News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Do You Believe In Aliens?

Started by bishopnl, June 22, 2009, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bishopnl

I watched a short documentary last night on the incident at Roswell, New Mexico.  I admit, my knowledge about UFO's is pretty limited...I like the X-Files, that's about it.

Just curious what other people thought. 

Do you believe in extraterrestrials?  If so, do you believe they've been in contact with Earth (through the government or whatever)? Do you believe the government has hidden this knowledge from people? 

The Air Force had pretty credible explanations for the events surrounding Roswell.  Then again, wouldn't they if they were trying to cover something up? 

Just curious...for the most part, I'm skeptical (about aliens), but I was just curious about what other people thought.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Chérie

i seriously thought that i saw a ufo one day. i had gone outside and all i saw was this huge black shadowy
zeppelin shaped object. i was like really getting scared- i asked my friend if she saw what i saw and she was like yeah that's the good year blimp. from where we were at i couldn't read the words. i don't think i've ever been more  relieved and felt so retarded all at the same time.

i think that the universe is too expansive for us the be the only ones out there. i don't believe that God would allow for contact to be made if He did in fact create other forms of life.

my dad takes a more spiritual view on the topic of aliens. he believes that they do exist - but that they are fallen angels (demons) that people come in contact with. 
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

Melody

I agree Chérie, I believe they are angels and demons.  I also believe that some people are crazy and delusioned...lol 

I don't think God would leave us hanging like that.  But I can see how people can be led to believe in false Gods and make idols unto them by having encounters with demons.

1Cr 10:20 But I [say], that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

I don't really see the purpose of not letting the public know if there are aliens.  The big picture would seem to render the earth vulnerable if not united.  Also, if the public knew I think it would inspire new things that the "very top secret scientists" don't think of....lol

I do like x-files though.

I heard someone say, I can't remember who, that they think there will be a portion of people that believe in aliens in the last days and attribute the rapture to it and worship what will really be demons.

SippinTea

I believe in aliens. I've lived with two of them. They used to be little brothers, but somewhere about age 11 or so, it became apparent they were really aliens who had been disguised as little boys. :updown:

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

MelodyB

Thats funny, the aliens in MY house were disguised as OLDER Brothers...I guess its just the male gender that is the common factor here.

;)
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

bishopnl

I can kind of see it both ways...I've often thought that if there WERE aliens, wouldn't God have revealed that in his Word?  On the other hand, why would we need to know?  And as Danni says, the universe is a pretty vast place....and would God have a reason for us to know that there was life outside of earth?

Plenty of people have posited that the government has a vested interest in keeping conspiracy theories about aliens and alien technology alive to hide the technology THEY have invented and are testing...that seems plenty plausible, especially because even the AF now says Roswell was a coverup to disguise secret military spying technology. 

~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

Niki

I've always believed they were possibly demons because the Bible calls Satan the Prince of the Power of the Air. Of course, now that I'm older, I wonder just what the Air is that the Bible is speaking of. Is it really the sky or atmosphere? Or is it something else? Any Bible scholars have any ideas? :)
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

Sis

I believe in aliens. And we have many illegal ones near us in the DC area.   :laughhard:

Ok, seriously. I always thought of them as demons, but I heard another perespective once. Some believe that the USA was conducting experiments with stelth-type vehicles of all kinds. 

Most of the stories came from the late 40's and 50's and that was about the time that the US was experimenting with space flight, etc.

I don't know, it's just something I heard once.

bishopnl

Wow...I didn't realize so many people held the more supernatural view.

In the case of people who claim to have seen the bodies of aliens or the tales of alien autopsies...those clearly don't fit into the realm of the supernatural, at least, if someone is able to autopsy a spirit I'm not aware of it.  Do you think those people are just delusional or what?

I'm more inclined to think that a lot of UFO sightings are a combination of unexplained natural phenomena, secret government projects, and people with wild imaginations.  But I allow for all possibilities. 

QuoteMost of the stories came from the late 40's and 50's and that was about the time that the US was experimenting with space flight, etc.

The air force claims that some people might have stumbled upon test dummies that were being tested in high altitude parachute tests, and thought they were aliens.  And of course, they claim the Roswell incident was a high altitude weather balloon that was equipped with spy cameras, that was being tested in order to spy on the Russians.

It's a plausible explanation.  But then again....I would expect the Air Force to have a credible explanation to give people even if they were aware of alien contact.

