News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Barack Obama is the 44th president of the USA

Started by Tricia Lea, January 20, 2009, 07:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chérie

charlene, i was almost 20 weeks.

mellowyellow - i appreciate your views and of course it is a different situation, but only because i could afford it. i had the means to opt for a more "ethical procedure", but what about the mothers who cannot afford that luxury? which brings me back to my orignial statement - medicaid should pay for the termination of a nonviable pregnancy. 

religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

Sis

QuoteThe only reason I really argue it here, is there is a stigma that is associated with it especially among christian conservatives. As horrible as it is there are some cases where abortion is a necessary medical procedure to be used with sobriety and discretion. Roe vs Wade, abortion clinics, feminists, as well as lot of liberal lefties have hijacked a medical term and made it something ugly, that it wasn't supposed to be. The bottom line is abortion should never have been used as a form of birth control.

Actually you have that a bit backwards. I was around before Roe V Wade and they haven't "hijacked" a medical term. That term was only used when the baby self-aborted. Actually just before Rov V Wade there was a large amount of leftist and feminist propaganda via movies and such talking about back street abortion. That's actually the first time most housewives heard the term.  

Medical people didn't use it much at all. They used a myrid of other terms depending on exactly what the medical problems behind the intervention was. The word abortion was started to be used publically and flaunted by the liberals who wanted to use it as a political platform. The term was there but rarely used by anyone, medical or nonmedical people. As a matter of fact, most of the time, doctors only used the term D & C in reference to an interrupted pregnancy for valid medical reasons.

Most girls didn't go to back streets to get rid of a baby. They would try to self-induce by doing things like riding horses, falling, etc.  

Also the numbers of girls getting pregnant in the first place weren't nearly as high as they are now. Sex education without values taught in the schools have had a lot to do with the boom in kids having sex and getting pregnant. I graduated in a class of around 470-480 students. Only one girl graduated pregnant. None of my friends were sexually active. As a matter of fact, girls were shunned when we heard they WERE sexually active.

Sis

Quote from: Chérie on February 17, 2009, 09:36:48 PM

mellowyellow - i appreciate your views and of course it is a different situation, but only because i could afford it. i had the means to opt for a more "ethical procedure", but what about the mothers who cannot afford that luxury? which brings me back to my orignial statement - medicaid should pay for the termination of a nonviable pregnancy. 

Been on welfare. Medicade pays much more than any insurance. If the doctor deems it necessary, it will be done in the hospital and paid for. What you're suggesting is, medicade should pay for 99 vanity abortions so the one serious situation won't be left out. The one will be taken care of. There's absolutely NO reason that abortions should be free to those who want one.

dnr1128

Having labor induced and the baby dying during that process isn't what I could call an "abortion." 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Chérie

Quote from: Sis on February 17, 2009, 11:45:52 PM
Quote from: Chérie on February 17, 2009, 09:36:48 PM

Been on welfare. Medicade pays much more than any insurance. If the doctor deems it necessary, it will be done in the hospital and paid for. What you're suggesting is, medicaid should pay for 99 vanity abortions so the one serious situation won't be left out. The one will be taken care of. There's absolutely NO reason that abortions should be free to those who want one.

no that's not what i am suggesting  =) i believe medicaid should pay for 100% of the cost for aborting an unborn child with conditions that make their survival rate 0% chance.

and no, medicaid does not pay for it. i was on medicaid with Hannah, when i found i was pregnant i did not have health insurance. even though my doctor believed that carrying Hannah full term was risky for me, medicaid would not cover the cost of the procedure until i was at least 7 months pregnant. where is the logic in that? its not ok to end the life of baby at 3 months gestation, but it is ok to do so at 7 months?

needless to say i am still paying medical bills for my hosptial care.

Quote from: dnr1128 on February 17, 2009, 11:59:31 PM
Having labor induced and the baby dying during that process isn't what I could call an "abortion." 
the procedure is rare, i've been doing more research on it, and the percentage rates are low. its a form of d&e. sometimes the doctor puts your under, mine however did not. he also fully encouraged the idea of us seeing and holding our baby - which i was going to do no matter what. there are so many different methods, this one is the most humane. i'm guessing that only a doctor who takes his credentials seriously performs this type of operation. its not done in your average abortion clinics for sure.
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

dnr1128

The only criteria under which I would consider said procedure to be an abortion is if it is done with the expressed purpose and intent to cause the baby to die. 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Chérie

well thats the whole purpose of the procedure. they didn't know if my baby would be still born, or born alive, but we all knew what the outcome would be. and if you're inducing labor on a woman is just about to go into her second trimester, i can't imagine there being another outcome....

dnr1128

An abortion is taking action knowing that the action will cause the child to die when, had the actions not been taken, the child would have continued living. 

I cannot come up with any viable circumstances under which such actions are justified.  The cases where the decision is between the life of the child and the life of the mother constitute such a small percentage of abortions as to be completely irrelevant for this argument.  Even by the admission of the abortion advocates, such cases are "...hardly ever necessary..." (Dr. Alan Guttmacher, leader of Planned Parenthood, 1967).  In 1980, C. Everett Koop stated that in his thirty-six years of practicing pediatric surgery he had never seen even one instance where abortion was necessary to save the mother's life. 

If aborting a child based simply on the opinion that the child would not survive after birth is morally acceptable, where are the lines?  What are acceptable conditions, and what aren't? 

Fact is, abortion is not justified, either morally or medically.

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?