News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Why are you apostolic?

Started by yosemite, May 10, 2010, 07:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosemite

In a church service a preacher posed this question to the congregation in the message, "why are you Apostolic." he continued to explain his thoughts on what he seems to think is where a lot of young people are getting side tracked and are easily suaded to new concepts and falsehoods. he presented a thought that maybe study and home raising's could be the answer, not to mention the ever growing amount of distractions. he says that we may be getting alot like other denominations in that we just take anther's word for what we believe and don't study it out for ourselves. he also stated that we not only may not be raising our kids in routine bible study but are letting our duties to carry the gospel out to the people slip away. He really stressed home bible studies.

I kinda agree with him. What is your view? Why are you apostolic? I want to see the Church grow in full truth and harmony. Id like to see church meetings like the ones I saw as a kid where you expected fire and brimstone to rain down on you at any minute. People stayed for meeting till way over in the night. i also know the scriptures that tie me to the apostolic faith but find nuggets that confirm it daily. i want to see apostolics not only believe the full truth but know it and do it. I'm not asking to list the scripture you believe but tell of an action you do to show apostolic faith, or a conversation you had with another person of another faith that scripture flowed out of you like a river and shined true light to the other person. How instant are we in or out of season?
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Melody

lol  that's a lot of questions.

Quotei want to see apostolics not only believe the full truth but know it and do it.

This is the biggest reason I'm apostolic.  I have never met or heard or been to another church where there is straight Word preached, people agree, and DO it.  We all have flaws, are human but overall being apostolic is the highest standard of Christianity.  Call it apostolic, pentecostal and right now it = what it says, but if it should ever take on a denominal image, I will still hold to the truths I know and keep pressing forward!

I totally agree about Bible studies as a family, and that is why I think the Bible Quizzers have higher percentage of stickability, cause they got that Word in them.

yosemite

Quote from: MellowYellow on May 10, 2010, 08:56:31 PM
lol  that's a lot of questions.

Quotei want to see apostolics not only believe the full truth but know it and do it.

This is the biggest reason I'm apostolic.  I have never met or heard or been to another church where there is straight Word preached, people agree, and DO it.  We all have flaws, are human but overall being apostolic is the highest standard of Christianity.  Call it apostolic, pentecostal and right now it = what it says, but if it should ever take on a denominal image, I will still hold to the truths I know and keep pressing forward!

I totally agree about Bible studies as a family, and that is why I think the Bible Quizzers have higher percentage of stickability, cause they got that Word in them.
:thumbsup2:  right on. i dont want to be an apostolic cause i go to an apostolic church, but because i live and breath the truth Sunday thru saturday. I want to live what i know, and know that I am making a difference. I dont want to rely on what someone else said is true and not know it myself. you said it, "stickability" is a side affect of having the truth in you. knowing the fundamentals and knowing why you beleive them.
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

The Cold Water Kid

People seem to be divided on the answer to that question. Some say we choose God; others say God chooses us. Looking back on my life I have to say God chose me, but if He didn't and I came to Him on my own, then the credit goes to a wonderful couple who taught me Bible studies (and fed me some good food too, lol). Either way, I appreciate what they did for me and the friendship we still have.

In response to the youth and what's going on with them... I'm not sure more Bible study is always the answer. I heard a missionary say years ago that knowing the truth isn't enough to keep us; we have to love the truth. How do you teach love? Some love the apostolic way, some stay in it with the goal of changing it, and others forsake it. I heard Reverend Jeff Arnold preaching a few years ago. He mentioned Bible Quizzers. He said, "We've got champion Bible Quizzers with the morals of DOGS!" ... just something to think about, I could be wrong.

Raven180

There's lots of ways to answer this question. We could look at doctrine. We could look at experience.

But I think it boils down to one main thing: How much are we like Jesus.

John 17:3.

3. And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Looking at the phrase "whom thou hast sent", it might more accurately be translated (through a transliteration) "whom thou hast apostolisized".

Jesus is the Apostle and High Priest of our faith. Of my faith. We must believe of Him whom the Father has sent (John 6:29 and others). An apostle is one who is sent. Jesus is such. To be apostolic then, is to be like the one who was sent by the Father to be the Savior of the world. My love of Jesus, my level of Christ-likeness, my desire to know not only the power of His resurrection, but also to obtain the fellowship of His sufferings, makes me apostolic, i.e. of, pertaining, or belonging to an apostle. Jesus is the Apostle of whom I pertain and belong.
Luke 12:24,

24. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them...

yosemite

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on May 11, 2010, 05:08:00 AM
People seem to be divided on the answer to that question. Some say we choose God; others say God chooses us. Looking back on my life I have to say God chose me, but if He didn't and I came to Him on my own, then the credit goes to a wonderful couple who taught me Bible studies (and fed me some good food too, lol). Either way, I appreciate what they did for me and the friendship we still have.

