Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

In the News: Illegal Immigration stupidity

Started by World Traveler, February 10, 2009, 12:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

From Fox News today:

Story 1:
A high-risk, 18-year-old sex offender in North Carolina may soon be a free man — because he is an illegal immigrant and the state has determined it cannot pay to put him in a treatment facility.

The Guatemalan man, identified only as "D.G," was convicted of raping his 5-year-old handicapped cousin when he was 15. Despite recommendations by criminal psychologists that he be sent to a sex-offender treatment program, he wound up in a youth detention center instead.

Story 2:
An Arizona man who has waged a 10-year campaign to stop a flood of illegal immigrants from crossing his property is being sued by 16 Mexican nationals — seeking $32 million in damages — who accuse him of conspiring to violate their civil rights when he stopped them at gunpoint on his ranch on the U.S.-Mexico border, the Washington Times reported Monday.

The rancher, Roger Barnett, 64, began rounding up illegal immigrants in 1998 and turning them over to the U.S. Border Patrol after they destroyed his property, killed his calves and broke into his home, the newspaper reported.

The lawsuit is based on a March 7, 2004, incident in a dry wash on the 22,000-acre ranch, when he approached a group of illegal immigrants while carrying a gun and accompanied by a large dog.

Attorneys for the immigrants — five women and 11 men who were trying to cross illegally into the United States — have accused Barnett of holding the group captive at gunpoint, threatening to turn his dog loose on them and saying he would shoot anyone who tried to escape.

His Cross Rail Ranch near Douglas, Ariz., is known by federal and county law enforcement

Story 3:
Three women believed a 28-year-old woman was having an affair with one of their boyfriends and came up with a plan to get rid of her by having her deported.

A Bellingham police spokesman, Lt. Steve Felmley, said two of the women shoved the victim in a car Friday and took her to a Border Patrol station.

A Border Patrol agent, Michael Bermudez, on Monday said they took no one into custody and called police to deal with the women. The police spokesman said they don't ask crime victims whether they are in the country legally, so the 28-year-old is free.

Meanwhile, the three women are being investigated for unlawful imprisonment.

Felmley said, "I don't think this plan is working out the way they thought it would."

There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Sis

The Purple Fuzzy

Here's the one about the rancher:  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490084,00.html

I read the 3rd article yesterday, but don't have the link.

Nevermind, I found it:  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490285,00.html

World Traveler

There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Tsalagi

Sis

It's just that when posting a story we ask that you put the addy of the source in.

Melody

Nathan was telling me last night he heard on the news of California going bankrupt because many people are moving out, leaving 1/4 of the population illegal immigrants who obviously don't pay taxes.    Craziness.  I have been sympathetic many a time to immigrants who just want to get over here and then DO work to get legal.  But those stories lessen the tolerance.  Seems to be the ideology of this era:  Allow so much bad so as not to leave out the few good.

Sis

Most of them have no intention of living here. They come here and send our dollars back home to their families. They're living pretty high on the hog in their country, while we support their wives and kids with public money for schools, medicade and welfare.

Newsman

I was in line at a place this week..two hispanic men were also there, wanting to wire money back to Mexico.

One paid about $15 to wire $24 to Mexico.. the other wanted to send $2,000, but apparently was going to do it in separate $1,000 increments, so he could pay a much lower fee than he would if he were to send it in one lump sum.

John  :waving:

Sis

Pay $15 to send 24?  i'd take the chance of sending it my mail if it was that small an amount.

Newsman

It didn't make a great deal of sense to me either, Lady Sis!

John  :waving: