News:

Remember to check out the Devotions & Poems forum!

Main Menu

Breech Babies

Started by USAF Wifey, March 23, 2007, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USAF Wifey

Anyone have any experience with this???
My little guy is breech. and basically doesn't have room to get into the head down position. Just wondering about other people situations with this. :)

Raecheal

Mom did - with my sister .. Still delivered her naturally. I'll see what else she had to say. ;)

littlegal

I went through that with my first.  I had to have a c-section.  they gave me the option of trying to turn him.  But that can be very dangerous and painful.  It's something that most doctor do not recommend and don't like to do, but they have to give you the option.  I went into early labor and didn't get to make the final decision.   Mine ended up being an emergency c-section.  WHen he came out, his cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times, then around his chest and again around his waist.  If we had tried to turn him or had not known he was breech and tried a normal labor, it probably would have killed him.  God had his hand on my baby and all was well. 

Delivering a breech baby  naturaly is possible, but can be very risky.  Usually it will depend on what type of breah he is.  I think there are 2 or 3 different types.  One type requires a c-section and the other some doctors will give you a choice.

My guess is you can probably expect to have a c-section.  If that is the case, do as much research as possible on c-sections.  The more prepared you are, the better the experience will be.

*Christi*

I would also be prepared for that big guy to flop himself around!!  Noah was breech until about 36-37 weeks and then all of a sudden one day he just flopped over!!  It was SO odd!!  LOL  Isaac and Isabelle were both head down without any issues.

littlegal

Westley was born between the 36 and 37th week, so we didn't have a chance to see if that would happen.  When we found out he was breach it was because i went into labor and when the nurse checked to see how much i had dilated, she could feel his toes! 

myhaloisintheshop

I know at least 2 of mine were breech but  the were scheduled C sections anyway.   I asked the dr what he would do in a normal situation and he said he never really likes to turn them--he hopes they turn on their own and if not they schedule a C section.

acjmom

you are correct kim.... there are different types/degrees of breech.  i forget exactly what all the names are, but basically they can be head down but facing the wrong way (face is supposed to be toward your back), feet down but facing the right way, or feet down and facing the wrong way.  delivering a breech baby naturally really depends on the location of the cord, and which direction the baby is facing.  if the baby is facing your back, it's head/neck will naturally bend and follow the curve of your pelvis/hips/tail bone.  when the baby is facing your tummy it makes them not follow the curve properly and can actually result in straining/breaking their neck.  as far as location of the cord, it needs to be in a position that will not pose a strangulation risk.

afw... there are excercises a lamaze instructor can teach you to try and get the baby to turn, and you are definately still early enough for it to happen.  ;)

*disclaimer... i'm going on my own mental recollection (which may be feeble, lol) with this info;  feel free to research and double check  ;)
"Your problem is not the problem.  Your reaction to the problem is the problem"  -Pastor Brian Kinsey

Tricia Lea

I was born breech, Butt first, They used forceps to pull me out but that collapsed the top bone of my skull in, 

I dont think they use forceps much anymore, this was back in 71

I tell everyone I started showing my butt then and aint stopped yet

acjmom

oh yeah.... that's another form of breech.... butt down, legs up (basically folded in half)

Quote from: TriciaLea on March 24, 2007, 01:54:22 PM
:laughhard:
"Your problem is not the problem.  Your reaction to the problem is the problem"  -Pastor Brian Kinsey

JuJu03

The doc in my birthing class said that in the 30 years of his practice he has NEVER has a breeched baby turn when THEY would try to turn them....said just caused the mom alot of pain for nothing ..ended up having to do a c-section

breeched babies:
converted....the baby is side-ways in the stomach
foot down- baby facing stomach with one foot down
traditional-bottom first with knees up to the chest

those are the 3 that  I can think of

airforce...I am with the other moms and say that get as MUCH info as you can so you will not be surprised if they have to do a c-section but also know that the baby can flop over as well

*Christi*

I was born breech, Butt first, They used forceps to pull me out but that collapsed the top bone of my skull in, 

They used forceps to deliver Noah.  The vacuum wasn't working and the only other option was a c-section.  He was perfectly fine, just had a couple of little marks by his ears for a day or so.  Josh told everyone that they had to scoop him out with salad tongs!!  LOL

myhaloisintheshop

Dylan was bottom first.   

They had to use forceps to get Eric out during my C section--that didn't work so they used a vacuum.   He moved and it made a huge bruise on his forehead.

He was a stinker......and still is.

Envelope

My sister had a breech baby---they automatically scheduled a c section.

I've seen a dr try to "turn" a baby and it never worked!

sharon

littlegal

You are very lucky!  From what i've heard that is one of the most dangerous breech positions to deliver naturally.

Tricia Lea

Quote from: littlegal on March 26, 2007, 02:17:11 PM

You are very lucky!  From what i've heard that is one of the most dangerous breech positions to deliver naturally.

I do have mild CP on my right side due to it. My parents were told I probably would never walk, I was 22 months old when  I walked and I do have not too good eyesight, but other thn that  everything turned out ok