News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Gun control?

Started by SippinTea, October 30, 2009, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Bedelia

LOL allow me to introduce myself... I was homeschooled for my entire k-12, born and raised in North Carolina.  Moved to New York a couple years ago... the conservative raising hasn't completely rubbed off yet.

the amount of homeless really will break your heart here.. and yet make one calloused  :-?

Mind control is around: pop culture, subcultures (hipsters and etc.), brands... we've got a lot that subconsciously affects our decision making constantly.  Marketing has it down to a science... use a different color on a product and people will flock to it, change the hue and suddenly its not as appealing.  Its so easy to make us into puppets  :o

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Lol... I was homschooled from the middle of 5th grade till the middle of 7th... the AOG church that my mom and step-dad went to had this thing where everyone but the Pastor homeschooled their kids, and they all had like 5 or more kids.

So my mom and step-dad joined the band wagon... at first I didn't like being away from all of my friends at school, I was the class clown... (go figure... betcha couldn't of guessed that one...), and so I thought I would miss all the interactions, but we joined a few home school group, and got plenty of it!

Then my parents got strapped for cash, and decided to send us back to public school, so my mom could go back to work. That is worse than just leaving a kid in public school... two totally different cultures that don't mix. We were ill-prepared to go back to public school, and though I eventually got used to it... I always have said my kids, when and if I have them, will be home schooled... if I have anything to say about it!

-----------------
As far as the homeless go, it did break my heart to see it. A local street evangelist took 5 of us to the South Side, we took the subway, and we handed out tracts in some park. I met a homeless man, and we were inviting him to church, and asked for his address to fill out a prayer card, and he just looked at us and pointed to a cardboard box under a park bench... and said that was where he lived. He didn't ask us for money or anything, just matter a factly showed us his cardboard box.

I asked him why he didn't stay in a shelter, he said they were either worse than the park, or full.

There is more personal stuff to the story, but it affected me in a way, I still don't quite know how to express (and believe me, that is rare... I am usually good with words... Mr. Rich-in-words)(LOL...) the way I felt at that moment.

He showed his father's Bible, wrapped up in a plastic baggy... he knew his Bible too... I just couldn't comprehend how someone could not have a home. Still gets me to think about it... I dont know if that man froze in his sleep that winter, or if he made it to an alter somehow...

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Melody

I know homschooling is  :offtopic:  but to add to the  :pwink:

Thank you so much, AB and YYD, for saying that.   This is my kids' first year of hs, and my husband lost his job last fall.  God has provided and He will continue to, but it is a consideration we have of me having to get a job.   If I do and the kids' have to go back, it'll be my son's 1st year of jr.high.  Not a fun yr to go back on. 

I was hs. and put back in ps. then homeschooled and put back, my whole school career was rocky.  I went to 11 different schools, counting homeschooling as 1.  Changing schools is tough and I've been trying to weigh it.  Your posts helped, thank you!

Amelia, my little Hannah is quite the sanguine and I want to make sure she doesn't lose her pep from homeschooling, your personality on GP encourages me that she won't.  Thanks!

:updown:

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

The best thing(s) I found about Homeschooling is that :

a. The parents control the environment their children are raised in, and the experiences they have. They can decide when to expose the kids to different controversial topics that have real impacts on young kids.

b. If you join one or more home school groups, your kids can be just as socialized as you would hope they can be.

c. Everything and everywhere you go is part of the schooling process. I didn't like it so much all the time, but vacations had educational benefits, and eventually I became "ok" with writing an essay on the
animals at the Zoo we went to on vacation. But it counted towards my schooling...

d. P.E. can be as simple as going to the "Bowling Alley" during the day, when the music is low, and no drunks hanging out... and the prices are cheap too... or simply going for a family bike ride down a nature trail.

e. You have more time with your kids. I cherish the moments that I had with my mom, even though most of the time she was trying to pull out her hair cause of me... lol. Once I went PS again, that was gone, and when I turned 15, I began to work, and was never really around from then to when I graduated at 17, and left for the USAF at 18... and am now 26, and only go back occasionally.

f. You have more ability to travel places with your kids, I think if the mom Home school's the kids, sometimes the dad's get jealous cause he is at work, while Mom and the kids are out doing stuff. But there were times where we would go places, and the only schedule that mattered was his... that was cool. Wish my parents were more impromptu about that... lol

And there are lots more I am sure... but can't think of them now...

Feed The Bachelors 2010

jfrog

Quote from: YooperYankDude on February 15, 2010, 12:10:02 AM
Quote from: Sis on February 14, 2010, 09:54:36 PM
One of the first things Hitler did was disarm the public.

I know this is not a political sounding board... so I won't take that any further... but Hitler also had the "Hitler Youth"... and wanted to get the kids involved in changing things around the country of Germany...

Sound remotely familiar to anything that has happened in the 'oh past 10 yrs here in America (broad enough so that I can't be said I am talking of anyone specific...)???

You mean Hitler was like your youth pastor JKJK :P

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

LOL... well I guess I asked for that one... lol...  :pound: yooper... sorry dear old Youth Pastor... lol

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Amelia Bedelia

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 15, 2010, 08:27:08 PM
I know homschooling is  :offtopic:  but to add to the  :pwink:

Thank you so much, AB and YYD, for saying that.   This is my kids' first year of hs, and my husband lost his job last fall.  God has provided and He will continue to, but it is a consideration we have of me having to get a job.   If I do and the kids' have to go back, it'll be my son's 1st year of jr.high.  Not a fun yr to go back on. 

I was hs. and put back in ps. then homeschooled and put back, my whole school career was rocky.  I went to 11 different schools, counting homeschooling as 1.  Changing schools is tough and I've been trying to weigh it.  Your posts helped, thank you!

Amelia, my little Hannah is quite the sanguine and I want to make sure she doesn't lose her pep from homeschooling, your personality on GP encourages me that she won't.  Thanks!

:updown:

Aww thanks - MY you'll do great!  There are so many more support systems in place than when my mom or your mom was starting out - take advantage of it all.  Also, don't beat yourself up if you're not super disciplined.  You'll hear the stories of the super-homeschoolers up at 5am, chores done and spotless house by 6:30 and then nonstop school until 11:30 when the kids cook a gourmet lunch... don't be intimidated and don't try to be like them  :o  LOL

My mom was waaaay laid back - we taught ourselves.  Learning how to learn, how to hunt for and acquire knowledge rather than react to what a teacher feeds you and retain info only for tests and not substance and concepts, was a plus in my view

SippinTea

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on February 16, 2010, 12:54:35 AM
we taught ourselves.  Learning how to learn, how to hunt for and acquire knowledge rather than react to what a teacher feeds you and retain info only for tests and not substance and concepts, was a plus in my view

Yeah. That.

:highfive: for all the homeschoolers within reach

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Homeschoolers rock!   :great:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

1legRooster

Homesteaded and/or a good christian private school is the only way to go.   :great:

:hi:
The early bird get's the worm, but who wants to eat a worm.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Wonders if this thread spawned the new look for AB... LOL

Feed The Bachelors 2010