News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Twin hurricanes at sea in Sharing 516

Started by sunlight, August 23, 2020, 03:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelle

That's really neat. I've only ever been to a Quaker campground (without them there - the church we were helping rented their campground).

@Work. Eating a breakfast sandwich. Went to bed about half an hour early to TRY to stay awake at work today, haha. I had to fight off sleep yesterday during work. I was just zonked I guess.

Roscoe

Back at work. And it's raining.  It's not rained all summer but I am off this Thursday  and Friday for the swap meet and they are scheduled to put up my building Thursday. So of course it rains. This better NOT delay things 😤
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

It's just cloudy & humid here. And hot... about 88*.

Lynx

Quote from: Roscoe on September 21, 2021, 03:45:14 PMBack at work. And it's raining.  It's not rained all summer but I am off this Thursday  and Friday for the swap meet and they are scheduled to put up my building Thursday. So of course it rains. This better NOT delay things 😤
At first my brain ran these two events together, and I got the impression you must spend a lot of money at this swap meet if they put up a building specially for you.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Roscoe on September 14, 2021, 02:27:51 AMI think they all needed it, even though any sort of ministering was far from my mind when I clocked out of work.

I think sometimes this is when God uses you most. Cus then you aren't as focused on who you are as a "minister" but more so able to relate as just another saint on their level. Sometimes I think we get caught up in who/what/how can I minister when in reality just being yourself and showing people the reflection of Jesus in you is what is most powerful/impactful.

I often wonder how different my life would be now if I had someone as real as Roscoe leading me. Or Mini.
My religious trauma is heavy and my fear of falling back into what I left and just going thru the motions again is real.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Nelle

If your company that's delivering your building (or building it?) is anything like the one my husband worked for several years ago - if it's too muddy of an area they'll cancel, unless it's on a concrete pad or if it's just slightly raining.

MJJ - I feel ya. I got into a rut the first 9 years I've lived here. We have a different pastor now (through sad circumstances - don't get me wrong) and I feel like I'mm in the ER of Churches, haha. I'm so thankful that not everyone's ministry 'style' is the same, because I need who God has given us for this time.

Nelle

Also - I forgot to chime in on the weather, haha. It stormed here earlier, but we haven't had a good rain in our little area in a while, so we are thankful for it! I have heard rumors of it being in the 40s sometime soon this week. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for like coat weather yet tho.

Roscoe

Isaac, I feel like I spend enough between money and time they should put up a building for me. And a statue. :laughhard:
Nell, they'll have no excuse in regards to the ground- I've got a nice 31x25 foot slab, six inches thick that's been waiting on them since around May.

And Jenn- that comment teared me up. Mini is a MUCH better example to go with, though. He's real and DEEP, which is something people who casually know him probably don't realize.
  I'm probably a little too real. As in, I'd preach in overalls all the time if it wouldn't offend folk, and I have to work to hide my struggles so it doesn't get the church down. That's probably the hardest thing about any kind of leadership. If you have a "down day" or are struggling with something, it's REAL easy to telegraph it to the church and have everyone down. That's probably why I love this place so much. It's a safe vent place for me, where I can be transparent.
And I think it's human to get to a point where we are going through the motions, even without trauma. I'll be praying for ya.
And in regards to ministry styles- I struggled mightily, and still occasionally do, with that. I have friends that are a ball of fire when they preach. Loud, exuberant, the stereotypical spitting-on-the-back-wall Pentecostal preachers. Me, I'm more of a teacher style, and when God hits me, I'm usually not dancing and screaming, I'm sobbing and crying.
 It really got to me for a while. I'd hear these fireballs and wonder why I couldn't do that. Then I realized some of the most influential ministers in my life- are quiet by our standards, and more of a folksy teaching style.
 God gives different styles to suit the calling and the season. There's times when it needs to be tree top tall and shouting. And times when it needs to be a soaking gentle rain. I'll never be a conference speaker or evangelist in all likelihood.
But quietly teaching and loving my folks- I can do that. As long as I keep myself focused on one thing: less of me- and more of Him.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Backseat Radio

I'd much rather listen to a teaching style preacher than a loud fireball style preacher.  I like it when a sermon is thoughtfully laid out with discernable points and biblical proofs and even a power point outline to help you follow the train of thought.  Listened to some pastors/preachers that I never could make heads or tails of where they were trying to go with their sermon.  Felt like they just aimlessly rambled the whole time.