Joh 6:44  No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on May 11, 2010, 05:08:00 AM
In response to the youth and what's going on with them... I'm not sure more Bible study is always the answer. I heard a missionary say years ago that knowing the truth isn't enough to keep us; we have to love the truth. How do you teach love? Some love the apostolic way, some stay in it with the goal of changing it, and others forsake it. I heard Reverend Jeff Arnold preaching a few years ago. He mentioned Bible Quizzers. He said, "We've got champion Bible Quizzers with the morals of DOGS!" ... just something to think about, I could be wrong.

thats why we are to be a light unto the world. we have hid the light so long that our kids cant find the love of the truth. IMO      some just choose to be hard headed any way. we choose for ourselves our own journey. Jesus said he knows our thoughts and our heart. i guess some will just not have the heart for it.

Scott

Why am I apostolic?  This is the only think I know and have ever known.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

yosemite

Quote from: Scott on May 11, 2010, 10:18:20 PM
Why am I apostolic?  This is the only think I know and have ever known.

wish i could say the same. i was raised baptist and it was rather mild. my grandmother was Pentecost and took me to church when i was about 9-10 and those people scared the heebee jeebees out of me. i must say that from that time on i just as well have been Pentecostal too because the baptist church wasn't the same since. i knew from that time on there was something missing in the denominal faith. I love the old saying the apostolics have, "it's not a denomination, it's an experience".

dnr1128

I'm apostolic because the principles that we hold to are what the first church believed.  Denomination doesn't matter, obedience to the Word is the only basis upon which we will be judged. 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Babs

* Just Plain Ole Barb Sits to listen in.
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

yosemite

boy hidy!! if ya want to know how cruel and mis- leading the world is, get on a christian site with trinitarians and letem know your apostolic. whewwww boooyyyyyyyyyy.

onli-one-jehovi

Quote from: Raven180 on May 11, 2010, 09:07:46 AM
There's lots of ways to answer this question. We could look at doctrine. We could look at experience.

But I think it boils down to one main thing: How much are we like Jesus.

John 17:3.

3. And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Looking at the phrase "whom thou hast sent", it might more accurately be translated (through a transliteration) "whom thou hast apostolisized".

Jesus is the Apostle and High Priest of our faith. Of my faith. We must believe of Him whom the Father has sent (John 6:29 and others). An apostle is one who is sent. Jesus is such. To be apostolic then, is to be like the one who was sent by the Father to be the Savior of the world. My love of Jesus, my level of Christ-likeness, my desire to know not only the power of His resurrection, but also to obtain the fellowship of His sufferings, makes me apostolic, i.e. of, pertaining, or belonging to an apostle. Jesus is the Apostle of whom I pertain and belong.

ditto
Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Young man, how is it that you do not?

yosemite

but what do ya do, to call yourself an apostolic. from the heart!!! day to day!! knock doors much? compell much? charity much?

Jas 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

onli-one-jehovi

Quote from: yosemite on May 26, 2010, 02:01:22 AM
but what do ya do, to call yourself an apostolic. from the heart!!! day to day!! knock doors much? compell much? charity much?

Jas 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

I crucify the old man. I pick up my cross and follow Jesus. I allow the Holy Ghost to lead me. I allow the Holy Ghost to teach me. I no longer follow blindly any man or organization. I search the Word to see what truly "thus sayeth the LORD". I search my heart daily to purge leaven. I let go of more "things" of this world daily. I seek first the kingdom of God.

Thru faith all these things are done that I might be conformed to the image of God's dear Son.

The list is too big to itemize.  :lol:

Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Young man, how is it that you do not?

BroTrey

I'm a Christian. Plain and simple. I have read the belief systems of many major religions and subgroups within. I've come to the conclusion that the Bible is right, so I follow, teach, and preach the same things I see Jesus and His Apostles teaching and preaching. If that warrants me the label of apostolic then so be it, then you have the answer as to why.

:-)
Shalom
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

yosemite

maybe i'm not relaying the question right. remember the movie "fire proof" when the woman ask her husband " is this what you resort to when no one else is around"?

when not in church meetings, what do ya do to secure the title of apostolic? do you ever go to the store away from ones you know, and people see the light without telling them? are people hushed from their cursing when you pass? when your out do ya compell others?

i have a neighbor who is determined to burn. every time i see him he tells everybody, "here comes that pentacostal, better hush all that cursing". he is a mess!! it is amazing to me that the light shines through, even when i am not particularly doing anything that lables me as an apostolic. the acounts of this hold to other times where i dont know anyone around. i dont go out of my way to announce it. i dont do anything out of the ordinary to attain such a title other than being nice(maybe). Ask some to come to church here and there.

I feel led to do more for and through Him, More healings, more miricles.

Melody

I trust the Word that if I'm persuing an always deeper relationship w/ God then I am making an impression, affecting people.  Even if I don't notice the signs or have people say anything.  But I think yes, we all have those humbling moments when folks do mention it.

