3/4 cup of honey

PREPARATION:

* Petimezi: a syrup made from grapes (recipe).

Combine the dough ingredients and knead to form the dough. Roll out into 3 equal-sized sheets about 1/8 inch thick, large enough to cover a medium baking pan.

Combine all filling ingredients.

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).

Place one sheet of dough in the bottom of a lightly oiled baking pan.
Cover with half the filling. Add the second sheet of dough and the remaining filling. Place the third sheet of dough on top. Cut into squares and then diagonally to form trianges. Sprinkle with a little water and sesame seeds.

Bake on the rack just below the middle of the oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 30 minutes.

When the pastry is cool, combine all syrup ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Pour the hot syrup over the cooled pastry and let sit until syrup is absorbed (about 3-4 hours).

*Petimezi: Grape Syrup (Grape Molasses)

In Greek: πετιμέζι, pronounced peh-tee-MEH-zee

This is a specialty on the Greek island of Crete and one of the oldest (most ancient) recipes I know. Try this naturally sweet (no sugar added) syrup on yogurt, ice cream, in tea, on pancakes, in baking, and as a topping for snow!. A teaspoon also work wonders for sore throat and colds. On Crete, it's made in large quantities in September when grapes are harvested, and used throughout the year.
INGREDIENTS:

* 65 pounds of white (pale green) grapes on stems
    * 4 tablespoons of wood ash (from the fireplace or barbecue grill)
    * or
    * 3 gallons of green grape grape must *
    * -----------
    * For storing:
    * rose-scented pelargonium leaves (scented geranium) or bay leaves (optional)

PREPARATION:

Notes:

* 65 pounds of grapes will yield about 3 gallons of juice.
    * You'll need a piece of tulle for this recipe.

If starting from scratch

(Work in manageable batches.) In a large tub, squeeze the grapes by hand (or use a grape press if available) to get as much juice as possible.
Pour the grapes and juice through a strainer, collecting the juice in a large bowl or pot. Discard the skins, seeds and any pulp.

Add 4 tablespoons of wood ash to the gallon of juice, stir, and let sit for 10 minutes. It will make a froth. Strain the juice through the tulle into a bowl, and discard any collected seeds and ash.

Prepare the petimezi in batches of 1 or 2 quarts each. Bring the juice to a boil, lower the heat to the lowest setting and cook uncovered for 1 hour. Skim off any froth that rises. The resulting syrup should be the consistency of thin maple syrup. It will be a dark reddish-brown color (see photo).

* If starting with Grape Must (recipe)

Boil the must for at least one hour, until it thickens enough to coat a spoon (slow drip).

Store in clean jars with a leaf of rose-scented pelargonium or a bay leaf (for a less sweet taste), away from light. Seal jars after the syrup has cooled completely. Do not refrigerate.

Over time, the syrup may thicken. To thin, place the jar in a pot with 1-2 inches of water and warm gently (do not boil).

My latest blog post.

Babs

Ingredients
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 large eggs
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 1/2 tablespoons dried or 1/2 cup chopped fresh dillweed
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo pastry (22 sheets), thawed
Vegetable cooking spray

Preparation
Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
Unfold phyllo, and cover with a slightly damp towel to prevent pastry from drying out.

Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a flat surface covered with wax paper; coat with cooking spray. Top with another sheet of phyllo; coat with cooking spray. Cut crosswise into 6 (2 1/2-inch-wide) strips.

Place 1 tablespoon spinach mixture at base of each strip; fold the right bottom corner over to form a triangle. Continue folding back and forth into a triangle, gently pressing corners together.

Place triangles, seam side down, on ungreased baking sheets; coat triangles lightly with cooking spray.

Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets, cooking spray, and spinach mixture.

Bake pastries at 350° for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.

Note: Unbaked appetizers may be frozen up to 2 weeks. Freeze on baking sheets until hard; then freeze in airtight containers. Bake, unthawed, as directed above.

Yield
5 1/2 dozen

My latest blog post.

Babs

ingredients:

1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/3 pounds ground lamb
4 hamburger buns or small ciabatta rolls, halved crosswise
1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
1 1/3 cups crumbled feta cheese
4 1/4-inch-thick red onion slices
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

preparation:

Mix first 4 ingredients and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in medium bowl; mix in lamb. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Cook patties in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes per side for medium.

Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Broil buns until golden, about 2 minutes. Top each bun bottom with burger. Toss spinach, feta, onion, vinegar, and 11/2 tablespoons oil in bowl. Place salad atop burgers. Cover with bun tops, pressing firmly to compact.

nutrition information:

One serving contains the following: Calories (kcal) 711.55; % Calories from Fat 53.0; Fat (g) 41.92; Saturated Fat (g) 17.25; Cholesterol (mg) 140.62; Carbohydrates (g) 42.48; Dietary Fiber (g) 3.13; Total Sugars (g) 5.05; Net Carbs (g) 39.35; Protein (g) 40.05

My latest blog post.

Babs

INGREDIENTS

1 kg. tomatoes peeled and mashed
2 courgettes grated and strained
4 spoons grated cheese
2 beaten eggs
2 minced onions
Flour
1 spoon dried spearmint
Salt
Pepper
Oil for frying

Preparation:

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Add flour and work the mixture until it thickens. In order to thicken, if it is too elastic, add more flour. Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Drop teaspoons of mixture into the oil. Fry them on both sides and serve hot or cold.

My latest blog post.

Ashlee

The Purple Fuzzy

EricShane

I like mediteranian food, greek - italian whatever.. my grandparents are from Sicily. So, its kind of instilled in me
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Ashlee

I am hungry Mom, and I haven't had greek food in awhile.

upcchris

I'm half Greek, My Greek heritage was a big part of my upbringing, so I'm looking at all this with a bemused expression on my face. One thing that's is definitely true about greek food: it will fill you up and keep you full...in fact you'll be so full that all you'll want to do after eating is sleep.

For best results in greek cooking, if the recipe calls for something to be cooked in oil, use extra virgin olive oil. Greeks mainly use olive oil when cooking.
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

Ashlee

upcchris

None off the top of my head, I'll have to look them up
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

iridiscente

EricShane

Quote from: upcchris on December 15, 2008, 03:39:04 AM
I'm half Greek, My Greek heritage was a big part of my upbringing, so I'm looking at all this with a bemused expression on my face. One thing that's is definitely true about greek food: it will fill you up and keep you full...in fact you'll be so full that all you'll want to do after eating is sleep.

For best results in greek cooking, if the recipe calls for something to be cooked in oil, use extra virgin olive oil. Greeks mainly use olive oil when cooking.
yes! It wasnt much in our upbringing though as much.. but we always cook everything in olive oil of course!
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Babs

For those who like Ramen noodles this looked interesting:

Greek Ramen Salad

You will need:
- 2 packages of ramen noodles
- 1 cup of feta cheese
- 1 cup of red peppers
- 1/2 cup of onions
- 1/2 cup of black olives
- 1/2 cup of green olives
- 1/2 cup of tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 cup of onions
- 1/4 cup of citrus juice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups of water

How to cook:
The noodles:
1. Put 2 cups of water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
2. Once the water is boiling add your ramen noodles.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes until the noodles are tender and separated.
4. Take off the water with the strainer.
The recipe:
5. Mix the canola oil and the citrus juice in a bowl.
6. Add some salt and pepper.
7. Cut all the vegetables into small pieces.
8. Cut the feta cheese into small cubes.
9. Add the vegetables and feta cheese on top of your noodles.
10. Pour the dressing on your greek salad.
11. Enjoy!

Ramen salad
As you can see, making a ramen salad is pretty easy and it can be ready in minutes. Add pretty much anything you like, it can be your favorite vegetables, some cheese or dried seaweeds, mix everything together, add some oil or vinaigrette and you are ready to eat a delicious meal!

Well this is a very tasty ramen recipe. Without any "bad" ingredient, you can make a meal that everyone will enjoy. This recipe is taken from the traditional Greek Salad and with ramen noodles, it manage to please all hungry people!

This recipe is easy to make and it adds a fresh new taste to your ramen noodles. Eaten cold, with feta cheese and oil this ends up being delicious to try in the summer as a meal.

My latest blog post.

Ashlee

*bump*

There are two greek restaurants that recently opened up near me.  I'm excited.  Anybody care to share more recipes?