News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Twin hurricanes at sea in Sharing 516

Started by sunlight, August 23, 2020, 03:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelle

@Work.

We are installing the cats' "window unit" tonight since the heat index is going to be into the 100s tomorrow and the rest of the week. They are probably technically considered indoor/outdoor cats as far as temperatures go due to them being secluded into their "room" (aka enclosed front porch) during the day and when we sleep. They were very bad kittens and cannot be trusted. If I was able to close off the kitchen, I would just let them stay in the house all the time, but that kitchen is scary for me with them, hahaha. They are too nosy and adventurous. SO.. we are going to open the window that goes from our bedroom to their room and put the window fan in there so it will draw the a/c air into their room. Then just have to close their windows and it'll be like another room in the house. I wanted to do this last night but Jeremy had a dental procedure yesterday and then went to work for a full shift, so he was exhausted. I wish I could trust the kitties in the basement, but I'm a worry wart and I worry that they would somehow find an escape route or get into something that could harm them. We keep a window fan in their room already to push/pull the air through to create a breeze of sorts. I hurry home to make sure they get inside as soon as possible, and I stay up as late as possible (and function still) so they get as much time inside as possible. I've been checking the PetCube throughout the days to make sure their behavior doesn't change. Like I said, I'm a worry wart. :) ..... I apologize now for that essay.

Lynx

Quote from: Roscoe on July 26, 2021, 08:03:27 PMPreached last night, hitting myself squarely between the eyes.
Got the new mic system in and working. Thought I needed an electrical engineering  degree to set it up. Being a ham made it easier...I've a bit of experience strewing wires around.
Very pleased with it. My 91 year  old former minister who sits in the back stated she heard every word I said and she thinks we need to go back to the old mics. Surprised,I asked her if it was that bad. She stated "Nope, but it convicted me".  Apparently  if she can't hear she isn't convicted. Lol.

"Pastor your sermons are always insightful. Always well spoken and well thought out. I can always see myself in them. And I want you to knock it off!"
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

A friend gave us some fish he caught & hubby is frying it up for lunch along with some yellow squash that Chel brought us yesterday. :fork:

Roscoe

I spent yesterday doing a "long day"- 7am to 7 pm. Made for an eternity, but it'll be worth it to have Monday off. Took my lunch break late and dashed home and cooked steak for chey's birthday- she is now 15.
Also put a pot roast in the smoker while I was there and let it smoke. Smoked until 9 pm. Man, it was good.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

MsJennJenn

Bulk of my pharmacist do that several times a week Roscoe haha.
8-8 or 9-9p - 1-3 days a week depending on stores.

I got a promotion at work. Not sure if I shared that here.
Birthday was last week. It's hot hot hot here.

Bout all I got.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Nelle

Happy Belated Birthday, MJJ!

Cats are very much emjoying the a/c powered room climate. I wish I could do this all summer when it's warm, but I'm not sure the husband would agree. The fan is right behind where his pillow is hhahah.

@Work. Just gathered my lunch items and about to eat.

MsJennJenn

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

The Purple Fuzzy

Our internet is out and. When it's out we don't get Much cell signal.  It's a pain.

Roscoe

Yes,happy birfday jenn. So- wound up having to miss church Wednesday due to work issues. The only good side to it was that due to the overtime I was able to take off early today.
Bit the bullet and had Chey vaccinated- we prayed and worried over it,but Covid is climbing so fast here, I figured it's worth any risk. Too many kiddoes in hospitals here.
 Spent Thursday evening playing with the tractor spreading dirt and leveling it out. Learning curve for sure...
And I have initiated contact with the owner of a '98 Corvette. He wants the Ford. I may go look tomorrow at his 'vette and hopefully trade. It will make me very happy.:lol:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Wait, what is the Ford you are trading away?

