News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

here are some greek dishes i really enjoy making

Started by Babs, October 21, 2007, 03:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babs

These are some greek dishes I love to make and thought I would share them here. They are easy to make too.

Greek Chicken

"A very good light summer dish. I serve it with sliced tomatoes, feta cheese, and garlic bread."

PREP TIME       15 Min
COOK TIME     30 Min
READY IN     8 Hrs 45 Min
Original recipe yield: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup olive oil
    * 3 cloves garlic, chopped
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
    * 2 lemons, juiced
    * 1 (4 pound) chicken, cut into pieces

DIRECTIONS

1. In a glass dish, mix the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and lemon juice. Place       
       the chicken pieces in the mixture, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours or
       overnight.
   2. Preheat grill for high heat.
   3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the grill, and discard the marinade. Cook chicken 
       pieces up to 15 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Smaller pieces will not take as long.

===========================================================

Mediterranean Greek Salad

"This is a great salad to take to a barbeque. All ingredients are approximate, so add more or less of any ingredient depending on your own taste."

PREP TIME      10 Min
READY IN        10 Min
Original recipe yield: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS

* 3 cucumbers, seeded and sliced
    * 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
    * 1 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
    * 3 cups diced roma tomatoes
    * 1/3 cup diced oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, oil reserved
    * 1/2 red onion, sliced

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large salad bowl, toss together the cucumbers, feta cheese, olives, roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons reserved sun-dried tomato oil, and red onion. Chill until serving.

Spinach and Feta Pita Bake

"This is great as a party appetizer or a full meal. Tasty, full of flavor AND good for you. The crunchy crust is what I really like! You can play with the veggie toppings and cheeses for a great meal that is fast and delicious! Our favorite quick meal!"

PREP TIME       5 Min
COOK TIME     12 Min
READY IN     17 Min
Original recipe yield: 6 servings

INGREDIENTS

* 6 (6 inch) whole wheat pita breads
    * 1 (6 ounce) tub sun-dried tomato pesto
    * 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
    * 1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
    * 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
    * 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    * 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
   2. Spread tomato pesto onto one side of each pita bread, and place them pesto side up on a
       baking sheet. Top with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
       Drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
   3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven or until pita breads are crisp. Cut into quarters
       and serve.

Greek Chicken Salad

Original recipe yield: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
    * 1/2 cup sliced carrots
    * 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
    * 1/4 cup sliced black olives
    * 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    * 1/4 cup Italian-style salad dressing

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl combine the chicken, carrots, cucumber, olives and cheese. Gently mix
       together. Add the salad dressing and mix well.
   2. Cover and refrigerate. Let flavors marinate for at least 1 hour. Serve on a bed of lettuce if
       desired.

Party-Size Greek Couscous Salad

"If you are tired of the same old potato or macaroni salad and want raves, try this at your next picnic or pot luck! This recipe can be easily adapted depending on the veggies and dressing you use. Salad can be made the night before; however, add dressing just before serving."

PREP TIME       30 Min
COOK TIME     15 Min
READY IN     45 Min
Original recipe yield: 20 servings

INGREDIENTS

* 3 (6 ounce) packages garlic and herb couscous mix (or any flavor you prefer)
    * 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
    * 1 (5 ounce) jar pitted kalamata olives, halved
    * 1 cup mixed bell peppers (green, red, yellow, orange), diced
    * 1 cucumber, sliced and then halved
    * 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
    * 1 (8 ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
    * 1/2 cup Greek vinaigrette salad dressing

DIRECTIONS

1. Cook couscous according to package directions. Transfer to a large serving bowl to cool. Stir
       to break up clusters of couscous.
   2. When the couscous has cooled to room temperature, mix in tomatoes, olives, bell peppers,
       cucumber, parsley, and feta. Gradually stir vinaigrette into couscous until you arrive at 
       desired moistness.

Shrimps Saganaki

"This is a starters Greek recipe that is also eaten as an ouzo 'meze' (snack). It is a delicious dish that I'd only tried in restaurants but when I tried to make it at home I found out I made it as good and delicious. With a small alteration of adding pasta you can turn this dish into a delicious seafood pasta dish."

PREP TIME       5 Min
COOK TIME     35 Min
READY IN     40 Min

INGREDIENTS

* 1 pound medium shrimp, with shells
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    * 1 cup white wine
    * 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
    * 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1 (8 ounce) package feta cheese, cubed
    * salt and pepper to taste (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the shrimp, the water
      should just cover them. Boil for 5 minutes, then drain, reserving the liquid, and set aside.
   2. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan. Add the onions; cook and stir until the
       onions are soft. Mix in the parsley, wine, tomatoes, garlic powder, and remaining olive oil.
       Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
   3. While the sauce is simmering, the shrimps should have become cool enough to handle. First
       remove the legs by pinching them, and then pull off the shells, leaving the head and tail on.
   4. When the sauce is thickened, stir in the shrimp stock and shrimp. Bring to a simmer, and 
       cook for about 5 minutes. Add the feta cheese and remove from the heat. Let stand until 
       the cheese starts to melt. Serve warm.

These are a few of my favorites, you can find many more that are good at this site below:

http://allrecipes.com/

Are there any other good greek recipes that you know of? I would love to try some new ones.
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

zizi90

YUM! Those sound great, I love Greek food! I will have to try some of those!
www.PaulinaCarmel.com ~Modest Clothing~
www.PaulinaCarmel.Blogspot.com ~Mod Fashion Blog

Babs

here are a few more of my favorites that are found at

http://greekfood.about.com/

Aginara Salata: Fresh Artichoke Salad

Fresh artichokes, trimmed down to the tenderest part of leaves, heart, and stem, are thinly sliced into a salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and spring onions. A handful of Greek olives, olive oil, and lemon juice add the finishing touch to this elegant salad.
INGREDIENTS:

* 2 fresh artichokes
    * 2 lemons
    * juice of 2 lemons
    * 1 teaspoon of sea salt
    * 1 tomato, cut in chunks
    * 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
    * 4 leaves of Romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and shredded
    * 1 large spring onion, trimmed, washed, sliced
    * extra virgin olive oil

PREPARATION:

Trim off all but 1 inch of the artichoke stem. Trim off outer green leaves, leaving internal yellow leaves. Trim off top 1/2 to 1 inch of the leaves with needles. Cut artichokes in half to reveal the choke.
Cut in half again. Rub each piece with lemon. With a sharp knife, cut out choke and discard. Cut artichoke into long thin slices, place in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Toss to coat well.