People are still human and some notice and some are so dilusional they don't.   Some days I am walking in an anointing, and some days I'm making very clear that my kids are on their way to a whoopin as soon as we get to the car. ☺

I know what you mean Yosemite, you mean you want to be more available for God to do more healings and miracles through you.  I agree!   :biglaugh:

yosemite

nwlife

All I can say is because of what I see in the Word of God, is the reason I call myself a wesleyan now in regards to theology itself.
But i would dare to say, forgetting that, I rather be known as one who strives to be like Christ, regardless of how many times I fail each day.
Only through faith in the Grace of God through Jesus Christ am I saved. No other means and no other actions changes the predestination of my soul.

UPDATE:  I finally did find my wife.  Just waiting now to bring her to the USA!

Backseat Radio

The question I would have to answer is "Why am I not Apostolic"

I started out as an apostolic simply because that's what I was raised in and what I was taught growing up.    I no longer consider myself to be Apostolic because what the Apostolic faith teaches and practices doesn't match what I see in the New Testament.

Melody

Just to stir the pot...

There is a sect of Catholics that call themselves apostolic, even in the names of their churches.  "Apostolic Bible Church" was the 1st one I became aware of, they even are more on the conservative side.  We can't be more loyal to a label than to Truth.

yosemite

right on mellow!! :clap:

sorry bsr cant help ya there for i see clearly new testiment in the apostolic church. i not only see that apostolic pentecost is right by the new testiment but also the old testement. you could have one of maybe two problems. one is your church is going astray from the teaching of bible and apostolic doctrine or the second being that you yourself are blinded. you have to be the one to search the scriptures with fear and trembling. i cant do it for you. i only tell what i know. it is up to you to beleive. but i will say this in defence of the apostolic doctrine,IT IS THE TRUTH. you ran the race so good, what did hender you? run and not grow weary. walk and not faint.

Backseat Radio

Quote from: MellowYellow on August 06, 2010, 05:22:04 AM
Just to stir the pot...

There is a sect of Catholics that call themselves apostolic, even in the names of their churches.  "Apostolic Bible Church" was the 1st one I became aware of, they even are more on the conservative side.  We can't be more loyal to a label than to Truth.

*stirs the pot some more*

I realize that all these different denominational and church names have come about as a result of divisions and trying to show which set of beliefs we hold to.  I sometimes wonder though if we're guilty of the same thing that Paul had to correct in Corinth  - I am of Paul and I am of Apollos.   Why do we say "I'm apostolic" when the apostles didn't die our sins or "I'm Pentecostal" when the day of Pentecost didn't die for our sins?

Ultimately what we should be striving to be is a follower of Jesus Christ. 

Cyn12178

Growing up in a non-Apostolic faith I remember thinking there has got to be more than this...  I was 17 when I got the Holy Ghost my first time to a Pentecostal church.... and I knew this was the "more" I was yearning for.  I love being Pentecostal!   :)

yosemite

Quote from: bsr on August 07, 2010, 05:17:44 PM

Why do we say "I'm apostolic" when the apostles didn't die our sins or "I'm Pentecostal" when the day of Pentecost didn't die for our sins?

Ultimately what we should be striving to be is a follower of Jesus Christ. 

bsr- i aint in contention with ya, but i do want to share this. i also dont want to overload your circuits on scripture. just try to see this for me, OK.

Mt 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

here it refers to a foundation. the foundation of apostles.

Eph 2:20  And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

again this is a foundation of old and new testament. "line upon line" Jesus being the strength and backbone.

Lu 6:48  He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

foundation on foundation till the beginning of time Jesus being the rock. "line upon line, precept upon precept, here a littrle there a little.

Ac 2:42  And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

the apostles were witnesses and the fulfilment of new testament times. pentecost was the celebration of deliverance and birth date of the new covenant when the Holy Ghost was given. maybe there are other people who can explain it better than i, seeing i am not a word smith. i can still see the very importance of being apostolic and following truth. true, a name is just a name till ya put truth to it. the bible says to guard your name as you do gold and silver, not letting it be corupted. there are many names and some have seen their fair share of coruption. the hebrews, the jews, the gentiles, now its a whole array of names. i'm glad to be associated with the apostolics of truth. true doctrine. my preacher once said," pentecost is not a denomination, it is an experience". i beleive him, now!!

Ac 11:26  And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

seems everyone is called christians nowadays.

praying for ya!

Quote from: Cyn12178 on August 09, 2010, 03:30:44 AM
Growing up in a non-Apostolic faith I remember thinking there has got to be more than this...  I was 17 when I got the Holy Ghost my first time to a Pentecostal church.... and I knew this was the "more" I was yearning for.  I love being Pentecostal!   :)

you and i have an almost identicle testimony. thanks for sharing. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: