News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Pope resigns

Started by Lynx, February 11, 2013, 06:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

The pope announced he is resigning.  The RCC will have to elect a new one.
http://news.yahoo.com/pope-resigns-saying-no-longer-strength-fulfill-ministry-112923467.html

What does this have to do with us?  It will strongly affect the political and spiritual climate in which we operate.  I believe we should keep an eye on these events.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Heather

Even the Pope wants to quit on Mondays  :cool:
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Lynx

Yeah, Mondays stink universally.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Melody

seen this on FB:

"For Lent, the Pope is giving up ______. Oh, no blank to fill in. He's just giving up period."

Lynx

I was thinking more about what the new pope will do.  The current, outgoing pope is commonly known as "God's rottweiler," because he is very adamant about the church's stand on homosexuality and abortion.  I can easily imagine the new pope being more um... "understanding" of gays and abortion. 

And if the RCC begins allowing it, what will the world think of those fanatical churches that still claim these things are wrong?
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

RCC has a prophesy from waaaay back when that says this pope will be evil. 

Lynx

Yeah, some prophet Malachy.  I heard about it, but never read up on it. 
"Do you sing at church?"

MelodyB

I would not be the least bit surprised if this new Pope will be well liked, and have so much power that in the end he will turn out to be none other than the Antichrist.

I've always believed that the Antichrist will be the Pope.

This is just perfect timing. Perfect.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Scott

Quote from: MelodyB on February 13, 2013, 09:20:37 PM
I would not be the least bit surprised if this new Pope will be well liked, and have so much power that in the end he will turn out to be none other than the Antichrist.

I've always believed that the Antichrist will be the Pope.

This is just perfect timing. Perfect.

I don't believe that the pope will be the Anti Christ

QuoteDaniel 11:37-38
King James Version (KJV)
37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.

The Pope is a religious person and the Anti Christ will be athiestic.

Some scholars say..

Some Bible scholars believe that the phrase "desire of women" means that Antichrist, the world's last and most terrible tyrant, will be homosexual. But it is more likely that this man will be so arrogant and self-absorbed that nothing and no one can deter him from loving himself above all else. He will, much like Adolf Hitler, considering himself far too important to give much regard to women especially to one woman.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Melody

I suspect the pope to be more along the lines of potentially be the false prophet, if anything at all.  I still think there would have to be a revival of RCism for that position to mean much.  Many "catholic" countries are pretty apostate/agnostic now.

Scott

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 14, 2013, 02:23:20 PM
I suspect the pope to be more along the lines of potentially be the false prophet, if anything at all.  I still think there would have to be a revival of RCism for that position to mean much.  Many "catholic" countries are pretty apostate/agnostic now.

I do not believe that the Pope will be either. I used to believe that he was the so called false prophet for most of my life. But in recent years I changed my mind on that.

Rev 13 (NKJV)
1 Then I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name. 
2  Now the beast which I saw was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. The dragon gave him his power, his throne, and great authority.
3  And I saw one of his heads as if it had been mortally wounded, and his deadly wound was healed. And all the world marveled and followed the beast.
4  So they worshiped the dragon who gave authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, "Who is like the beast? Who is able to make war with him?
5 And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months.
6 Then he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, His tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven.
7 It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation.
8 All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

When the beast shows up, the world has been devastated by death and destruction. Over 50% of the worlds population has been decimated in the last 3 and half years; people are hurting, in pain, and the world is in rubble, flames and despair.

I believe that this first beast is a governmental (atheistic) coalition and the 2nd beast will be the charismatic leader. (Lamb and Dragon, the devil in sheep's clothing)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Raven180

According to St. Malachy's prophecy, the penultimate pope will be signaled by the phrase "glory of the olive". This is attributed to the last pope, Benedict.

Following the "glory of the olive", the next pope is to be associated with the name "Peter the Roman". The following is said of this pope:

QuoteIn the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit...Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations, and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people.

If you google prophecy of the popes or St. Malachy prophecy, you can find all sorts of information, including critiques and/or refutations.
Luke 12:24,

24. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them...

Scott

I don't put any stock in St. Malachy's prophecy.  It has been proven by biblical scholars of all religions to be phony. Any prophecy that tries to predict the end of time is false since it is not biblical.

The Never Ending Battle

World Traveler

Many years ago I read an article in the Tulsa World (I think it was that paper). The article was an interview with a couple of adults that survived the holocaust as children because there parents hid them in a catholic church. The parents and children were Jewish, but the children adopted the habits and day to day living of the other catholic children at the school. The boy in particular learned very quickly everything about the catholic faith which caught the attention of the catholic leaders of the place as well as getting them excited. They told the boy of a prophecy that the last pope would actually be of Jewish heritage.
So, in some circles anyway, it is possible that many expect the last pope, just like the first pope, to be Jewish.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Raven180

I haven't personally researched the validity or lack thereof, regarding St. Malachy's prophecy. In my opinion, it holds no bearing on anyone's saving faith in the Son of God, or at least shouldn't.

The only comment I might make regarding if it's accurate or not is to say that it can easily be "fulfilled". Any incoming Pope, aware of the prophecy, could take a name or make some other association with one of the hints/markers, and there you have it, prophecy fulfilled--not by divine perogative; rather, just human intellect.

So, for me, a much more interesting piece of information--prophecy related--presents itself.

In the last section regarding Peter the Roman, it states:

Quote...the city of seven hills will be destroyed...

This prophecy was published in 1595AD, but St. Malachy (1094 - 11/02/1148AD) obviously lived and spoke/wrote the prophecy well before then.

This would indicate that before any Reformation, or really the existence of any other competitor in Christiandom existed, Rome was considered the city of seven hills by Catholics of some rank (St. Malachy was an Archbishop, and was, of course, canonized by Pope Clement III in 1199AD).

The City of Seven Hills from the prophecy is an obvious reference to Revelation 17:9,

QuoteAnd here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

This indicates to me that the generally accepted Catholic view of Revelation 17:9 is that Rome is meant ("...there will sit..." from the prophecy indicates his bishopric. Since it's about a Pope, his bishopric is obviously Rome). Why is this such a big deal? Because modern day Catholics strongly disagree, since Luther and his cohorts vilified Rome and the Pope so many centuries ago as anti-christ. This "prophecy" if not a real prophecy, at least helps to confirm the interpretation of a real prophecy, namely Revelation 17:9.

And that's a big deal, if you ask me.

Luke 12:24,

24. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them...

Scott

The alleged prophecy of St Malachy was written AFTER his death and NOT by his official biographer who knew him personally. It was written by people who DID NOT know him personally and was written at a time by people who were running for POPE and needed some type of leverage.

The bible warns us about False Prophets and False Prophecies.

The Never Ending Battle

Melody

Hey, that is good to know, Scott.  I don't even know where to begin with Catholic stuff research cause I have never had an interest.

Scott

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 28, 2013, 01:41:42 PM
Hey, that is good to know, Scott.  I don't even know where to begin with Catholic stuff research cause I have never had an interest.

I've been looking into it, we have a very confused new convert who watches too many whacky TV Evangelists. These catholic prophecies are weird and almost always had something to do with a papal battle or disagreement.

The Never Ending Battle

Kyle

Thanks for letting that information be known Scott. I hadn't known that about whole "last pope". I know more than a few Apostolics are pins and needles about this entire thing. Especially now that the white smoke has shown, I am just waiting for my facebook feed to blow up with people running rampent like they did with December 21st, and Obama being elected President again.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

Scott

I am not concerned about this...

My salvation is in Jesus Christ

The Never Ending Battle

World Traveler

I don't know about the prophecies. What caught my attention is that he is Jesuit. When I hear "Jesuit" two things come to mind: Catholic Military and Inquisition. I always associate the Inquisition with Jesuits. Not a great combination.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Kyle

From what I've seen so far, he already seems like a much better pope than the last one. I've never in my life heard of a pope who didn't A) Stand on the platform on the balcony to raise himself above the cardinals, or B) Asked the PEOPLE to pray for him before even thought about blessing them! They even reported after he left the balcony, instead of getting in the popemobile to leave, the man got back onto the bus with the cardinals. The man appears to have no problem upsetting "tradition" as the Catholic's see it and it gives me some hope he would somehow get the Acts 2:38 message revealed unto him and proclaim to all the Catholic's.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

Scott

Quote from: World Traveler on March 13, 2013, 11:08:00 PM
I don't know about the prophecies. What caught my attention is that he is Jesuit. When I hear "Jesuit" two things come to mind: Catholic Military and Inquisition. I always associate the Inquisition with Jesuits. Not a great combination.

Whenever I hear Military + Intelligence - I shudder!

I try not to worry about what happened in the 1400 and 1500's. Father Tomas is long dead. (Marquis d' Saad)

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

Quote from: Kyle on March 15, 2013, 04:35:34 PM
From what I've seen so far, he already seems like a much better pope than the last one. I've never in my life heard of a pope who didn't A) Stand on the platform on the balcony to raise himself above the cardinals, or B) Asked the PEOPLE to pray for him before even thought about blessing them! They even reported after he left the balcony, instead of getting in the popemobile to leave, the man got back onto the bus with the cardinals. The man appears to have no problem upsetting "tradition" as the Catholic's see it and it gives me some hope he would somehow get the Acts 2:38 message revealed unto him and proclaim to all the Catholic's.

He sneaked out of his room without his guards and walked to a church to pray.

My concerns is this: he reminds me of John Paul I. A humble priest who was open.  JPI actually used to have Pentecostal Ministers and Missionaries stay at his chalet.  The RC wasn't happy with his openness to non Catholics.  JPI was dead within months of his election.

The Never Ending Battle