Sprinkle the tomato and cucumber with salt and place in a large salad bowl. Add lettuce, spring onions, and artichoke slices, along with a little lemon juice from the bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, toss, and taste. If the taste is too lemony, add a little more oil. Toss in a handful of green Greek olives, and serve.

Yield: serves 4

Soufle Kounoupithiou: 3-Cheese Baked Cauliflower

This recipes calls for cauliflower, milk, cheeses, eggs, and spices. A fabulous way to serve cauliflower (it can also be made with broccoli), and a pretty dish as well.
INGREDIENTS:

* 3 1/3 pounds of cauliflower
    * 4 cups of whole milk
    * 1 teaspoons of salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
    * 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
    * 4-5 tablespoons of cornstarch
    * 2 eggs
    * 1/4 pound of graviera cheese (gruyere)
    * 1/4 pound of grated gouda cheese
    * 1/4 pound of grated kefalotyri cheese (or pecorino, parmesan)

PREPARATION:

In a bowl, combine cheeses and toss to mix thoroughly.

Preheat oven to 350F (180C).

Wash and trim the cauliflower, removing core and leaves. Cut into medium-sized pieces, and boil in well-salted water for 10 minutes.
Set aside to drain.

In a saucepan, heat 3 cups of milk with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg over medium-low heat. In a small bowl, beat together the remaining 1 cup of milk, eggs, and cornstarch. When the milk is steaming (do not boil), add the beaten egg mixture, whisking continuously so it doesn't boil. When the sauce thickens, remove from heat and stir in 2/3 of the mixed cheeses.

Spread the cauliflower evenly over the bottom of a 13" x 10" (or equivalent) pan. Pour the sauce over evenly and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Bake at 350F (180C) for about 40-45 minutes.

Tip: Use leftover steamed or boiled cauliflower or broccoli to make this delicious dish.

Melitzana Skharas: Grilled Eggplant Bowls

The taste of eggplant cooked on the grill just can't be matched, and this recipe creates a simple and delicious bowl-shaped dish to serve as an appetizer, side dish, or main dish combined with other grilled veggies. And go on... eat the bowl. Crisp grilled eggplant skin is quite tasty.
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 large eggplant (for two people)
    * 2 tablespoons (or more) extra virgin Greek olive oil
    * sea salt
    * freshly ground pepper
    * ----------
    * Optional additional seasonings:
    * Ground cumin
    * Garlic clove cut in half

PREPARATION:

Rinse eggplant. Remove leaves and stem and wipe to clean and dry.

Cut the eggplant in half from the top (stem) to bottom. Score through the pulp several times almost all the way through, taking care not to cut through the skin.

Pour or rub 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil on each half (pulp side) and sprinkle with seasonings to taste.
(If using garlic, rub the pulp with garlic before adding oil and other seasonings.)

Place on a hot grill, cut side down and cook until the skin turns completely brown/black. Turn halves onto the skin side and continue to grill until the juices bubble up. On a closed grill, placed about 6 inches above the coals, it will take approximately 15 minutes to a side. On an open grill, place closer to the coals and it may take longer.

Note: The juices will start to steam and the eggplant pulp will expand and contract as the juices boil internally. Wait until the juices bubble up out the top before removing from the grill.

Serve hot, to be eaten with or without the skin.

Hortarika sto Fourno: Mixed Vegetable Oven Casserole

A fabulous combination of mixed vegetables. While oven roasted vegetables (Briam) are fabulous for summer when vegetables are at their freshest, these casserole veggies are perfect for late summer and autumn, when eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes are still available, but not at their peak.
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 pound of eggplant
    * 1/2 pound of fresh green beans
    * 3/4 pound of potatoes
    * 1/2 pound of carrots
    * 3/4 pound of zucchini
    * 2 bull's horn peppers (or green bell peppers)*
    * 1/2 red bell pepper*
    * 1 medium onion
    * 1 cup of chopped ripe tomatoes
    * 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    * 1/2 bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
    * 2-3 ounces of olive oil
    * 1 teaspoon of sea salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
    * about 2 cups of water

PREPARATION:

* For added color, use a mix of bell peppers - green, red, yellow, and/or orange.

Rinse eggplant thoroughly, trim stem and leaves, cut into chunks (skin on), and place in a large bowl of cold salted water to cover, to remove bitterness.
(If the eggplant chunks float, place a plate on top to hold them down.)

Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C).

Prepare remaining vegetables, trimming stems (peel the potatoes, seed the peppers), and cut into chunks.

Drain and rinse eggplant.

Place all ingredients except water in a large bowl and toss with hands to mix well. Transfer to a covered oven-safe casserole dish (or a covered baking or roasting pan), add water, and bake at 355°F (180°C) for about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Note: It shouldn't dry out, but check toward the end of cooking time and add a litte more water if needed.

Yield: serves 6 as a main dish

Spanaki me Sparaggia Ograten: Spinach & Asparagus Bake

Ograten (au gratin) dishes became part of the Greek cooking experience in the early 1900s, and this combination of fresh spinach and asparagus with cream and sharp cheese is a delicious example of this type of cooking. Serve as a meatless main dish or side.
INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 cup of olive oil
    * 1 pound of leeks, finely chopped
    * 1 pound of fresh asparagus, cut in small pieces
    * 3 pounds of fresh spinach, washed, drained, and coarsely chopped
    * 3-4 tablespoons of fresh dill, finely chopped
    * 2 1/2 - 3 cups of grated potato
    * 1 pound of cheese, grated (sharp, mild, or a mixture - to taste)
    * 1 cup of heavy cream
    * 2 teaspoons of sea salt (optional, depending on the saltiness of the cheese)
    * 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper

PREPARATION:

In a large stew pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add leeks and sauté until soft. Add asparagus and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spinach, stirring constantly until the liquid begins to gather and boil in the bottom of the pot.
Stir in dill, salt, and pepper. Cook for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain in a colander and transfer to a mixing bowl.

Preheat oven to 350°F (approximately 175°C)

Spread the grated potatoes evenly on the bottom of a 11 X 11 inch (or equivalent) baking pan. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the grated cheese, and set aside 1 cup of grated cheese for the topping.

Stir the remaining cheese and the heavy cream into the spinach and asparagus mixture. Spread the mixture on top of the potatoes and sprinkle the top with the 1 cup of cheese set aside earlier.

Bake at 350°F (approximately 175°C) for 40-45 minutes until the top is a deep golden.

Remove from oven and let sit for 30 minutes before serving.

Yield: serves 6 as a main dish, 9-10 as a side dish

Lahanodolmathakia: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Rice

These cabbage rolls are delicious as a main dish, but I often make them using small pieces of the cabbage leaf, to create small rolls that are perfect as a side dish, addition to a buffet table, or appetizer.
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cabbage, approx. 4 1/2 pounds
    * 2 3/4 cups of rice (preferably long grain)
    * 2 medium onions, finely chopped
    * 3 ripe medium tomatoes, finely chopped
    * 1/2 bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped
    * 1/2 bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
    * 2/3 cup of olive oil
    * 1 teaspoon of pepper
    * 2 teaspoons of salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
    * 1 cup of water
    * juice of 2 lemons (about 4-5 tablespoons)
    * 1 teaspoon of flour

PREPARATION:

Make the stuffing: Combine onion, rice, tomatoes, dill, parsley, salt, pepper, cumin, and olive oil in a bowl.

Prepare cabbage leaves: Remove the core of the cabbage, and stick a large fork into the center.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and immerse the cabbage, leaving the fork in. When the outer leaves turn bright green, remove using the fork and remove softened leaves. Return to pot and repeat until all cabbage leaves have been removed.

Prepare rolls: If making large cabbage rolls, use the whole leaf. If making small rolls, tear leaves into 4 parts (for smaller leaves, tear into fewer pieces).

For large rolls, place a heaping tablespoon of filling 1 inch from the thick end of the cabbage leaf. Fold the bottom over the filling, fold the sides in, and roll up.

For small rolls, place 1 teaspoon of filling at one side of the leaf part, fold the leaf up over the filling, fold in sides, and roll up.

Note: Don't roll too tightly. The rice will need some room to expand during cooking.

Place rolls, seam side down, in a large pot. Cover with a plate that fits over the rolls, turned upside down. Bring to a full boil over medium heat (it will boil with its own liquid). Add 1 cup of water and when it resumes full boil, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the plate.

In a small bowl, stir the flour into the lemon juice until dissolved. Add several tablespoons of liquid from the pot and stir. Pour into the pot and shake the pot gently to distribute.

Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

My latest blog post.

Sister_Mom

Oh wow!! I'm full and these recipes are making me drool. I looooove Greek food. These sound great! I'll have to try some of them. Thanks Sis!  :thumbsup2:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Babs

i think i am getting in the cooking mood again. lol now the the weather is cooling off

My latest blog post.

Babs

ok for a few more, these are some i am planning to try hopefully this week. at least one of them anyways lol

this is where they can be found. this is a great site!
http://www.epicurious.com/

=============================================================

greek-spiced game hen with clementines, artichokes, and olives

Bon Appétit |  January 2004 

Serve with: Orzo tossed with fresh oregano and green onions, and buttered carrots.

Servings: Makes 2 servings; can be doubled.

ingredients:

1 Cornish game hen (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved
2 teaspoons Greek spice blend
2 small clementines
1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts
1/4 cup pitted assorted Mediterranean olives
1/4 cup dry white wine

preparation:

Preheat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle game hen with salt and pepper. Using fingers, loosen skin and rub spice blend between meat and skin.

Slice unpeeled clementines crosswise. Arrange clementines, artichoke hearts with juices from jar, and olives in single layer in 13x9-inch metal baking pan. Place hen atop clementine mixture.

Roast hen until golden and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Brush with pan juices. Transfer 1 hen half to each of 2 plates. Place baking pan atop burner over medium-high heat. Spoon off excess fat. Add wine to clementine mixture in baking pan. Cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Spoon sauce over hen halves. Spoon clementine mixture alongside and serve.

Market tip: Greek spice blend — a combination of dried onion, garlic, oregano, and mint — can be found in the spice aisle at many supermarkets.

eggplant crisps with skordalia and oven-dried tomatoes

Bon Appétit |  September 2003 - chef John Harris

ingredients:

Oven-Dried Tomatoes
6 plum tomatoes, cored, halved lengthwise, seeded
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

Skordalia
1 head of garlic
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

(skordalia [skor-dahl-YAH] A Greek sauce or dip made with pureed baked potatoes, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, parsley and sometimes bread crumbs or ground nuts. Skordalia is served with various dishes including grilled meats, poultry and fish, soups and as a dip for raw vegetables and/or bread.)

1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
6 tablespoons whipping cream
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted, cooled, finely ground
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced

Eggplant
18 1/4-inch-thick round eggplant slices (cut from 1 large)
4 cups whole milk
6 large egg whites
2 cups dry breadcrumbs
4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1 cup oil-cured olives

preparation:

For tomatoes:
Preheat oven to 300°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Arrange tomatoes, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet; drizzle any remaining mixture from bowl over tomatoes. Bake 1 hour; turn tomatoes over and bake until slightly dried but still tender, about 1 hour longer. Peel skin off warm tomatoes. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate.)

