News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Save a wet phone

Started by Sis, July 13, 2007, 02:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sis

I read this today in the August Ladies' Home Journal:

Save a Wet Cell Phone

Ever dropped your cell phone in a puddle, or worse, the toilet? If your cell takes an unexpected dunking, follow these steps to avoid a trip to the gadget graveyard.

Step 1: Turn off the phone and remove the battery. DO NOT turn it back on while it is still wet. The circuits may survive if the power is cut quickly.

Step 2: Dry it off as soon as possible to keep more from seeping into the phone.

Step 3: Put the phone and battery in a dry, warm spot with good ventilation... so the remaining water evaporates.

Step 4: Let the parts dry for two days and not one minute less! We know it'll be tough, but resist the urge to test your phone during this time. You may short-circuit the system if any wires are still damp.

Step 5: After two days, reattach the battery, turn it on and make a test call. With luck, your phone is back in working order.

Unfortunately, if your cell mixes with other liquids, these steps won't work -- a technician should clean it with distilled water and alcohol as soon as possible. Juice, coffee, soda or a grimy puddle will corrode the inside of your cell. The longer it dries, the more concentrated the substance will become.

By: Rachael Moser
Ladies' Home JournalAugust, 2007

Sister_Mom

Quote from: Sis on July 13, 2007, 02:06:21 AM

Unfortunately, if your cell mixes with other liquids, these steps won't work -- a technician should clean it with distilled water and alcohol as soon as possible. Juice, coffee, soda or a grimy puddle will corrode the inside of your cell. The longer it dries, the more concentrated the substance will become.

What about a full cycle through the washing machine?  :hypocrite:

And for Mel-Mel: What about a pot of beans?  :laughhard:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Tricia Lea

I have a wonderful idea

Call mel mel and ask her to to bring lysol and a lighter. A quick burn should do the trick

:laughhard:

Sister_Mom

God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

MelodyB

Yea!! Another phone thread!!

When I dropped my phone in the beans, I rinsed it with water, then took it apart and blow-dried it. I spent maybe 30 mins "Fixing" it, and it work after that... No problems....it just never rang again. It viberated all the time.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

The Purple Fuzzy

relevant_grace

I was in the shower room at my gym when I heard this lady shrieking for all she was worth...  She managed to flush her keys and her cell phone down the toilet.  I've yet to figure out how she managed...

Brother Dad

Quote from: relevant_grace on November 11, 2008, 04:16:01 PM
I was in the shower room at my gym when I heard this lady shrieking for all she was worth...  She managed to flush her keys and her cell phone down the toilet.  I've yet to figure out how she managed...
Get a new phone.  If I got that one back I don't think I would want to use it.lol
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Tricia Lea

relevant_grace

Sometimes, it's best to just bite the proverbial bullet.  I'd just have to wave toodleloo!

Brother Dad

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

relevant_grace

And the church said, "Amen!"

Sis

How about the keys? 

I remember posting a few months ago that I had flushed my bootie socks down. They fell in just as the water was going down, and down they went. It hasn't caused any problems YET.

The Purple Fuzzy

Just seems like keys and phone would be kinda heavy/bulky to go down that easily...

Here are work we have a hard time getting it to flush what it's SUPPOSED to flush, even if it's just TP.

Sis

That's true. And both items would have been quite bulky.

relevant_grace

Quote from: Sis on November 11, 2008, 07:31:28 PM
That's true. And both items would have been quite bulky.

As I said, I'm still trying to figure out how she managed...

Sis

When you figure it out, let me know, K?

Brother Dad

Quote from: Sis on November 11, 2008, 07:26:19 PM
How about the keys? 

I remember posting a few months ago that I had flushed my bootie socks down. They fell in just as the water was going down, and down they went. It hasn't caused any problems YET.
The keys can be washed, they aren't going up next to my face.

The Purple Fuzzy

Put the keys in a bucket of bleach water.

Sis

But call a plumber to dig them out.

Brother Dad

Oh yes be careful don't try to get the keys out yourself, might start something.

acts2believer

If your cell phone gets wet you can also take the battery out and stick the phone in a bag of dry rice and it will draw all the moisture out of your phone.