News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

investing in friendship? Is it worth it?

Started by apsurf, May 21, 2007, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

titushome

Quote from: Sister_Mom on June 21, 2007, 02:05:41 PM
...if we could all have the attitude to forgive more than we have been forgiven.

That's a terrific attitude!
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Classicrambler

Chseeads

Quote from: coolguy on June 21, 2007, 05:24:25 AM

:sing: "When an eel lunges out and he bites off your snout, that's a moray!!"

That's funny.  lol

Nerd

I saw that years ago in an old comic book. Seems like it might've been "B.C."... 

:viking:

Classicrambler

Quote from: Chseeads on June 23, 2007, 04:41:06 PM
Quote from: coolguy on June 21, 2007, 05:24:25 AM

:sing: "When an eel lunges out and he bites off your snout, that's a moray!!"

That's funny.  lol

:o Bummer...I'd been mulling over the idea of writing such a parody for several years now. Phooey; by the time I have a good idea, someone else has already done it.

Nerd

Yeah, it always stinks when you go tell your friends, "I've got this great idea! dadadadada...", and they say,

"Yeah, dude, that's a good idea, but I saw that same thing on channel 12 the other day."

:mad:

lol

apsurf

Yea, especially when a friend comes up and says, "your girlfriend told me about yall's date" and all you did was pay for a girl's lunch on  a trip and you hardly know her!

makes you wonder if the humor is coming out...or if you have someone crushing on ya....

Newsman

Hmm, any recent trips you haven't mentioned there, Brandon?

The Inquisito..err, the public wants to know!  :laughhard:

John  :goodmod: err,  :waving:

apsurf

Let's just say st louis comes to mind...or is that memphis...

Jon_W

I have a hard time making friends, mainly because I have been hurt by friends. I am trying to get over that. Do have a girl that works where I work that I like now but am still afraid to get too close
Some minds are like concrete
Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

SippinTea

We've all been hurt by friends, Jon. But take the risk. I think you'll find it's worth it. :)

One of my very best friends is a guy that took the risk, and I'm really thankful he did.

In reading back through this thread, I found a former post of mine....

Quote from: SippinTea on May 31, 2007, 09:17:36 PM
I'm very thankful for my non-romantic relationships with guy friends, because they put something into my life that I can't get from my girl friends. And in listening to the guys, I'd have to say it works the other way around, too. Ladies put something into men's lives that can't be received any other way. Guess God knew what He was doing when He made us different, eh? *grin* Looks as if we all need each other, after all....even when we don't want to admit it.

I still feel that way. In fact, I feel even more strongly about it now than when I wrote that.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

The Purple Fuzzy

This is an interesting thread to go back and read. :)

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

apsurf

Being the orginator of the thread....I still find it okay to have a "aquaintance friend"  But I still won't let anyone very close to me.   Probably will continue that path regardless of circumstances that ever arise.   I might let someone be a little closer than others, but even then I do pull back from them after a bit.  I just find it more comforting keeping the wall up.  It isn't that I don't need anyone in my life.  I just prefer to keep things at a comfortable distance.  I guess It all boils down to that I have a very large bubble of personal space!

titushome

Quote from: [{(nwlife)}] on August 10, 2008, 06:07:36 AM
I just find it more comforting keeping the wall up.  It isn't that I don't need anyone in my life.  I just prefer to keep things at a comfortable distance.  I guess It all boils down to that I have a very large bubble of personal space!

Recognizing one's particular need for "personal space" is a good thing, but it's also true that what we're comfortable with is sometimes, perhaps even usually, NOT what is best for us.

Maybe you need to force yourself beyond comfort.  ;)
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Jon_W

Quote from: [{(nwlife)}] on August 10, 2008, 06:07:36 AM
Being the orginator of the thread....I still find it okay to have a "aquaintance friend"  But I still won't let anyone very close to me.   Probably will continue that path regardless of circumstances that ever arise.   I might let someone be a little closer than others, but even then I do pull back from them after a bit.  I just find it more comforting keeping the wall up.  It isn't that I don't need anyone in my life.  I just prefer to keep things at a comfortable distance.  I guess It all boils down to that I have a very large bubble of personal space!

I feel  the same here. There is like a wall up that I cant and am not sure I want to get down. I have a couple of friends and it seems the closest friend I have is one thats helped me since my moms death. And its someone I have never met  but she has been  there to talk to and just listen. Infact shes the one that told me about this board.

I know I need to try make more friends just its hard

Jon
Some minds are like concrete
Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Ashlee

Well, that one broke through the barrier.  There will be more.  There is however, one friend you have.  He has never left your side and he never will. 

newkris

some friends are worth more investment than others.  not because of what you get back, but because of what you see grow in their life.

maybe it's because of the One friend that i know this to be true.

but then there's one lately that i have rather enjoyed watching.

God is good. 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

upcchris

"That's a moray" BOL...that's classic!

Investing in freindship is definitely worth it whether they are male or female...yeah it bites when they get married and you can't spend as much time hanging out with them, unless you're fortunate enough to have a close guy friend and gal friend get married to each other, but the memories are worth it. Take it from someone who's been surrounded by an ivory tower for most of her life...their many gaps in my wall now and I'm working on breaking it down...but there are times when I appear aloof and distant to people who don't know me, therefore it's difficult to make friends with people who think you're cold and standoffish....initially I was like that because I was afraid of guy freindships that would progress...but now I don't care, they know where I stand and I like hanging with them as freinds.
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

Sis

We had a guy friend who was younger. We helped him, even gave him our old car because it needed about $400 worth of work it needed.

He used us, then started arguements and marched out. Then went to others in church and started lying about us. The last time I saw him was General conference year before last, and he started an arguement right there at conference. I felt so bad, we left and didn't stay for service.

Those are the type that you don't want to hang on to. We were only trying to give him a leg up because his parents disowned him. Now I see why.

There are quite a few people back home who believed what he said after we left. It doesn't pay to try to help out sometimes.

Melody

The last few years God has placed wonderful friends in my life.  And they keep leaving.  All for God-called great reasons, so I am excited for them!  But after a while it is sad.  I have a friend who I have come to reguard highly.  She is moving this summer to be a principal in Honduras.  I have had a couple of moments that it just hurts.  I know we will always be friends, but ya know how friendships tend to change.   

I was talking to a friend about it and she said I could love deep and have it hurt sometimes or put up a wall to never know the depths of great relationships, keeping everyone at a distance.  It's tempting to not become so invested in people, to not put myself out there.  But then I wouldn't have the blessed friendship in the 1st place!  And really, it's worth it.

There's the guarantee that at some point, I will be used and hurt if I keep putting myself out there.  It's happened, and it will happen again, but I have to trust the process that God is bringing me through to be closer to Him.  If I deny the process, I deny my own growth.

To know Him, in the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His suffering.   I can't have one without the other. 

Sis

God may put someone in your life for a season for a reason. You may uplift them in ways you will never know, or they may be giving you answers you didn't know you needed.

I tend to go with the flow. If they're there, I give it my all, if they have to leave, I'll be sad but happy for them.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

I have found out that God puts people in your life for specific specific, and sometimes unknown reasons... and not always the reasons you think.

They perhaps may be used by God to help open a door, that may not have previously been open. 

BUT no matter the reason, I do cherish ALL my friends, and like keeping them long term... although when a gal I am friends with gets married, things do change... but hopefully, I can become good friends with her new best friend, and then I can hang out with them together!

:grin:

I have met so many new people by meeting just one person, one really good amazing God sent friend!  And now because of all those new awesome, amazing friends, I am making even more awesome friends... God is cool!   :grin:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

SippinTea

Quote from: YooperYankDude on May 18, 2010, 04:14:36 AM
BUT no matter the reason, I do cherish ALL my friends, and like keeping them long term... although when a gal I am friends with gets married, things do change... but hopefully, I can become good friends with her new best friend, and then I can hang out with them together!

:great:

"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: SippinTea on May 18, 2010, 04:51:33 AM
Quote from: YooperYankDude on May 18, 2010, 04:14:36 AM

:great:

I knew of at least one friend... soon to be bride would appreciate this... :)

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
*Yoop goes to check on flights to Upper West Coast to visit a few friends... and make some new ones!*
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Feed The Bachelors 2010