For skordalia:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut top 1/2 inch off garlic head, exposing cloves. Place garlic in small ovenproof dish; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Cover tightly with foil and bake until cloves are soft, about 50 minutes. Cool. Squeeze garlic head from bottom to release garlic from skins.

Cook potatoes in medium saucepan of simmering salted water until tender when pierced with fork, about 12 minutes; drain. Bring cream and butter to simmer in large saucepan. Remove from heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes to cream mixture and mash. Mix roasted garlic, ground almonds, lemon juice, and minced fresh garlic into potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm before using.)

For eggplant:
Soak eggplant slices in milk in large bowl 1 hour. Drain; pat dry. Sprinkle eggplant lightly with salt. Whisk egg whites in medium bowl until frothy. Dredge eggplant in egg whites, then breadcrumbs, coating completely; place on baking sheet. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat to 350°F. Working in batches, add eggplant slices to skillet and fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Using slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place 1 tablespoon skordalia in center of each of 6 plates. Top skordalia with 1 eggplant slice, 1 tablespoon skordalia, 1 tablespoon sliced basil, 1 oven-dried tomato half, 1 eggplant slice, 1 tablespoon skordalia, 1 tablespoon basil, 1 oven-dried tomato half, and 1 more eggplant slice. Garnish with olives and serve.

orzo, feta, and tomato salad with marjoram vinaigrette

Bon Appétit |  June 2003

A nice side dish for grilled fish or lamb.
Servings: Makes 8 servings.

ingredients:

1 pound orzo
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
6 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
24 ounces cherry tomatoes, stemmed, halved

preparation:

Cook orzo in pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Rinse under cold water until cool. Drain well. Transfer to large bowl.

Whisk lemon juice, 5 teaspoons marjoram, mustard, and lemon peel in small bowl. Whisk in olive oil. Set aside 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Add remaining vinaigrette, cheese, onions, and olives to orzo; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand 2 hours to allow flavors to develop. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate salad and remaining vinaigrette separately.)

Toss tomatoes with reserved vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix tomatoes into orzo. Sprinkle orzo with remaining 1 teaspoon marjoram and serve.

lamb souvlaki sandwiches with greek salad and tsatsiki sauce

Gourmet |  April 2003 

If you prefer, you can pile the lamb and salad on top of a larger pocketless pita for an open-face sandwich and drizzle with sauce. Pocketless pitas are sold at specialty foods shops and many supermarkets.

Active time: 45 min Start to finish: 45 min

Servings: Makes 4 servings.

ingredients:

For tsatsiki sauce
1/2 seedless cucumber (usually plastic-wrapped), peeled, seeded, and chopped (1 cup)
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

For lamb sandwiches
4 (6-inch) pita pockets, halved crosswise
1 (1/4-inch-thick) bone-in lamb steak from leg (1 1/2 lb), trimmed of excess fat
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

For Greek salad
1/2 lb romaine, torn into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 seedless cucumber (usually plastic-wrapped), peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil

preparation:

Make tsatsiki sauce:
Purée cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a blender until almost smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in mint and chill, covered, until serving.

Make lamb sandwiches:
Preheat broiler.

Wrap pitas in foil and put in lower third of oven to warm while broiling lamb.

Put lamb on oiled rack of a broiler pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil lamb 5 to 6 inches from heat, turning over once, 12 to 14 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes, then thinly slice.

While lamb is standing, toss together salad ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Stuff warm pita pockets with salad and lamb, then drizzle filling with tsatsiki sauce.

My latest blog post.

Babs

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 pound of skinless chicken breasts
    * 2/3 cup of carrots, coarsely grated
    * 2/3 cup of zucchini, coarsely grated
    * 6 1/2 tablespoons of heavy cream
    * 2 tablespoons of olive oil
    * 2 tablespoons of ouzo
    * sea salt
    * freshly ground pepper

PREPARATION:

Cut the chicken into large square chunks.

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. When hot, add the chicken and sauté for 4 minutes. Add the carrots and zucchini and continue to sauté 3 minutes longer.
Add the ouzo, cream, salt, and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes more until the sauce melds.

Serve hot.

My latest blog post.

Babs

Although the oldest traditions of Greece call for lamb, goat, or pork at the holidays, all roasted meats and poultry are commonly served. This stuffed turkey (or capon) has become a favorite with modern-day Greek cooks.
INGREDIENTS:

* 8-9 pound turkey or capon (approximately) with giblets
    * 2/3 cup of olive oil
    * 1/3 pound of ground lamb (or ground beef)
    * 10-12 chestnuts, boiled, shelled, and cut into small chunks
    * 2 medium onions, chopped
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 1/4 cup of rosé or white wine
    * 2 tablespoons of ground pine nuts
    * 1/2 cup of boiled rice (white or brown)
    * 1 cup of water
    * 3 tablespoons of canned chopped tomatoes
    * salt
    * pepper

PREPARATION:

Clean the bird, drain, and sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and out. Wash the giblets carefully, drain, and chop into small chunks.

Preheat the oven to 450F (232C).

Sauté the onion in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until soft, not browned.
Add the chopped giblets and ground meat, and continue to stir until the meat is lightly browned. Add the salt, pepper, bay leaf, tomatoes, wine, and water and stir until mixed. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the pine nuts, boiled rice, and chestnuts and remove from heat.

(More Stuffing Recipes)

Stuff and tie the bird. Oil the outside using the remaining olive oil. Place in a roasting pan (lined with foil or not) or on a rack in the roasting pan, and cover. Reduce heat to 350F (175C) and cook for 3.5 hours (depending on the weight), basting every 45-60 minutes with pan juices. 20 minutes before cooking time is up, uncover and allow to brown. To test with a food thermometer, internal temperature between thigh and body should reach 190F (88C).