Lynx

There are definitely different styles of preaching for different objectives, and none can say one is better than the other. Our senior (retired) pastor's preaching was more for exhortation, while our (late) assistant pastor was more for edification. Both were needed.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

The Purple Fuzzy

My sister in-laws mom just died of the virus. She had Alzheimer's but I guess couldn't fight off the virus.

Roscoe

Man. Sorry to hear that Fuzz.
Been an eventful two days. First of all the building company did NOT put up my building Thursday. They called and postponed it until tomorrow (Saturday). I did NOT like this and they know it. They better be here in the morning.
Went to the mountain with my uncle for the fall car show. Enjoyed visiting with him. Bought one thing- a tiny replica of Sam's hood ornament fashioned into a key rack.
Now, I hope tomorrow I can share pics of a shop. I'm not holding my breath though. :mad:

The Purple Fuzzy

I hope they show up for you. I hate when folks don't keep their word.

Roscoe

Well, they are currently working away at putting up the shop. Pulled in about 20 minutes ago. Four hispanic guys that I suspect don't know 100 words of English between them..lol. We've managed to communicate a bit though. They seem happy, singing and laughing and they obviously know what they are doing. The company may be sucky but at least the workmen are nice...

Roscoe

And...Now. I am happy. Now I have to wire and insulate it. But man, is it nice. A twenty year dream....

Lynx

Wire and insulate? Real men use battery powered shop lights and tough it out in whatever temperatures the season brings.

Yeah, I'd wire and insulate it too.
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Shew. Did a bit of work today in the shop, installing lights. Bro Long, a mentor and friend called this morning and told me he might need to preach tonight.  (We have a standing acknowledgment- he's really been a rock for me and I trust him, when he says he has a word from God, I know it's true). So I put away the sermon God had given me Friday. Imagine my surprise when he stood tonight and with zero knowledge read MY title scripture and proceeded to preach the message God gave me.
Confirmation is a wonderful thing. Really uplifted me.
 Tomorrow- work. Bah. Then when I get home I can put up a few more lights. Got four 8' LED lights mounted already, Got six more to go. Gonna be like daylight in there. :-)

mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Nelle

"Merning."

@work. Not as tired as I have been on past Mondays thankfully. Worked on the church books last night to update our income/expenses reports, but encountered an issue so I have to figure out if I was just too tired to be handing numbers or if something is actually wrong in the math somewhere. It never seems to work right the first time haha.

I'm sorry to hear about that PF.

Roscoe

Urgh. Back at work.
And I'm being ornery.  My friend, during preaching,  enjoyed a moment of teasing me for my pretty shirt.( melon/peach colored dress shirt).
I've ordered a hideous thing off of Amazon for next Sunday just to mess with him. Yes, I AM going to wear it. 😆

Lynx

Psychotropic paisley. Maybe you should hand out sunglasses to the congregation, or preach from behind a tinted glass wall.

Can't wait to hear what the sermon will be about. If it's about vanity...
"Do you sing at church?"

Backseat Radio

Tis the most annoying day we put in at Walmart... Inventory day. I'm having to follow the inventory crew around unlocking and re locking cases. Here in a bit I'll have to check the printed reports double checking the inventory crew's work.

Nelle

LOL. Roscoe.. Our pastor wears a shirt similar to that. He's an interesting dresser from what I've heard. It's kinda fun when your preacher/pastor is a bit quirky hahaha.

I personally can't wear the paisley prints because they remind me of organisms from science classes hahaha. Weird I know.

@Work. Lunch time but I haven't made my sandwich yet.

Got the church books all updated and sent over to our 'head board member' to give to the bank. Thankfully it was super simple fixing things. I apparently was just too tired and couldn't see clearly haha.

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

I hate those prints and would normally  never wear one. But I can't let my friend get the upper hand in a smart alec contest. Lol
Hi all. Back at work.
Got the shop lights wired last night for the most part. Have one I need to rewire but I ran out of daylight. Intended to do it tonight but one of my dearest saints is having open heart surgery  tomorrow. It's a fairly risky surgery  due to her other health issues so I'm headed to Little  Rock tonight to pray with her and visit her since I have to work tomorrow.