News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Non-existent or misquoted scriptures that bug me.

Started by taco_harvell, August 03, 2011, 05:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco_harvell

1:1Co 10:12  Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
1Co 10:13  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

I don't know how many times I have heard preacher to saint misquote this one and tell someone "the Bible says god want put more on you than you can bear." Well so far in my searching the Bible I find many instances where God allowed someone to face way more then they could bear in order for them to turn to Him.

This scripture talks about dealing with temptation, and God will always provide a way of escape to us when we are tempted the strongest. The problem is sometimes we don't want to look for that escape hatch.

If we were never to face more than we could bear, why did Jesus say:

Mat 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

2: Non-existent scripture "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

My Aunt use to love this one, she quoted it all the time. Always proceeded by "the Bible says".  Not long after I got saved i found a book titled "If the Devil Wrote a Bible", and this was one of the scriptures that was listed as one he would choose. I had to agree, because this statement has lead many to belief cleaning themselves up and living a "clean" life is enough to put themselves in right standing with God. no repentance, remission, or Holy Ghost needed. The truth is we could never "clean ourselves" up to be presented to our Savior and be in right standing with Him. As human beings we can't even clean our bodies and keep them clean enough to not need a bath within 24 hours, so how could we ever think we could clean our sinful lives up enough on our own to make it acceptable? The quote we should use should say "Godliness brings cleanliness."  With out Godliness we will never be clean with out repentance and remission of sin, being covered by the blood of Jesus we have no hope of even understanding what cleanliness is.

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Refrain

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,

For my pardon, this I see,
For my cleansing this my plea,

Refrain

Nothing can for sin atone,
Naught of good that I have done,

Refrain

This is all my hope and peace,
This is all my righteousness,

Refrain

Now by this I'll overcome—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
Now by this I'll reach my home—

Refrain

Glory! Glory! This I sing—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
All my praise for this I bring—

Refrain

Just some stuff on my brain tonight.

In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Melody

*Misquoted: Rom 8:28

All things work together for good...

and they stop right there.  LOL

...to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

*The ENTIRE idea of the "Romans Road" as if it leads to salvation instead of explaining in detail what happened at Acts 2:38.

*I'm often curious about the trumpet sounding... If we haven't heard the other ones, what says we're going to hear the "rapture" one?

*Non-existant: "Spare the rod, spoil the child."  It's from a poem.

What the Bible does say:

Pro 13:24 He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

Pro 22:15 Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Pro 29:15 The rod and rebuke give wisdom, But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.

Pro 23:14 You shall beat him with a rod, And deliver his soul from hell.

taco_harvell

Quote from: MellowYellow on August 03, 2011, 05:12:45 AM
Misquoted: Rom 8:28

All things work together for good...

and they stop right there.  LOL

...to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

The ENTIRE idea of the "Romans Road" as if it leads to salvation instead of explaining in detail what happened at Acts 2:38.

:clap2: :clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2:

Romans 8:28 is one of my favorite scriptures in my favorite chapter. It drives me crazy when people half quote it.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Melody

*Misquoted: 1Cr 13:8

...but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease...

again, they stop there.

1Cr 13:10   But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

it's written after Jesus came, died and rose, after the HG was poured out to Jews and Gentiles alike.  The only thing "perfect " yet to come is the return of Christ.

Melody

not sure if this one qualifies.

Misunderstood: Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

The rest of the picture:

Luk 12:57 Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?

Jhn 7:24  Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

1Cr 6:2-4  Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. 

1Cr 11:13   Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 

1Cr 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

Lynx

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they..."

To wait upon the Lord does NOT mean to sit down and wait for God to do everything.  It means to be actively waiting on the Lord, serving Him.  I have heard this verse taken out of context to advocate patience and usually to also justify inactivity. There are plenty of verses about patience and (at least around here) we christians always have something to do... God keeps us too busy to be bored. 

They who are up and doing God's work shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

RainbowJingles

If God won't "put more on us than we can bear," then what are THESE verses about?!!?

2 Corinthians 1

8For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life:

9But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead:

10Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

upcchris

Quite often people say this: John 15:7 ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. completely forgetting that it's: If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you,
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

Dew-Ax-238

I like when people say Cleansness is NEXT to Godlyness... still have not found that one yet! LOL
Isaiah 43:2    
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee: and through the rivers, when thou walkest through the shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shall not be burned: neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

SippinTea

"Money is the root of all evil"

Uhh... no, it's not.

The LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

Misunderstood:
"a man's gift will make a way for him"

Is NOT talking about a man's spiritual gift, and how the gift will "make way" for him in ministry settings. It's talking about bribery!

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

SippinTea

P.S. Nice topic, Taco.  :thumbsup2:
P.P.S. I thought of pretty much the same thing, Elona. *lol*

Lynx

Quote from: SippinTea on October 13, 2011, 01:36:38 PM

Misunderstood:
"a man's gift will make a way for him"

Is NOT talking about a man's spiritual gift, and how the gift will "make way" for him in ministry settings. It's talking about bribery!

I have heard that one in so many songs and sermons and it always irks me.  Context, context, CONTEXT people!  If all else fails get a bible dictionary, a commentary, maybe a study bible with translations in the center column and look the verse up before you use it. 

And so many people who are called to work sit on the pews, not doing what they could, because they are waiting for their gift to make a way for them the way they imagine the way will be made. :frustrated:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Scott

Here is one:

We hear about the "Death Angel" and the passover.  Look it up... there is NOT a death angel.  You will find that it was God who passed over, not an Angel.  We even sing it in the song

"When I
See the blood
When I
See the blood
When I
See the Blood

I will pass
I will pass
over you"

And then we preach the death angel
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

Shhhh!  Don't tell the "Touched by an Angel" staff that!  :nono:
"Do you sing at church?"

SippinTea

upcchris

...and the truth shall make ye free

it's not 'set' ye free

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Tina~Chris

angel

And surely knowledge hasn't ceased!  :great:

Quote from: MellowYellow on August 03, 2011, 05:26:16 AM
*Misquoted: 1Cr 13:8

...but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease...

again, they stop there.

1Cr 13:10   But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

it's written after Jesus came, died and rose, after the HG was poured out to Jews and Gentiles alike.  The only thing "perfect " yet to come is the return of Christ.
My hubby's nickname is shep and that would make me ladyshep. :)

Scott

Quoted: Perfect Love casteth out all fear because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.1 john 4:18

Actual quote

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Babs

Quote from: ladyshep on October 18, 2011, 08:58:58 PM
And surely knowledge hasn't ceased!

You must not encounter the same folks se.th and I do to make such a statement lol
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

BroTrey

Quote from: upcchris on October 17, 2011, 02:48:43 AM
...and the truth shall make ye free

it's not 'set' ye free
Actually that depends on which translation you read from... there are more translations that read as "set" instead of "make"
:hypocrite:
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Melody

What would be the difference in set vs. make?  All the ither scriptures we listed are because the misquote skews or limits the actual truth.

Babs

Quote from: MellowYellow on October 19, 2011, 02:11:16 PM
What would be the difference in set vs. make?  All the ither scriptures we listed are because the misquote skews or limits the actual truth.

Set instant, make a process.
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

upcchris

'make' - to me - always came across as whether you want it or not...once a person knows the truth - they can't keep living like they had.

'set' is simply opening the door

for some - the door to their prison is open, but they still don't leave

Tina~Chris

NewLife101

Be God's
NewLife101

NewLife101

I will work, but who will let me.  Actually says, "I will work and who shall let it."
Be God's
NewLife101