News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Computer HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by NessasMama, January 04, 2008, 04:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NessasMama

Help!!! I just got a new laptop and I have no clue about getting wireless. It has a wireless card in it. That is all I know. There are some public wireless connections around here but apparently my computers card isn't strong enough to get it. My friend brings her laptop here all the time and hooks right up.

I can't get wireless internet through my phone provider, which is Verizon. They don't have it in my location.

What are some suggestions, hints, etc.......................

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite. Any feelings on Toshiba? ? Good, bad, indifferent? ? ? ?  

Thanx,
JEN
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

Cody P

Have you tried the following:

1. Click on my computer

2. Click on control panel

3. Click on wireless network setup

* Then follow them instructions as prompted.

Let me know if this works.
I Am A Child Of God !

NessasMama

I'll have to try that in the morning. I'll let ya know if it works.
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

Cody P

Ok if not I will try to find something else out. :lol:
I Am A Child Of God !

Kyle

Quote from: NessasMama on January 04, 2008, 04:03:45 AM
Help!!! I just got a new laptop and I have no clue about getting wireless. It has a wireless card in it. That is all I know. There are some public wireless connections around here but apparently my computers card isn't strong enough to get it. My friend brings her laptop here all the time and hooks right up.

I can't get wireless internet through my phone provider, which is Verizon. They don't have it in my location.

What are some suggestions, hints, etc.......................

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite. Any feelings on Toshiba? ? Good, bad, indifferent? ? ? ? 

Thanx,
JEN

Most wireless cards are configured to work straight out of the box when the computer is turned on.  Some things to look at when dealing with wireless:

1) Do you have a router?  If you have a router, does the router support wireless access?  There are some routers out there that only support LAN line and not wireless connections.

2) Another option:

a) Press Start, and go to the Control Panel and click on Administrative Tools.
   b) Click on Computer Management.
   c) Click on Device Manager on the lower left.  Expand the My Computer and expand the tab that says Network Adapters.  If you see a red X or a yellow ! mark that means your wireless card is not properly installed.  If you see none of those, your wireless card is fine.

3) Click Start and go to Control Panel and click Network and Internet Connections and select Network Connections.  If you see a computer icon with a red X going through the line that means your not connected to the internet.  Right click the computer icon and make sure it set to Enable.  The next thing you do is right click the computer icon again and select the option that says View Available Wireless Networks.  You will then have a list of wireless networks you can access.  Some may be password protected, others may not.  When your connected successfully the computer will let you know.

This may sound elementary but you would be surprised how many people forget simple things.

As for your friend and having her laptop work correctly, many things come to mind.  She could have the internet through her phone so she's connected constantly or in fact she is able to pick up wireless networks you cannot.  Different routers pick up different frequencies though most routers these days are designed to pick up both frequencies with little trouble at all.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

NessasMama

I'm gonna go get a router this morning. That hopefully should "Cure" the problem!!!!!!!!!!

Cody P

I Am A Child Of God !