Greek cooks serve this with the stuffing inside; however, it can be spooned out into a serving bowl.

Serves 6-8

Note: For a bird this size, I prefer using a capon. It's juicier and cooks to tender perfection at this heat. I also do not use a rack in the pan, but that's a matter of preference.

My latest blog post.

Babs

Wild boar meat is generally lean and once soaked to remove the gamey flavor, is delicious - and can be very tender. I've made this dish several times, and each time, I'm surprised by how wonderful boar meat tastes in this variation of a traditional tomato-based sauce. This recipe is for any meaty part of the animal except the head, organs, and innards.

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 1/2 pounds of wild boar meat
    * 2 large onions, diced
    * 1 cup of dry red wine
    * 1 cup of olive oil
    * 1 tablesppon of salt
    * 1 teaspoon of pepper
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
    * 4-5 allspice berries
    * 2 tablespoons of tomatopaste
    * 2 cups of stock (from the first boil)

PREPARATION:

10 hours before cooking

Put the meat in a bucket or other large container that is at least five times larger than the piece of meat, and fill to the top with cold water. Over the course of the 10 hours, change the water 2 or 3 times, and in the last change, add 1-2 cups of vinegar to the water to remove any remaining gamey odor.

Cooking

Cut the meat into a few large pieces.
Put the meat in a large soup pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil, turn the heat down to simmer. Foam will start to gather on top of the water. Scoop off and discard the foam, continuing until the water is clear (10-15 minutes). Simmer for 30 minutes more, then remove from heat. Remove the meat from the pot and allow to drain. Pour off two cups of water from the pot and set aside; throw out the remaining water.

In a pressure cooker over medium heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent. Cut the meat into serving sized pieces and add to the pressure cooker, browning on all sides. Pour in the wine and stir. Add all remaining ingredients, including the two cups of stock from the first boil, stirring well. When all the ingredients are blended, close the pressure cooker and cook for 40-45 minutes.

Yield: Serves 6

Variations

1. Wild boar, like pork, can be paired with cabbage to great effect. If desired, after the meat has cooked for 30 minutes, add 1/2 shredded cabbage and resume cooking under pressure for 10-15 minutes more.
   2. To create a stew (stifado), after the meat has cooked for 30 minutes, add 10-12 small onions and resume cooking under pressure for 10-15 minutes more.

My latest blog post.

Babs

1    medium   onion, finely chopped
1/4    cup olive oil
1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained, chopped
1/2 lb feta cheese
6    ounces cottage cheese
3    eggs, beaten
1/4    cup breadcrumbs
1/2    lb phyllo pastry sheets
1/2    cup butter, melted

1. Saute onion in olive oil for 5 minutes.
   2. Add spinach. Simmer over a low flame, stirring occasionally until most of moisture is evaporated.
   3. Crumble Feta cheese into small pieces.
   4. Add cottage cheese and eggs; mix well.
   5. Toss bread crumbs into spinach mixture and add to cheese. Stir until blended.
   6. Carefully cut phyllo sheets into thirds. Refrigerate 2/3 until needed and cover remaining third with a slightly damp towel.
   7. Remove 1 sheet of phyllo pastry, fold in half lengthwise. Brush with melted butter.
   8. Place 1 tablespoon of spinach filling near the end.
   9. Fold over in triangle shape. Continue folding like a flag, keeping triangular shape. Lightly butter top.
  10. Continue with remaining pastry and filling.
  11. Bake in a 425 degrees oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

My latest blog post.

Babs

25 min 10 min prep

1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4   teaspoon dried oregano
1 lb cod, rinsed and dried
   spinach leaves
1/4 cup kalamata olives
   lemon wedges

1. Combine lemon juice, olive oil, and oregano in a small bowl.
   2. Place fish in 10-inch skillet and pour oil mixture over fish.
   3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes when pierced with a fork Meanwhile, line a plate with spinach leaves.
   4. Place fish on spinach and pour liquid over the fish.
   5. Garnish with olives and lemon wedges.

My latest blog post.

Babs

30 min 20 min prep

2    teaspoons olive oil
1    teaspoon garlic, minced
16    large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1    tablespoon dried tarragon or dried sweet basil leaves
1/4    cup dry white wine
16    small black Greek olives
1    cup fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
2    tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3    tablespoons feta cheese, freshly grated
1/4    cup scallions, chopped
1/8    teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

1. In heavy 8-inch saucepan, quickly saute garlic in oil over medium heat.
   2. Add shrimp and tarragon.
   3. Cook, covered, 4-5 minutes, tossing once.
   4. Add wine; cook, uncovered, a few seconds before adding olives, lemon juice, and tomatoes.
   5. Cook a few minutes more to soften tomatoes, and mix in cheese and pepper.
   6. Spoon onto 4 warmed ramekins. Sprinkle with scallionsand serve with brown rice or sourdough bread.

My latest blog post.

Sister_Mom

deveined? That takes the good stuff out.  :laughhard:

4 ramekins? Maybe..... maybe not. If I make that stuff I'm not sure I'd share. That looks soooooo delicious!! :drool:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Babs

yeah last two times i made it i didnt share either lol  :fork:

My latest blog post.

Babs

In Greek: σπανακοτυρόπιτα, pronounced (take a deep breath) spah-nah-ko-tee-ROH-pee-tah

This is a family favorite because it's quick, and easier to make than some other versions. The spinach needs to be cooked the day before, but once the pita gets started, it takes a few minutes to get it ready, and about 30 minutes to bake.

