News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Car problems--running rough.

Started by M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ, January 05, 2007, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

My Nissan started running a little rough recently.  I decided to do some maintenance and try to figure out what was wrong.  I replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs and plug wires.  I ordered a new cap and rotor, but they haven't got here yet (I ordered everything online).  After doing the usual tune up procedures, I decided to look inside the distributor cap to see how it looked.  What I found surprised me.  Here's pics to show what I saw;

The rotor

Inside the cap

What amazes me the most is the fact that the car was still drivable, even if it was running rough.

From what I can tell, the small screw/bolt that is supposed to hold the rotor on, fell off and proceeded to chew up the rotor and the inside of the cap.  I can't see how the engine was getting enough spark to even start, let alone drive.

Anyhow, I expect the car will run a lot smoother once the rotor and cap arrive in the mail.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Envelope

that's about as funny as your DECK michael!!!!!!!  ha ha ha

sharon

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Envelope on January 05, 2007, 06:51:59 PMthat's about as funny as your DECK michael!!!!!!!  ha ha ha
Maybe I'm a little slow today. . . DECK?  Funny?

Envelope

Yeah, the deck with the murdered guy........OOPS sorry Patio!!!!

sharon

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Ah, I get it now.  I am slow.

This thread wasn't intended to be funny.  Those are actual pictures of my distributor taken yesterday.  The car was still driving, albeit, very rough.  From the condition of the rotor and cap, the car should not have even started, let alone drive.

Envelope

nah......I'm the one that feels like a DUNCE!!!  I thought this was in the humor and fun category!!!

Your poor car!!!!!  WOW.......I thought it was a joke and now I feel bad.........Ya'll have some NICE cars!!!  WOW that that happened to it!!!

sharon

I sure hope you get it fixed soon!!!

Sister_Mom

Awwww dude!! How on earth was that thing running?

Remind me of a couple of weeks before Christmas my sister came over and said her truck was running rough. She thought something was wrong with her power steering. She said that the truck died on her 3 times on her way to my house (she lives less than 5 minutes away). When my son looked under the hood she had no belt. Her truck uses a serpentine belt and there just wasn't one there at all.  :roll:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Envelope on January 05, 2007, 07:16:46 PMnah......I'm the one that feels like a DUNCE!!!  I thought this was in the humor and fun category!!!
No worries.  Easy mistake to make, especially on GP.  I just posted it here because we don't have an automotive related section on GP and cars are sort of a hobby/interest with me.  **Psst!  Hey admins!  How about creating an automotive related area for us?**

Quote from: Envelope on January 05, 2007, 07:16:46 PMYour poor car!!!!!  WOW.......I thought it was a joke and now I feel bad.........
Again, no worries.

Quote from: Envelope on January 05, 2007, 07:16:46 PMYa'll have some NICE cars!!!  WOW that that happened to it!!!
Thanks.  The Nissan is now 11 years old.  We bought it new in 1996.  The Dodge we bought this past July, also bought new.  I at least know the complete history of both cars we own, since we are the only owners of both.

Envelope

Hey MichaelK.......what about the "consumer issue board"?  It has a place for car problems.......(actually it's empty, but you could start something!)

sharon

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Envelope on January 05, 2007, 08:03:22 PMHey MichaelK.......what about the "consumer issue board"?  It has a place for car problems.......(actually it's empty, but you could start something!)
Well, I'd have to say that once a car is 11 years old with over 110K miles on it, any problems don't exactly fall into the "consumer issue" category.  I think those kinds of issues are more about problems between buyers and sellers, or manufacturers and consumers and not so much "My old hooptie broke down but was still running when it shouldn't be."  However, if I have problems with the new Dodge and can't get the dealer to fix it, that'll definitely go into the consumer issues area.

What I'd like to see, and I'm probably a very small minority here, is a section for car enthusiasts to exchange ideas and allow less knowledgeable people to come in and ask questions when needed -- very much like the Computer related section on GP.  However, since I'm a member of four automotive related message boards, I usually get my "car chat" done on those boards.

Envelope

I totally DIED laughing (not at your expense)---but at the use of the word HOOPTIE!!!  LOL...........The police Dept bought a car a couple years ago for $1 (yes a dollar).  It is a 90's model something (I can't remember right now)...and it's NICK name is HOOPTIE!!!  LOL

A couple weeks ago a new police officer was on his way home from the police acadamy and he had a deer/car wreck and totaled the Hooptie!!!  LOL.............the WHOLE dept was Praising God!!!  They hate that car!!  LOLOL

sharon

Heather

Quote from: Sister_Mom on January 05, 2007, 07:41:06 PM
Awwww dude!! How on earth was that thing running?

Remind me of a couple of weeks before Christmas my sister came over and said her truck was running rough. She thought something was wrong with her power steering. She said that the truck died on her 3 times on her way to my house (she lives less than 5 minutes away). When my son looked under the hood she had no belt. Her truck uses a serpentine belt and there just wasn't one there at all.  :roll:

that happened to me about 6 months ago. i pulled in to see my fiance when he worked somewhere else. got in my car to come home and it just died. fired it back up and drove all the way home. [about 15 minutes]. my dad went out the next morning. came in and asked who towed me home. i said not one. he informed me that my whole serpentine belt was gone and my car was not drivable.  :o then he proceeded to tell me i must have angels looking out for me  :cool:
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

I put the new cap and rotor on, now the car is running good as new.

Joseph Miller

Quote from: Envelope on January 05, 2007, 09:24:13 PM
I totally DIED laughing (not at your expense)---but at the use of the word HOOPTIE!!!  LOL...........The police Dept bought a car a couple years ago for $1 (yes a dollar).  It is a 90's model something (I can't remember right now)...and it's NICK name is HOOPTIE!!!  LOL

A couple weeks ago a new police officer was on his way home from the police acadamy and he had a deer/car wreck and totaled the Hooptie!!!  LOL.............the WHOLE dept was Praising God!!!  They hate that car!!  LOLOL

sharon

Talk about HOOPTIE police cars...

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

These are the kind of police cars I see around here:

Mercedes-

BMW-

Audi-

Mini-

Porsche-

Talk about a bunch of "hooptie" police cars!  :D

Heather

who could you possible haul into jail in a mini or a porsche? honestly?

don't get me wrong i love mini's and would like to own one, but how reasonable is it as a police car?
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

nicolejoy

A porsche is better for chasing bad guys than a "hooptie" (I hadn't even heard of that word before, I don't think!!) and minis are good for weaving in and out of traffic etc ;)

LarryTheCucumber

Quote from: nicolejoy on January 10, 2007, 01:32:32 AM
and minis are good for weaving in and out of traffic etc ;)
....and bouncing through subway tunnels, apparently
:biglaugh:

Tricia Lea

SippinTea

Quote from: surfdaworld on January 10, 2007, 06:54:26 AM
Quote from: nicolejoy on January 10, 2007, 01:32:32 AM
and minis are good for weaving in and out of traffic etc ;)
....and bouncing through subway tunnels, apparently
:biglaugh:

:nono:

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Arctic Rose

I am so glad the Nissan is up and running again. Today I get go take it and see if it passes the Inspection so the registration will be good for one more year. :)

I am not Spoiled.... Just well Loved!