Main Menu

would you marry debt?

Started by Amelia Bedelia, February 14, 2010, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on February 16, 2010, 02:57:59 PM
Quote from: Ashlee on February 16, 2010, 05:36:27 AM
Quote from: 1legRooster on February 15, 2010, 03:44:27 AM
For that matter you could look into the money trading markets, buy currency like the euro and when it goes up, trade it to dollars, supposedly people make money on that market. 

If you are looking into other lines of investment.

What happens if they change the look of the currency or something and what you have is no longer good?

You don't actually have the money in hand, it's all done on computer.
[/quo

But if you went with Gold, you do actually get the coins or bars you would actually have it in your hands. And some places such as Goldline guarantee to buy it back when your ready.

But make sure they are a reputable source... nothing worse then spending thousands of dollars on fools gold.

Feed The Bachelors 2010

The Cold Water Kid

If you decide to get involved with property management there are some things you should know beforehand. Many people go into property management with a dream of helping people but the reality is that most landlord/ tenant arrangements end with someone feeling they got a raw deal. Oh, and it's almost guaranteed you will be sued at some point. If that kind of stress doesn't bother you then go for it. Property Management is kinda like Bill Collecting, you can make a lot of money at it if you've got the stomach for it.

Sis

Which is exactly why I wanted to sell our family home rather tban rent it out. Being an absent landlord means you can't keep an eye on your property and see what's happening to it. Not my thing.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: Sis on March 05, 2010, 10:26:04 PM
Which is exactly why I wanted to sell our family home rather tban rent it out. Being an absent landlord means you can't keep an eye on your property and see what's happening to it. Not my thing.

When I first read this post, I thought I read "Being an absentminded landlord means you can't keep an eye on your property and see what's happening to it."

LOL... then I went back and reread it thinking you couldn't have possibly said that or be admitting to it.   :biglaugh:

Heard a preacher once say he didn't have Alzheimer's but he did have a few part timers... lol. 

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Sis

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: Sis on March 06, 2010, 12:01:17 AM
:laughat:  Only on GP! 

Heard another one say "Sometimes my wife wakes up grumpy... and sometimes she lets him sleep..."   :biglaugh:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

nicolejoy

My 2c - I would totally buy if I had the means to. I think that while you are single, it's important to prepare yourself financially for the future. A house is the ONE kind of debt that I think is worth it. I'd never go into debt for a car even... But generally, housing is a pretty good investment - plus if you live in it you're also saving money in rent (ie, you're not paying someone else's mortgage!)

Sure if Mr Right comes along, (or if something else happens), it may need to be sold or something - but overall you shouldn't be worse off for having to do that (depending on the market and all that). BUT if he doesn't come along, I do think that home-owning is a good way of putting your money to work for you and preparing for retirement.

I do think that before marriage, women in particular need to be financially savvy and think about their financial future. A lot of women seem to just wait for their white knight to come riding in and look after them financially. But a wise woman will think of her own financial future.

I would think that a man would find it respectable that his future wife was actually making money and doing stuff with her money rather than just sitting around waiting for him to pick up the tab for her.

So in short, if I were you, I'd totally go for it!!

Sis

I owned my house when  Mr Right and I got married, and he was grateful that it was one less expense. We lived in the house until we moved in 2000.  Mr Right might like it.  Our "rent" was the yearly taxes. How many people only pay  $1000 a year for  housing?

nicolejoy

Sis

Not me, either. We now pay more than that a month.

nicolejoy

I don't think I'll even admit how much we pay - housing is ridiculously expensive in HK... In Australia, when you're doing a budget, they suggest to allocate about 20% or so of your income to housing. In HK, it's more like up to 50%!!

sunlight

Quote from: nicolejoy on March 08, 2010, 01:21:26 AM
My 2c - I would totally buy if I had the means to. I think that while you are single, it's important to prepare yourself financially for the future. A house is the ONE kind of debt that I think is worth it. I'd never go into debt for a car even... But generally, housing is a pretty good investment - plus if you live in it you're also saving money in rent (ie, you're not paying someone else's mortgage!)

Sure if Mr Right comes along, (or if something else happens), it may need to be sold or something - but overall you shouldn't be worse off for having to do that (depending on the market and all that). BUT if he doesn't come along, I do think that home-owning is a good way of putting your money to work for you and preparing for retirement.

I do think that before marriage, women in particular need to be financially savvy and think about their financial future. A lot of women seem to just wait for their white knight to come riding in and look after them financially. But a wise woman will think of her own financial future.

I would think that a man would find it respectable that his future wife was actually making money and doing stuff with her money rather than just sitting around waiting for him to pick up the tab for her.

So in short, if I were you, I'd totally go for it!!
* sunlight thinks hard
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

The Cold Water Kid

Refusing to marry someone because they are in debt... probably practical but it feels shallow somehow. I'd like to think that if I ever meet the one the chemistry between us will be so strong that I'd "climb the highest mountain; swim the widest sea...". I can't imagine debt being a deal-breaker. And if it could be then I should probably re-evaluate my feelings for her.