INGREDIENTS:

* For the spinach & herb mixture:
    * 4 pounds of fresh spinach, washed, trimmed, and chopped
    * 2/3 cup of olive oil
    * 1 large or 2 small spring onions, chopped
    * 1 bunch of fresh dill (optional), stems removed, chopped
    * 1/3 cup of water
    * ----------
    * For the pita:
    * cooked spinach and herb mixture (above) at room temperature
    * 1 egg
    * 2/3 pounds of firm feta cheese
    * 2 teaspoons of freshly ground pepper
    * 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of olive oil
    * 1 pound of phyllo sheets 14 x 18 inches
    * 2 tablespoons of water

PREPARATION:

Note: Contrary to most instructions (even my own), the phyllo can be taken out of the freezer to defrost 3 hours before using (leave package unopened while defrosting).

Day 1: Prepare the spinach and herbs

Over medium heat, sauté the onion (and fresh dill, if using) in olive oil in a large soup or stew pot until soft.
Add water and spinach and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Put in a colander to drain. When cooled, cover and continue to drain in the refrigerator overnight.

Day 2: Make the pita

Remove spinach from the refrigerator and keep in the colander over a bowl while allowing it to reach room temperature. As ingredients are added, it will continue to drain.

Preheat oven to 350F (175C).

Beat the egg with a fork and add to the spinach. Crumble the cheese and add to the spinach, and toss with one or two forks until evenly distributed.

Note: If the feta cheese is too soft to crumble by hand (if it starts to mush), put in a bowl and use the tines of a fork to make small pieces, then add to spinach.

Unroll the phyllo and count the sheets. Oil a pan measuring the same or slightly less than the phyllo sheets with 2 tablespoons of oil using a pastry brush. Lay half the phyllo in the pan, and fold in any overlap toward the center to fit the dough into the pan. Brush the top of the phyllo with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, covering it from side to side.

Pour the spinach mixture into the pan and use a fork to spread it out evenly over the dough. Lay the other half of the phyllo sheets on top of the spinach, and fold in the overlap so the sheets fit in the pan.

Note: To make a smooth top that hides the folds of the dough, keep one sheet out of the top layer, and place it on top of the other sheets. Trim the edges with a scissors to fit the pan (not done here).

With a sharp knife, cut into 20 pieces, cutting all the way through to the bottom. Use your hand to sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water evenly over the top. Work with small amounts of water to distribute evenly. Do not touch the dough with wet hands.

Bake at 340F (170C) for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.

Cut and serve.

My latest blog post.

Babs

Ingredients:

3 1/2 lbs. lamb shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
3 canned roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
4-6 sprigs parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup dry, full-bodied red wine
1/2 cup chicken stock

Instructions:

1 Combine the lamb, 3 of the garlic cloves, rosemary, and white wine in a medium bowl. Let marinate for 2-3 hours. Drain the meat, discard the marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Mince the remaining 3 garlic cloves and set aside.

2 Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan with lid, over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the meat on all sides, about 10 minutes per batch. Return all meat to the pot. Add onions, minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook, scraping browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in paprika, add roasted peppers, tomatoes, parsley, bay leaf, and red wine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until juices in pot reduce and thicken slightly, about 10-15 minutes.

3 Add chicken stock, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat is very tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Adjust seasonings.

Optional: garnish with fresh mint leaves (though I have no idea how "Basque" that is, it just tastes good.)

Serves 4 to 6.

My latest blog post.

SippinTea

:cry2: Stop it, stop it! Quit posting all these yummy sounding recipes! I _really_ like Greek food, and my schedule leaves me no time to cook right now.  :sadbounce:

*wanders off to find corner to sulk in*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Babs

In Greek: λαχανοντολμάδες, pronounced lah-hah-no-dol-MAH-thes

Also known as yaprakia (γιαπράκια, say: yah-PRAHK-yah)

Stuffed cabbage with rice are covered with a traditional egg and lemon (avgolemono) sauce. If you can find "lahano" type cabbage, it's the best. Try also with large Romaine lettuce leaves, or Chinese cabbage.

In Northern Greece (Kozani, Yannina areas), stuffed cabbage is a traditional holiday dish, never absent from the Christmas table.
INGREDIENTS:

* 2 pounds of ground beef (ground one time)
    * 2 whole eggs
    * 5 egg yolks
    * 7/8 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
    * sea salt
    * freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 tablespoon of cornflour (cornstarch)
    * 3/4 cups of short-grain rice (or risotto)
    * 3 stalks of fresh dill, snipped
    * 2 medium onions, minced
    * 7/8 cup of olive oil
    * 2 medium carrots, sliced in thick rounds
    * 2 stalks of celery (leaves only)
    * water or chicken stock
    * 2 cabbages (total of 10 pounds)

PREPARATION:

Mix the ground beef, two whole eggs, rice, dill, one of the onions, a little oil and water, and knead to mix thoroughly. Add more water or oil if needed. Form into 34-35 round pieces.

In a large soup pot, bring water and salt to a boil.
Remove the core of the cabbage, and stick a large fork into the center. Immerse the cabbage, leaving the fork in. When the outer leaves turn bright green, lift using the fork and remove softened leaves. Return to pot and repeat until all cabbage leaves have been removed.

Using the large outer leaves, place the meat mixture in the leaf and roll, using the same technique as for Rolling Grape Leaves.

Line the bottom of a lidded pot with the carrot slices, remaining onion, celery leaves, and the smaller cabbage leaves that were too small for rolling. Lay the stuffed cabbage rolls, fold side down, on top in closely packed layers (not too tight). Place a plate on top to hold them down when cooking. Add water or chicken stock to cover, and bring to a boil. When boil is reached, turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.

A few minutes before the cabbage is done, make the sauce: Whisk the egg yolks and a tablespoon of water. Stir in 1/2 cup of liquid from the pot, lemon juice, and cornflour, whisking until smooth. Remove cabbage from heat, remove the plate, and pour in the egg-lemon sauce. Shake pot gently to distribute.

Serve warm with a few spoonfuls of the sauce over the cabbage.

Yield: 34-35 cabbage rolls

(one good thing ST, at least the thread will still be here when you can find the time to cook again lol)

My latest blog post.

Babs

Pita breads make crispy crusts for these individual pizzas. Topped with feta and ricotta cheese as well as spinach, tomatoes and basil, the fast pizzas are a hit with everyone who tries them.

PREP TIME       15 Min
COOK TIME     15 Min
READY IN          30 Min
SERVINGS & SCALING

INGREDIENTS

* 4 (6 inch) pita breads
    * 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
    * 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    * 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    * 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
    * 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    * 3/4 teaspoon dried basil

DIRECTIONS

1. Place pita breads on a baking sheet. Combine the ricotta cheese and garlic powder; spread over pitas. Top with spinach, tomatoes, feta cheese and basil. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until bread is lightly browned.

My latest blog post.

Babs

Easy Handmade Homemade Bread: Psomi Spitiko

In Greek: ψωμί σπιτικό, pronounced psoh-MEE spee-tee-KOH

This is an easy and relatively quick recipe for a homemade white yeast bread without a bread machine. Because it's so easy, I recommend making it entirely by hand, but if you want, use your pastry hooks to get the dough started, and finish off by hand.

This yeast bread recipe is quicker than most, and easy to make. Bread flour is best, but all-purpose flour produces a nice result as well (it's what was used to make the loaves in the photo). A great recipe for last-minute homemade bread.

INGREDIENTS:

3 3/4 cups of bread (or all-purpose) flour
1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water
1 packet (1/4 oz) of dry yeast
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
----------
OPTIONAL

water for brushing
sesame seeds

PREPARATION:

Dissolve yeast in the warm water.

In a mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, salt, oil, and yeast with water, and mix until thoroughly blended. Cover tightly and let sit for 30 minutes.

Mixing bowl: Mixing with pastry hooks, slowly add 2 cups of flour and knead until smooth.

The dough will be very sticky and just needs enough additional flour so it can be handled to shape into loaves.

Sprinkle a work surface with 1/4 cup of flour and turn out the dough, kneading briefly by hand, pulling in the flour, until it doesn't stick to hands.

By hand: Add 1 1/2 cups of flour to the yeast mixture and combine to form a cohesive dough. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead in as much of the remaining flour as needed until the dough is smooth and doesn't stick to hands.

Shape into two (or more) loaves, place on a nonstick cookie sheet, and place on the middle rack in a cold oven for 15 minutes.

Turn on oven to 425°F (220°C) and bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes or until golden. (If making one large loaf, cook 5 minutes longer.)

Cool on a rack.

Yield: approximately two 1-pound loaves

Notes:

The loaves will rise while in the cold oven, and will rise further when baking, so allow adequate space between.
To create a more crusty top, just before baking score the loaves 2-3 times diagonally across the top.
Optionally, just before baking, brush the top of the loaves with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds before placing in cold oven.

============================================================

Tyropsomo: Feta Cheese Bread

In Greek: τυρόψωμο, pronounced teer-ROHP-so-mo

This is an easy bread to make, and easy to eat as well!

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of warm water
1 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup of olive oil

PREPARATION:

Put the warm water in a medium bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the water and stir. When it starts to bubble, add the flour and start to stir with a wooden spoon (or by hand). Add the olive oil slowly until the dough is pliable and smooth.

Work in the feta cheese, kneading until evenly distributed throughout the dough. Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Place the dough on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and flatten with the palms of the hand. The dough shouldn't be any higher than about 1 1/4 inches. Score the top lightly in squares or diamond shapes. Cover with a towel and allow the dough to rise for one hour.

Preheat the oven to 340F (170C).

Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. It should be done on the bottom and nicely browned on top.

=====================================================

Tsoureki Paschalino: Greek Easter Bread
In Greek: τσουρέκι πασχαλινό, pronounced tsoo-REH-kee pahs-khah-lee-NO

There may be as many recipes for tsoureki as there are cooks. This delicious sweet dessert bread can include a light citrus flavor, can be topped with nuts, and can include the traditional red egg cooked with the bread. In addition to serving tsoureki with the Easter meal, try it with breakfast or a cup of coffee or tea (without the red egg).

INGREDIENTS:
12 cups of flour
3 tablespoons of active dry yeast
1 cup of melted butter
1 cup + 1 tablespoon of sugar
6 eggs
1/2 tablespoon of mahlab (or crushed aniseed, or vanilla extract)
2-3 pieces of mastic, crushed with 1/4 teaspoon of sugar (or grated peel of 1 orange)
3/4 cup of lukewarm milk
3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
1 beaten egg
sesame seeds or blanched sliced almonds (optional)
dyed red eggs (optional)

PREPARATION:
Dissolve the yeast in lukewarm milk. Add a few spoonfuls of flour to make a paste. Cover and set aside in a warm place to rise.

In a bowl, combine flour and salt, and add melted butter.

Boil mahlab** (mahlepi) in a little water, strain, and add the liquid to the flour. (Alternatively, add 1 teaspoon of mahlepi flavoring.) Add the eggs, mastic, sugar, and the risen yeast mixture. On a floured surface, knead the mixture well until it becomes a malleable dough, about 15-20 minutes (or 10 minutes with a mixer). Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (1 1/2 - 2 hours).
Preheat oven to 350F (175C).

Punch down the dough and create shapes:

Braids: Shape into 12 or 15 ropes, about 15 inches long. Braid sets of 3 ropes to form loaves. Tuck one or more red eggs into the braids (optional).

Twists: Shape into ropes 20-24 inches long. From the middle of the rope, twist the rope gently. Tuck an egg into the top of the twist.

Other shapes: They can also be shaped into round loaves, rings, or shapes of your choice.
Place the loaves on greased cookie sheets or baking pans, cover, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. Brush with beaten egg.

(Optional) Sprinkle with sugar, sesame seeds, or blanched almond slices.

Bake at 350F (175C) for 30 minutes or under golden brown. (Tap on the bottom; they should sound hollow.) Cool on racks.