Sis

But the government has done a lot of things in secret that the public isn't aware of, so why not?   :laughhard:

mini

Aliens?  No.  UFO's?  Yes.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Sis

Quote from: minnesota68 on June 22, 2009, 08:25:59 PM
Aliens?  No.  UFO's?  Yes.

Having two kids, I'll bet you see a lot of UFOs!  :rofl:

Chérie

Quote from: bishopnl on June 22, 2009, 06:50:22 PM
Plenty of people have posited that the government has a vested interest in keeping conspiracy theories about aliens and alien technology alive to hide the technology THEY have invented and are testing...that seems plenty plausible, especially because even the AF now says Roswell was a coverup to disguise secret military spying technology. 

i do agree that the government is very capable and would have a motive for keeping information about aliens classified, and i wouldn't put it past it.

apparently the mexican government on the other hand was very open about alien sightings recently. lol and no i'm not talking about illegal immigrants.
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

Melody

Quote from: Niki on June 22, 2009, 07:05:07 PM
I've always believed they were possibly demons because the Bible calls Satan the Prince of the Power of the Air. Of course, now that I'm older, I wonder just what the Air is that the Bible is speaking of. Is it really the sky or atmosphere? Or is it something else? Any Bible scholars have any ideas? :)

excellent point!

Scott

I don't believe that there are aliens, if there where The bible would tell us.

However, I personally believe that most of the sightings are test craft from aviation manufacturers.  In one book about the B-1 and the Stealth Fighter - they talked about the tests that they flew in which many spottings were blown off as UFO hoaxes.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

titushome

Quote from: bishopnl on June 22, 2009, 12:31:10 PM
Do you believe in extraterrestrials? 

I believe it's possible God has created sentient beings on other planets.

If so, do you believe they've been in contact with Earth (through the government or whatever)?

No.

Do you believe the government has hidden this knowledge from people? 

N/A
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Newsman

I think it is only a matter of time until we discover some evidence of past molecular life, even within our own solar system.

As to sentient beings, I'm just not sure anymore.. a question I would have would be, would any alien that had intelligence have a soul? For that is what truly sets man apart from the rest of God's creation.

Now, dipping back for some humor in the musical vault, we go to the old Phil Collins recording of
:sing: It's no fun, being an illegal alien  :waving:

John  :waving:

Chérie

here is a video on youtube from fox news about ufo's. the footage was taken by the mexican airforce and released and confirmed by the mexican government. apparently they are calling for more disclosure on aliens and ufos from the american government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqPblNzwD3s&feature=related

Chseeads

I do not believe there are aliens. 

I think the Bible is too direct in its statements about the earth and man to leave room for there being other creatures in other places. 

bishopnl

Quote from: Chseeads on June 23, 2009, 12:37:42 PM
I do not believe there are aliens. 

Of course you would say that...it's in your best interest to keep your true nature hidden.  But we see through your disguise...

There's Klingons, Vulcans, and then there's your own alien race...Morons.   :waving: :smirk2:

mini

Every time i see this thread title I think of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBVOYkhNb1o
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Sis

Do you believe in magic  in a young girl's soul.......
Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul
Believe in the magic of rock and roll
Believe in the magic that can set you free
Ohh, talking 'bout magic
do you believe like I believe, do you believe like I believe.............

dnr1128

I believe in aliens.  Haven't you seen MIB?
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Sis

MIB?  Men in Black?  You saying that Will Smith is an alien?

dnr1128

I think so!  Seriously though, I believe in alien life.  Permit me to explain why. 

1)  The universe is so large as to nearly exceed human reasoning and understanding, and that's just the known universe.  Scientists tell us that there is a near absolute probability that there are other habitable planets, probably in our galaxy, and definitely in the universe.  So that begs the question:  why would God create such a large universe only to put intelligent life in one small, insignificant planet?  I don't believe that.

2)  Scripture was penned by humans to humans.  Jesus was born to a human mother, and was in human form.   He died as a human being to save human beings, as dictated by theology (the race needed a perfect specimen to give up its life for the others).  This blows holes in the theory that the NT plan of salvation would apply to non-humans as well as humans.  Let me be clear;  the plan of salvation would not apply to intelligent beings of extraterrestrial origin.  Obviously, this is speculation on my part, but I contend that, suppose there's a plant of little green men, Jesus would appear as a little green Man, and give them a Word different but completely in agreement with the one we have, and provide them a plan of salvation all their own that would not apply to us. 

In theory, we may not be the only humans in the universe;  there may be a plant of humans just like us, except Eve didn't eat the apple.  They'd all still be running around naked.  On second thought, that's not something I want to picture. 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.