If he has a 'vette, why would he want to trade it for a Ford? This must be some Ford you got...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Roscoe

:hi:
 Lynx the Ford was a semi-rare Harley Davidson edition quad cab with a supercharger. Very fast and cool. I'd traded with a friend a couple of weeks ago, but knew when I traded I really didn't want it to keep. My heart was in a Corvette.
I wound up going about an hour north to look at the vette. It was gorgeous, and exactly what I wanted- BUT, it didn't run. Owner said it needed an ignition switch and had disassembled half the dash. Myself and Cody looked at it, and determined it was in good enough condition it was likely to be a fairly minor issue. If we only knew....
The owner was willing to trade, so we went and got Cody's truck and trailer, drove back, and made the swap.
I knew it would take some doing to fix, but it was so clean I could not resist.
Went to church tonight and preached my heart out.
Got done, went to eat with Bro Wilson, and saw I had missed 8 phone calls. And there were some videos sent.
Long story short- I brought my vette home tonight. Its major problem? The problem that kept it from starting and caused the previous owner to take it apart? It had a dead battery.
I'm going tomorrow to buy the correct battery- the one on it is likely for a 6 cylinder, and at some point it might need an alternator. It has various things that need to be fixed- seats recovered, radio stinks- but it's stuff I'd have wanted to do anyway. I am overjoyed. God has given me the desires of my heart

Lynx

Bobby for some reason you remind me of this one guy who was never happy unless his car needed something else tinkered with. When it was running fine he would get bored with it and trade it off for some other car that needed work.

Occasionally he would find a vehicle that he liked so much he didn't want to trade it off, so he would leave something under the hood loose, so there was a chance it would break down on him anyway. But it never was the same as a car that genuinely needed work. He inevitably wound up tightening the loose thing down and trading it.
"Do you sing at church?"

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Roscoe on July 31, 2021, 03:24:37 AMYes,happy birfday jenn.

Bit the bullet and had Chey vaccinated- we prayed and worried over it,but Covid is climbing so fast here, I figured it's worth any risk. Too many kiddoes in hospitals here.

Also, I assume you have it since you're a cop?
I go back and forth on it. Sooooo many church people are anit-vax. Well and the south really haha.
I'm very anti flu shot though and I dunno what to do tbh. There's so much back and forth on the research behind it.
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Nelle

@Work. Need a nap.

I have my second Moderna shot on Saturday. My husband (USPS) hasn't gotten his yet, and I can agree with some of the reasonings. I would've appreciated longer research done on it, but COVID wasn't waiting on that to finish. I wanted to be able to see my parents and hopefully have less complications if I were to still become infected. I also got my flu shot back in November when I had a sinus infection (not to mention the COVID pandemic going on). I am not super pro-flu shot or anti-flu shot.. I just tend to go with what my doctor says. I'm normally not in there around flu shot time, so I don't get it then, haha.

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

Yeah, Jenn, I got mine back several months ago. Lou got hers too. I'd like to have had more research, and I'm usually the one that doesn't get ANY vaccine..but this mess scared me. It's taken too many people I love, and too many folks I love are still battling complications, even after "recovering". My wife included.
With the interactions I have daily with former prisoners, who have been in prison, a hotspot here, I felt I needed it. My church is probably 60-70% older folk, and they have been the most susceptible.
Knowing all that, I felt if I were going to have any hope at keeping the doors to the church open, I needed to step up and take the risk. One of my coworkers, who flatly refused, told me I'll either grow a tail or be able to respond to an ad in a few years that goes like.. "If you, or someone you know took the Covid Vaccine, you may be eligible for compensation. Contact Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, attorneys at law today!"
I told her that was my retirement plan, and if I grew a tail, folks who know me wouldn't blame the vaccine. :lol:
Pray for Kim, my sister. She is quarantined now, pretty sure she has it, even though she was vaccinated.
I took the vette for a nice run today. We've determined that the starter is going bad, which is why sometimes, it fires right off and sometimes it has to have a lovetap on the starter. I've picked up a new one to install.
And in my travels today, I stopped by a local performance shop. They offered all kinds of go fast goodies for my new toy. I hated being an adult and sanely responding no thank you for now, instead of dashing to empty every bank account and maxing credit cards.
I will not start on this car modifying anything more than the stereo until Sam is painted and the shop is in the dry!!

Lynx

Thoughts about the big bad vaccine:

I have noticed people on both sides of the issue, hardline pro and anti-vaccine alike, keep bringing up religion as their reason for making their choice. I have heard so much "I'm trusting God to take care of me, instead of defiling my temple with the government's poison" versus "it's our Christian duty to protect ourselves and those we care about by taking the vaccine" that my eyes automatically begin rolling every time somebody starts that stuff again.

Which side is correct, pro or anti-vaccine? I don't think either is correct.

See, I also know a lot of people, neither Hardline pro nor Hardline against - I'll call them "moderate" for convenience - who have done a lot of praying. Some of them wound up getting the vaccine, while others declined. Now, why did some get it and some not get it? Are some of them getting a clearer signal from God?