Yield: 6 two-pound loaves

**Mahlab Greek name and pronunciation: Mahlepi, μαχλέπι, pronounced mah-LEH-pee
At the market: In the U.S., mahlab kernels or powder may be available in larger markets, or in specialty groceries catering to Mediterranean and/or Middle Eastern cuisines. Mahlab may also be marketed as "St. Lucie Cherry Kernels," or "ground cherry stones."

Physical characteristics: Mahlab kernels are 5 to 7 mm long (1/4-inch or less), light tan or beige, similar in shape to a small peanut. They have a rose-scented fragrance and a bitter, almond-like taste.
Like other varieties of cherry, the mahlep tree has a very pleasing and aromatic fragrance in spring when the tree's flowers are in bloom.

=============================================================

Krouasan me Feta: Feta Croissants
In Greek: κρουασάν με φέτα, pronounced croo-ah-SAHN meh FEH-tah

These delightful croissants are not sweet, and make a wonderful addition to the breakfast, brunch, buffet, or cocktail table. Use commercial croissant dough, or make your own for a light, delicious taste.

INGREDIENTS:
5 packages of croissant dough (8 croissants each) or
----------
For the croissant dough:
2/3 teaspoon of dry baker's yeast
2/3 cup of canned evaporated milk
2/3 cups of water
1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 egg, beaten
4 cups of bread flour (approximately)
----------
For the filling:
2/3 pound of feta cheese, mashed with a fork
----------
For the glaze:
1 egg, beaten
PREPARATION:
If using packaged croissant dough, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and skip to step 2.

Step 1: Make the Dough

Combine condensed milk and water in a bowl. Add sugar, yeast, salt, and oil and stir with a wooden spoon or hands until yeast dissolves.

Stir in beaten egg, and add 4 cups of flour. Knead in the bowl with hands, adding flour if needed, until the dough is smooth and does not stick to hands (about 4 minutes). This is a fairly firm dough, however it will start to rise quickly.

On a floured work surface, knead the dough to form into a long loaf shape. Cut into 5 equal parts. Roll each piece of dough into a 12-inch diameter circle, using flour to keep the rolling pin from sticking. Cut the circles in quarters, and cut the quarters in half to make 8 triangles.

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).

Step 2: Add filling

Take a teaspoon-size piece of the mashed feta with fingers and squeeze to compress. Place 1/2 inch in from the wide end of the croissant triangle. Roll the dough toward the narrow end over the cheese and pinch outer edges. (This will prevent the cheese from oozing out during baking.) Continue to roll to the end and place on an oiled or nonstick cookie sheet, with the end of the dough tucked under.

Brush the tops of the croissants with beaten egg and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 15-20 minutes until nicely browned. If the tops darken too quickly, cover with foil.

Yield: 40 small croissants

Notes:

To increase the recipe, increase all ingredients equally.

To make larger croissants, divide the dough into fewer pieces, roll out to larger circles (about 1/16th of an inch thick) and increase amount of filling per croissant.

Alternative fillings: Try these croissants with your favorite filling. Some of my favorites are chocolate (Nutella type), preserves and jams, and other cheeses.

My latest blog post.

Ashlee

Babs

This is a wonderful party appetizer, also nice to just snack on and almost guilt free. I love it with pita bread or with carrot and celery sticks

10 min 10 min prep
2 Cups

1 (16    ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
2    cloves garlic
2-3    tablespoons lemon juice
1/2    teaspoon ground cumin
1/2    teaspoon sesame oil
1/3    teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1    tablespoon plain nonfat yogurt
1/4    teaspoon salt

1. Add all ingredients together in food processor.
   2. Process until smooth.
   3. Serve as a dip for vegetables or as a filling for gyros.
   4. For gyros, toppings may include lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, radishes, parsley, olives or feta cheese.

My latest blog post.

Babs

1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans) (see note)
1 cup tahini
1/2 cup lemon juice, or to taste
2 cloves garlic, or to taste
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
2 tablespoons pine nuts
Dash of paprika or sumac
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
Raw vegetables
Pita bread

Put raw chickpeas in bowl with cold water to cover and soak overnight.

Drain and rinse chickpeas, then place them in heavy pot with enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil, then simmer, partially covered, about 1 hour, or until chickpeas are soft and skin begins to separate. Add more water as needed.

Drain cooked chickpeas, reserving about 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid. (If using canned chickpeas, drain and use 1 1/2 cups water.) Set aside 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas for garnish.

In food processor fitted with steel blade, process remaining chickpeas with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper to taste, cumin and at least 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid or water. If hummus is too thick, add more reserved cooking liquid or water until you have a paste-like consistency.

Heat skillet and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread pine nuts in pan and stir-fry, browning on all sides.

To serve, transfer hummus to large, flat plate, and with back of a spoon make a slight depression in center. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil on top and sprinkle reserved chickpeas, pine nuts, paprika or sumac and parsley or cilantro over surface. Serve with cut-up raw vegetables and warm pita cut into wedges. Makes about 4 cups.

Note: One can (15 ounces) drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans) can be substituted for dried. You can also add cayenne pepper to the hummus. Sometimes leftover hummus tends to thicken. If so, add some water to make it the right consistency.

My latest blog post.

Ashlee

A friend of mine recently introduced me to a greek restaurant, and I loved it!  The food was delicious, I stayed full all day, and I even got to break a plate.  lol

Babs

*  2 cups cooked or canned black turtle beans or black beans
    * 2 tbsp liquid from the beans
    * 2 tbsp lemon juice
    * 1 tbsp tamari sauce
    * 2 clove garlic, chopped
    * 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    * pinch cayenne pepper
    * 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Combine beans, liquid, lemon juice, tamari, garlic, cumin and cayenne in a bowl of food processor, or blender, and puree until smooth.
Add parsley and blend for 5 seconds.

My latest blog post.