News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Craigslist/Ebay Car Scam!?

Started by EricShane, May 21, 2009, 02:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricShane

my mom is getting ready to buy a car she found on Craigslist, Im pretty sure its a scam.. its too good to be true.. however, she deleted the Craigslist add and told mom it was on ebay (without providing a link to the vehicle on ebay) but she gave mom a link to a photobucket account with pictures of the vehicle.

a 30,000$ dollar vehicle for 2,800$ located out of state, and the woman is willing to pay shipping and will give mom 5 days, and if she has a problem with it the woman will pay to have it shipped back..

what do you guys think? There are Big Bold Letters on Craigslist under the 'cars and trucks link' that says [ OFFERS TO SHIP CARS ARE 100% FRAUDULENT ] but, I guess she doesn't believe that.. being how the "nice woman" who just got a Job in new Jersey and has to leave 4 days, wants to sell this car so bad.

I emailed the woman back, personally and asked her for the "eBay link" because, she hasn't sent the eBay link, I doubt there really is one.. but anyway.. opinions?
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Ashlee

Wow. I didn't get all that info before.  It's sounding to me like it is a scam now.  I dunno Eric.  But like I said, if it's real, I want one too!  Even in booger green!

EricShane

Quote from: Ashlee on May 21, 2009, 02:10:29 AM
Wow. I didn't get all that info before.  It's sounding to me like it is a scam now.  I dunno Eric.  But like I said, if it's real, I want one too!  Even in booger green!
mom said "stand in line"

I know! lol.. 'I' didnt have that info before..
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Ashlee

I dunno.  Wait for the reply from her before you do anything.  look at the ad real good on ebay once you see it. 

Sis

This has been passed around the net since I put it on. But it was an actual Dear Abby that I had cut out.

There was a Porche listed in the paper for $50. The guy who read it thought it must be a mistake, but it would even be a deal at $5000, so he went to check it out. He thought it looked great and he took it for a test drive. It drove like a dream, too. He told the woman who was selling it that he would take it, but he wanted to know if the ad in the paper was a mistake and how much did she REALLY want for it. She told him that it was no mistake and all she wanted was $50.  The guy gave her cash.

But he had to know why she was selling the car so cheap. She told him that her husband ran off with his secretary and called her and told her to sell the house and the car and send him the money. So that's what she did.

ROFL  I wonder how much the house went for?  That info wasn't in the letter. Why can't I trip on deals like that?  :laughhard:

EricShane

Quote from: Sis on May 21, 2009, 02:44:37 AM
This has been passed around the net since I put it on. But it was an actual Dear Abby that I had cut out.

There was a Porche listed in the paper for $50. The guy who read it thought it must be a mistake, but it would even be a deal at $5000, so he went to check it out. He thought it looked great and he took it for a test drive. It drove like a dream, too. He told the woman who was selling it that he would take it, but he wanted to know if the ad in the paper was a mistake and how much did she REALLY want for it. She told him that it was no mistake and all she wanted was $50.  The guy gave her cash.

But he had to know why she was selling the car so cheap. She told him that her husband ran off with his secretary and called her and told her to sell the house and the car and send him the money. So that's what she did.

ROFL  I wonder how much the house went for?  That info wasn't in the letter. Why can't I trip on deals like that?  :laughhard:
HAHA thats awesome!!! my brother said hes read this before somewhere.. lol

Amelia Bedelia

Its a scam - unfortunately craigslist is overrun with scammers especially in the auto section

I've bought and sold autos on craigslist - if its too good to be true, it is. 

I love craigslist but gotta be wary

check the other car sites that charge owners to place ads, you get a lot of dealers but there are also serious private owners on there as well - autotrader etc.

EricShane

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on May 21, 2009, 02:57:08 AM
Its a scam - unfortunately craigslist is overrun with scammers especially in the auto section

I've bought and sold autos on craigslist - if its too good to be true, it is. 

I love craigslist but gotta be wary

check the other car sites that charge owners to place ads, you get a lot of dealers but there are also serious private owners on there as well - autotrader etc.
thanks mary!  :grin:

World Traveler

I remember hearing a story when I was in High School (looooooooong before Craigslist or Ebay) about a little old lady who called in to a radio swap shop type show and said she had an older chevy to sell for $500. She also mentioned it had been sitting in a garage for over 10 years.
One guy decided to check up on it, expecting some old family car. The old lady opens the garage and sitting in the garage is a mint condition early model Corvette. The old lady had no idea about the car other than it was a Chevy and had belonged to her son  who had parked it there before going off to Vietnam where he was killed. The car had been sitting in the garage ever since.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

mini

Quote from: World Traveler on May 21, 2009, 09:51:51 AM
I remember hearing a story when I was in High School (looooooooong before Craigslist or Ebay) about a little old lady who called in to a radio swap shop type show and said she had an older chevy to sell for $500. She also mentioned it had been sitting in a garage for over 10 years.
One guy decided to check up on it, expecting some old family car. The old lady opens the garage and sitting in the garage is a mint condition early model Corvette. The old lady had no idea about the car other than it was a Chevy and had belonged to her son  who had parked it there before going off to Vietnam where he was killed. The car had been sitting in the garage ever since.

Thats a song now..."Riding with Private Malone"

David Ball, Riding With Private Malone Lyrics
Looking for David Ball tabs and chords? Browse alphabet (above).

Artist: Ball David
Song: Riding With Private Malone
Album: Amigo
   David Ball Sheet Music
David Ball CDs

Download RingtoneSend "Riding With Private Malone" Ringtone to Cell PhoneDownload Ringtone

I was just out of the service thumbing through the classifieds
When an ad that said:"Old Chevy" somehow caught my eye
The lady didn't know the year,or even if it ran
But I had that thousand dollars in my hand

It was way back in the corner of this old ramshackle barn
Thirty years of dust and dirt on that green army tarp
When I pulled the cover off,it took away my breath
What she called a Chevy was a sixty six Corvette

I felt a little guilty as I counted out the bills
But what a thrill I got when I sat behind the wheel
I opened up the glove box and that's when I found the note
The date was nineteen-sixty six and this is what it wrote:

He said,"My name is Private Andrew Malone"
"If you're reading this,then I didn't make it home"
"But for every dream that shattered,another one comes true"
"This car was once a dream of mine,now it belongs to you"
"And though you may take her and make her your own"
"You'll always be riding with Private Malone"

Eric, that is a total scam.  We have built in to us a desire to get a awesome deal.  But the old saying "if its to good to be true" applys.  I like jeeps alot, and watching craigslist I see this same type of scam come up.  A new Jeep Grand Cherokee, list is 30 grand, offered for sale for 5 grand.  And the post gets deleted.

I may be wrong, but i think its usually its when people flag a post that it gets deleted.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Sis

When a post is flagged, someone looks at it and determines whether or not it really IS worth deleting. If not, they will put the ad back.

EricShane

Quote from: minnesota68 on May 21, 2009, 11:43:36 AM

Eric, that is a total scam.  We have built in to us a desire to get a awesome deal.  But the old saying "if its to good to be true" applys.  I like jeeps alot, and watching craigslist I see this same type of scam come up.  A new Jeep Grand Cherokee, list is 30 grand, offered for sale for 5 grand.  And the post gets deleted.

I may be wrong, but i think its usually its when people flag a post that it gets deleted

Right..

well.. mom got an email back today, After I had personally emailed the lady asking for the link to the add on ebay.. she emailed mom saying "she took the add off ebay today.."

Go Figure  :smirk2: