News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

investing in friendship? Is it worth it?

Started by apsurf, May 21, 2007, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Bedelia

Quote from: TRAV on May 30, 2007, 06:29:48 AM
Quote from: Backseat Radio on May 30, 2007, 05:14:16 AM
for a long time I've been scared to try a friendship with a male

...that's only because they bite.

:o :nono: :laughhard:

oh my I found that rather hilarious  :hypocrite:

I'll have to remember that warning

Newsman

Dude, you WEREN"T supposed to Warn them!

John  :waving:

...that's only because they bite.[/color]

apsurf

Quote from: Newsman on May 30, 2007, 06:52:16 AM
Dude, you WEREN"T supposed to Warn them!

John  :waving:

...that's only because they bite.[/color]

what warning, we usually don't bite until we get scratched!

Backseat Radio

Quote from: nwlife on May 30, 2007, 06:41:52 AM
What you never been chicken fishing?!?!?!?!? :o  You just tie a couple ears of corn to a string and watch the chicken chase them when you pull the string.....the one who catches it becomes sunday dinner! :fork:

I know a bit about milking chickens, but not about fishing for chickens.

apsurf

Quote from: Backseat Radio on May 30, 2007, 07:04:01 AM
Quote from: nwlife on May 30, 2007, 06:41:52 AM
What you never been chicken fishing?!?!?!?!? :o  You just tie a couple ears of corn to a string and watch the chicken chase them when you pull the string.....the one who catches it becomes sunday dinner! :fork:

I know a bit about milking chickens, but not about fishing for chickens.

How about purse fishing....now that can be fun...  Just take a purse, and lay it on the side of the road with a line attached...
when someone pulls over to pick it up, and just as they reach for it...pull the line!!!! :laughhard:

Backseat Radio

purse fishing sounds like it could be fun  :biglaugh:

I most commonly do the other form of purse fishing... fishing in the bottom of my purse for my keys.

Nerd

If anyone needs a friendship investor, say something now. Radio's got the purse out.  :P

;)

Backseat Radio

titushome

nwlife,

I think you were right when you wrote that friendships should be invested in, not for what we can get out of them, but for the other person - simply because of who he or she is.

And I don't know if it's just a guy thing, but for some of us it certainly is difficult , investing in friendships without looking for "what's in it for me."

But it's definitely worth it, and furthermore I believe it's God's ideal.

I wasn't looking for romance when I met my wife.  Sure, as I got to know her, it was not long at all before the thought entered my mind that our relationship might go beyond friendship.  Still, I didn't vest my hope for our friendship in that thought, but just tried to enjoy spending time with her for who she is, and tried to be the best friend I could be (within the appropriate limits, of course).
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Chseeads

I don't invest anything in female friendships because I don't want anything to come out of it.  At least not females in general that might be eligible for romance...  I'll invest in friendship with females that are the wives of my male friends, but I don't want any return on investment anywhere else.  :freaky:

SippinTea

I'm glad you admitted to investing in friendships with at least the wives of your male friends, if not any single gals, because otherwise you'd be missing something, Cheeseman. :)

I'm very thankful for my non-romantic relationships with guy friends, because they put something into my life that I can't get from my girl friends. And in listening to the guys, I'd have to say it works the other way around, too. Ladies put something into men's lives that can't be received any other way. Guess God knew what He was doing when He made us different, eh? *grin* Looks as if we all need each other, after all....even when we don't want to admit it.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Sister_Mom

Quote from: Chseeads on May 31, 2007, 09:08:48 PM
I don't invest anything in female friendships because I don't want anything to come out of it.  At least not females in general that might be eligible for romance...  I'll invest in friendship with females that are the wives of my male friends, but I don't want any return on investment anywhere else.  :freaky:

What about friendships with old ladies? They're harmless.... or so I hear.  :hypocrite:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

TRAV

Quote from: Chseeads on May 31, 2007, 09:08:48 PM
I don't invest anything in female friendships because I don't want anything to come out of it.  At least not females in general that might be eligible for romance...

wow.
PROVERBS 3:5,6

Chseeads

newkris

sad was the adjective that came to mind, actually.

seth, really?  you're missing out on a very precious part of life.  friendships - regardless of age or gender - give back so much more than they cost to invest in.
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Classicrambler

I've noticed I tend to steer away from being very close friends with girls, just because something might happen...or if you meet someone, and something does happen, will she have a problem with all of your close friends that are girls? (And if so, does she have a point, or does it mean she's the wrong one.)

...oops I accidently edited this when I meant to quote it...now I can't remember the rest of what it originally said. Arrrg.

Backseat Radio

I guess i must be the oddball gall when it comes to shopping.  I hate to shop.  Give me the list and I'll conqueror it but don't make me stay in the store half a day having no clue what I'm in there for.  Thats torture, not fun.

SippinTea

Quote from: Backseat Radio on June 01, 2007, 02:04:31 AM
I guess i must be the oddball gall when it comes to shopping.  I hate to shop.  Give me the list and I'll conqueror it but don't make me stay in the store half a day having no clue what I'm in there for.  Thats torture, not fun.

Yay! I'll join you on that one. I despise shopping, and no, I'm not kidding.

I always kinda figured I was a freak. Whoever heard of a girl that hated shopping?! LOL  Oh, well. Such is me.

Chseeads

Quote from: Classicrambler on June 01, 2007, 12:52:09 AM

I've noticed I tend to steer away from being very close friends with girls, just because something might happen...or if you meet someone, and something does happen, will she have a problem with all of your close friends that are girls? (And if so, does she have a point, or does it mean she's the wrong one?)

I know what you mean.....  That used to be something I thought of too....but now it doesn't matter, cause I don't plan to be buddies with any girls that are 'dangerous' that anything might be liable to develop with.

SippinTea

Your loss. Their loss.

Everyone loses that way.

Newsman

Nerd

:twocents:

Bad experience caused me to be like that for a time, but any experience is still experience, right? It's still a good teacher.

:sing: "I keep my eyes wide open all the time..."

It's hard to be an adjective for a lollipop, meaning one who is easily duped, and golly please don't wash my mouth out with soap anymore, if you learn to read signs you've seen before. That helps me not to worry about the 'dangerous' gals. 

Buuuut, true friends don't just grow on trees, so I'll take all I can get.

I would think that a friendship that grew into something else would have less shocks in store for you than that kick-in-the-gut-ice-watery-knock-your-socks-off-instantly type thing.

SippinTea

Nerd