I think we will find out soon that the vaccine, like the virus itself, affects different people differently. Where for some the vaccine might be good, even essential, it might be a bad idea for others. Now I'm not going to preach this from the pulpit - or even preach it from various social media platforms - and I don't have any hard proof to back it up. But I have empirical evidence coming out my ears.

Granted, some people will believe what they want to believe. Some will "pray about it" and believe they have received the answer they already decided they wanted to get. But I know some of these people personally, and I trust them. And some of the people I trust have gotten the vaccine while others I trust equally have not gotten it.

Personally I do not plan to get the vaccine. However I also do not feel it poses a threat to me. If the powers that be make "are you vaccinated?" a bar for something I want to do badly enough, I will probably get the vaccine.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

Frankly all I want is for the whole thing to be over, so some people I know can start talking about something else for a change. There are whole groups of people I cannot talk to anymore, both pro and anti-vaccine, because they don't know how to have a conversation any more. They always bring up the vaccine topic, and they can NEVER just discuss it. They have been arguing so long they forgot how to talk without arguing.

For some reason both sides seem to have adopted the "if you're not for me, you're against me!" attitude. When the pro-vaccine crowd finds out I have not got the shots they start blasting me. When the anti-vaccine crowd finds out I'd get it if I had to, they start yelling.

I can't talk to either side these days. I get harangued by both. The only people I can talk to lately are the moderates.

So yeah, I can't wait for this to be over. I want some people I used to think I knew to get back to normal and stop yelling all the time.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

Masks, now, I love masks. I haven't been sick with so much as the common cold in more than a year and a half. I am solidly in the pro-mask camp. Yay masks!
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Made it through today. Got told no more late days/monday off for a bit. Due to Covid numbers we are back to doing visits by phone and no late hours.
Been a day. I'm whipped.

Lynx

How do phone visits work? With everybody having cell phones, and almost nobody having home phones, how do you verify they are at home? Do you require video chat, and they show you their house?
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Nelle

@Work.

Same story as Fuzzy pretty much. Tonight we're working on our float for the Peachfest parade. I'm hoping it COOLS down a ton so I'm not thinking mean thoughts while I'm working on it.. LOL.

Roscoe

Not alot here either.
Phone visits consist basically  of the offender checking in. Don't "fact check them" until they get in trouble.
And long story ahead:

Got a lift in my spirit  today.
When I preached Sunday I knew I had something  that God wanted said, but no idea who it was for.
As church began around 6 people from a local charismatic church came in. They worshipped  with us...I told God " Sure don't know who its for but I will preach it. " Felt too strong to do otherwise.  Preached  "Autopsy of a Backslider "
Today, I  get a parole plan. Recognized the lady the guy is paroling to as one that came Sunday.
She began to talk after we concluded  business.  She and several  others were there to try our church out because their pastor  was trying to take them in " A Baptist direction ".

She begins to talk a bit about Sunday. Told me " everything you said in your message  hit home to me and the folks with us. We cried because  you ministered directly  to our situation  and we knew you didn't have a clue"...
Then she informs me about monday
She'd began praying  because she felt guilty about leaving her church.
She said " I literally fell asleep  praying on my knees. I dreamed me and Patricia ( woman with her Sunday night) was at your church wearing  long dresses  and praying for others. I'm no dummy. God was telling  me what I already  knew...I need to go where the truth is and that's your church. So, I told God  I hate wearing  dresses  but if I have to I will, and me and Patricia went and bought ourselves  some dresses and skirts. I'll see you tonight  pastor "

Lord, I about had a breakdown in the office...

Roscoe

Last night they did indeed show up. We have been struggling  to stay in the 30s on Wednesday nights...last night, 49. With several  members out sick.
People praising God and participating instead of sitting  like a bump on a log.

Made it through work today. Vented to an old friend after the dmv gave me the news that my title would be "12 or 13 weeks out, and there's nothing  you can do about it".
Old friend is a state representative.
An hour after I vented, I got a call from the house of representative asking for the Vin number and my information.
An hour after I replied  I got a call from the DIRECTOR of Arkansas' Dmv.
He clarified my information , and told me he was personally  mailing  my title today, along with his personal  card and direct contact info.
Apparently  my representative  friend lost his stuff on them and they jumped through hoops.
Very thankful for my friend. I owe him dinner.
And we put a starter on the vette tonight.  It seems to be in good health now. I'm happy.