News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Rant for the day

Started by dnr1128, January 21, 2009, 07:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnr1128

*deleted by the author*
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Melody

hey, break it up a bit please, I keep losing my place...lol

Brother Dad

Certainly ranting.  But true.  Racism is more against whites than anyone else.  And for the record Obama is not a black man.  They keep saying the first black President.  When in fact he is just as much white, whether he wants to admit or not, as he is black.  I also think the blacks are in for a real awakening, just as many others who have voted for him.  Time will tell.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Sis

From now on, if people post a solid block of text, I will edit it or delete it. I'm not messaging people anymore. Just gonna do it.

dnr1128

*deleted by the author*
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Tsalagi

According to quite a few places, an early President was a "black man", one of the early presidents of congress was a man classified as "black" because he was part.

http://www.dickgregory.com/dick/14_washington.html

Interesting...but whether it's true, I don't know.  Given the nature of the Interneck, I doubt it.

I DO know that the first perpetual or lifetime slave in the US was a black man who attempted to defraud the man who owned his contract (another black man) out of the rest of his term of service.

Slavery as it started here was 'indentured servitude' and most poor early settlers were - and while I wouldn't wish to be one, that was a step up from a debtor's prison...

History is weird...

dnr1128

Slavery is all throughout human history.  Virtually every race, or even group of people, at one point or another has been enslaved by other group.  So if past injustices is just cause for a current victim mentality, where do we stop?

I'm not really familiar with what all being an "indentured" servant entailed;  I know, as you imply, that it was only for a period of time, and was used as a way to come to this country and get a start, then after the term of service expired he could start his own life.  But I would also assume that the role was undertaken voluntarily, as opposed to involuntary slavery, as was the case with Africans being forcibly brought to this country. 

Tsalagi

QuoteBut I would also assume that the role was undertaken voluntarily, as opposed to involuntary slavery, as was the case with Africans being forcibly brought to this country.

Yes, it was.  One point I was trying to make is that the legal actions of a black man made possible the first true case of black slavery in the colonies as well as creating precedent.

That a black man was a free, wealthy, respected member of society at that time (and that it was not unusual) is more important to me (as an historical aside) than the rest of the story.

This proves to me at least that our society underwent a radical change in a relatively short period of time.