News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

By special request of Lord Elvin, it's sharing 511

Started by Lynx, October 23, 2018, 02:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: Nelle on January 22, 2019, 07:00:05 PMI'm spending my lunch trying to get our internet up to the better gaming package so that our internet isn't lagging anymore. I'm super curious why I've been paying for 300 mbps prices for 100mbps internet.. lol. It's been a circus trying to get this upgraded for the last 45 minutes, so I doubt I'd get anywhere with trying to have that figured out as well. Jeremy bought a new modem that should be here this week sometime, so hopefully that only HELPS things like no lagging in the end. The modem we have is like at least 4+ years old, and they make us pay $10.50 per month to "lease" it. That's one expensive cheap modem. haha..
Depends on the type of internet connection, depends on the difference between megaBITS and megaBYTES.

Bits vs. bytes first: ISPs always quote their connection speed in megabits because it sounds more impressive, but your computer reports speed in bytes and there are eight bits in a byte. So an 800 megabit connection is only 100 megabytes.

If it is a DSL connection, speed drops off with distance from the local server. If the server is downtown and you are five miles away from it, your speed will be lower than the house right next door the the server building. Of course they quote the best possible speed for those who have a computer two feet away from the server. (DSL providers cover all this in the fine print, but their salespeople never ever mention it before you buy the service.)
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

My aunt finished her race today. I'll sure miss her.

Nelle

Quote from: Lynx on January 23, 2019, 12:17:01 AM
Quote from: Nelle on January 22, 2019, 07:00:05 PMI'm spending my lunch trying to get our internet up to the better gaming package so that our internet isn't lagging anymore. I'm super curious why I've been paying for 300 mbps prices for 100mbps internet.. lol. It's been a circus trying to get this upgraded for the last 45 minutes, so I doubt I'd get anywhere with trying to have that figured out as well. Jeremy bought a new modem that should be here this week sometime, so hopefully that only HELPS things like no lagging in the end. The modem we have is like at least 4+ years old, and they make us pay $10.50 per month to "lease" it. That's one expensive cheap modem. haha..
Depends on the type of internet connection, depends on the difference between megaBITS and megaBYTES.

Bits vs. bytes first: ISPs always quote their connection speed in megabits because it sounds more impressive, but your computer reports speed in bytes and there are eight bits in a byte. So an 800 megabit connection is only 100 megabytes.

If it is a DSL connection, speed drops off with distance from the local server. If the server is downtown and you are five miles away from it, your speed will be lower than the house right next door the the server building. Of course they quote the best possible speed for those who have a computer two feet away from the server. (DSL providers cover all this in the fine print, but their salespeople never ever mention it before you buy the service.)

I'll have to ask Jeremy what he's seeing on the speed test, because I didn't get to see it.

I spent two hours dealing with the upgrade - only to find out that our area cannot be upgraded. So hopefully a new modem will help some. If not, Jeremy's going to probably want to switch providers again. It started lagging some just about two weeks ago.. which was around the first "snow" event this year. Weird timing. Ah well.. first world problems I guess.

Sorry, PF. Thinking of you all today.

MsJennJenn

Aw sorry Sandra. :hug:

Me and the best friend bought tickets to go see the Dallas Symphony for "Gospel Night" with Marvin Winans and a 200 voice choir! CAN'T WAIT!
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Roscoe

So sorry, Fuzz. Praying for ya'll.
And in sharing- I had to do an intake on a prisoner just released from prison today. Dude walked in- and I did a double-take. He STRONGLY resembled our own Seth. LOL. I texted Seth, with a pic, and he complained loudly. The pic MIGHT have been sent to Mini and Chel as well...and saved for future use.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Roscoe

:hi:
I think the head bird of all is a jail bird. LOL. The guy really resembled him. And today was long and full of troubles. Fortuantly, most of the troubles weren't mine directly. Had a guy try to bring someone else's urine in to pass his drug test. Nasty. And stupid, because I caught him. He got two nights in an all inclusive resort for his troubles, and warnings that a repeat performance might get him 6 months.
And of course, the time all of this occurred was at 415 pm- when I get off at 430. :pound: I shoulda gave him another day just for that.

Got home, Lou had a delicious dinner waiting, and I discovered my W2 was in. I've spent the last 2 hours fighting Taxact, but I've got my taxes completed and filed. May be a bit before the refund makes it in though. Looks like we will be able to pay Chey's school tuition, Lou's hospital bill, pay for the 1/4 beef we've spoken for, pay our taxes and have a staycation- cause there sure ain't money to run across the US this round.
I'm just thankful for the enforced savings account. It's wiser to get more weekly in your check, but this helps us to actually save a bit.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

MsJennJenn

Whew. We've been fasting this week as a church and lawd fasting always shows just how human I am.
My heart and flesh may fail...I'm glad it's Friday.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Nelle

We put together Jeremy's computer desk last night. It's not the one he wanted, but it's the one that I felt better about price-wise, haha. It took so long. UGH.. I was SO tired. We didn't even have time to cook/eat dinner. As soon as we hit the door at 6pm, we started putting it together and we didn't finish until a little after 10pm. Fridays are my earlier day and we carpooled, so I had to get up at 5:30 and ride in with him. I need a nap when I get home.

We are putting my small desk together when he gets home tonight. I might need a prayer circle by then.. LOL.

Lynx

What kind of gaming rig is this that required four hours to assemble and install drivers for? Or did you install the whole operating system from scratch?
"Do you sing at church?"

Nelle

Just the desk. LOL. His computer was put together in like.. 20 minutes tops.

That desk was... involved. Lots of pieces from China.

Roscoe

:hi:. Long day yesterday, even with me taking off half the day. Found out our problem with our septic issues- the tank needed pumped. We should be good now, although I'm $170 bones poorer for it.No one wanted an outhouse though, so it had to be...
And I also slept wrong last nght and my right shoulder aches. I don't remember all of these pains when I was in my 20s. :pound:
So if you are young- well, look forward to a deep meaningful relationship with Ibuprofin.
 Now I need to go get groceries, and see about finishing up Rusty's passenger side door panel.

Nelle

I started working on year-end for church last night. I didn't feel like doing the manual labor involved in clearing out my corner of the office to put together my desk, and even though Jeremy offered, I didn't want him to have to put my desk together alone. Plus he was cooking the dinner I requested, so I wasn't about to complain.

Thankful to be off today. I was able to sleep in after waking up violently sick this AM when his alarm went off. I haven't felt bad all day afterwards, so I'm hoping something was just not settled in my stomach and I won't be revisiting any of that again, haha.

About to go on visitation and then back to hitting the year-end books again. I dislike year-end at work and at church - because it's all a similar kind of stress and paperwork involved for me, haha. I'm up to my ears in contribution statements and reports.   I think it's irritating and ironic that all the bank statements can balance and the quarter 1-3 reports can balance, but once I get to quarter 4... something always goes wrong, lol. I have spent more time than I care to admit looking for less than a $5 difference since taking this position a few years ago.

Oh well... I stopped looking for that $5 and worked on contribution statements instead so that my little poor brain could take a break from puzzle breaking and just do data entry, haha. Hopefully when I get the rest of the paperwork ready, I will have an epiphany or maybe God will highlight the error for me. :) Or at least.. that's what I'm praying for. LOL.

Roscoe

Well, today has flown by thus far. Been busy- looked up and it was lunch time. I am SO glad we have hired someone, and she is experienced. This means that soon, my workload will be cut approximately in half. I can't wait.
They are saying we might have snow tonight. If it has to come it needs to snow a foot so I can take off work. :pound:
 Personally, I'd as soon skip the nastiness though and go straight to spring! Flowers, green grass, and most importantly, warm weather.

MsJennJenn

I got a special delivery this morning so I can't focus on anything else. (Hopefully my picture works lol)

[attach name=IMG_2350.JPG type=image/jpeg]7819[/attach]
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Roscoe

Whoo-hoo! Master's! Now, are ya gong after your doctorate??

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Roscoe on January 28, 2019, 06:13:34 PMWhoo-hoo! Master's! Now, are ya gong after your doctorate??

I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind. But maybe in the future. I've got enough student loans as it is.
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Nelle

Wooohoo! Congrats, MJJ!

While I am a tiny bit jealous of the snow possibility, it's raining here today and I'm glad because it's finishing washing off all that salt from last week. I've been hoping for a warmer day so that I could go to the car wash, but God and Mother Nature got together and helped me out. ;)

Lynx

Snow... don't talk to me about snow. They were talking snow at w*rk yesterday but my phone forecast only clouds. And my phone was right. I wish it was wrong.
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

It is 18 degrees this morning.No snow. If it is going to be this cold, it needs to snow, deep enough that I get the day off.

Nelle

Yeeeeeeeeeees. If the air hurts my face, I should get snow in payment. :)

MsJennJenn

I'm over winter. As I always am when it's winter.

Bring me back my 100 degrees and I'll be happy.
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Roscoe

:stupid:
100%.

And yes, that's irony, a fat old uneducated cop calling a Master's degreed scholar stupid. :lol:  Blame GP for it. :wasup:
And in sharing, Lou and I were discussing our "staycation" this year. SHE came up with the idea of taking Rusty and the Camper on a two day exploration, possibly on Route 66. I love that woman.

MsJennJenn

-Alexander Den Heijer-

Nelle

We are driving to Yellowstone in July. I LOVE those kind of road trips. I finally get to see areas that my family (pre-kids.. like.. my grandparents) were able to see years ago. I like knowing I could possibly be stepping where I always dreamed of going but never expected to be able to go. I am sooo excited to see these places. It's extra sweet & fun to be able to do so with some of our friends.  Only thing that could make it sweeter is to maybe go with my parents. I want to give them the world. I hope I get the chance to do those kinds of trips with them before the unspeakable happens.

I'm eating Starburst jelly beans. Working on work. Waiting on 4:30. lol.. Story of my life. :)