News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Good Computer vs Bad Computer

Started by Cody P, January 02, 2008, 01:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody P

Hey everyone I need some direction on what kind of a computer to buy when I get my income tax back. I am wanting it for home use. I have been thinking about getting a laptob however alot of people I talk to say there not as good as desktops. I just need some advice so if you would please let me know I would greatly appreciate it. :biglaugh:
I Am A Child Of God !

NessasMama

I have no idea to be truthful. i want a laptop too, but, everyone is telling me the same thing about them not being as good as a desktop. This thread may help me out too.
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

sunlight

Well, personally... It seems to depend on what you want the computer for. If you want something that you can take with you... then get a laptop. If you dont care to take it with you, and are more concerned with the performance, then get the desktop. the laptops- you are paying for the mobility... there seems to be better processors in desktops. from what i have been told one of the reasons is because of the cooling problems in laptops. hmm, maybe Chris or Mz. Ethyl can post, they both know a lot more than i do... lol, but thats not hard to know more than me on this subject... lol.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Kyle

Ahem you forgot me Jill.

The problem with a lot of laptops is that the cooling intake fan is located on the bottom of the laptop, which means you can't sit it on the bed or even your own lap, or pretty much anywhere because the heat will back up the computer and shut it down.  A rather flimsy attempt was made by manufacturer's to place rubber tabs on the bottom of the laptop to offset this, but the tabs come off rather easily with little resistance. 

Laptops are not meant to mobile game stations for the majority of people, they are made for people who work or are constantly on the go and don't generally have access to desktop computers.  Now you can spend a lot of money and buy the high end laptops which are made for it, or you can spend a lower amount and buy a good desktop that can the majority of games if your a gamer.  Desktops will always be better then laptops in the long run because they can be customized more in the area that they have more expansion slots for additional cards, the memory is easier to replace (just pop and click), hard drives can exchanged easier, even the processor can be upgraded with ease.  So in that sense a desktop is better then a laptop, but they are not as versatile as a laptop, but laptops trade the customization for the mobility.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

Cody P

Well I am not a gamer. I just want a computer I can take from one place to another. I wouldent be running much programs on it. A good friend of mine told me that he would sell me his Dell Inspiron 6000 with all the programs he has and with the wireless network card for $ 500.00 and its only like 2 yrs old and I know he takes good care of it. He said it runs faster than his desktop he has. So would this laptop be a good deal ? :lol:
I Am A Child Of God !

Babs

if a laptop is what you are needing then its a decent deal.

question you need to answer first off is, do you need your computer to go where you are most? or do you just want to use it at home mostly.

i prefer desktops, but have a laptop that i can take places when needed.

but mostly for what you say you want, i would recommend a desktop, since you havent stated a real need for your computer to go with you alot.

laptops are great, but much harder to work on, and more expensive if repair is needed.

desktops can be upgraded much easier and much longer. and you can add so much more to a desktop.

still its a preference thing.
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Cody P

Well I guess I really dont need a laptop that much , however I would like to be able to sit on the bed or in another room and still be able to have access to the computer. What are some good name brand desktops that people seem to like?
I Am A Child Of God !

Babs

buy a wireless keyboard and mouse lol, thats what i did and i sit where ever i like lol

again its more preferences..........

i prefer HP, Dell, or to just build my own. really dont care much about store bought computers myself because they put so much junk you dont need on them and you never can rid yourself of it all!

plus i refuse to go vista, so now i will have to build all my computers from here on out lol

My latest blog post.

Cody P

I have a emachine right now and im not real crazy about it. But I dont really want to have to order a computer and wait for it. I want to be able to go to a store or somewhere and pick it up. I just dont know what kind of computer to get. Im not sure which is a good desktop.
I Am A Child Of God !

Babs

whats wrong with the one you have?

perhaps you should just upgrade/reformat it?

My latest blog post.

Cody P

Nah I have done that. I just dont like it. Plus im giving it to my dad.
I Am A Child Of God !

Tsalagi

QuoteThe problem with a lot of laptops is that the cooling intake fan is located on the bottom of the laptop, which means you can't sit it on the bed or even your own lap, or pretty much anywhere because the heat will back up the computer and shut it down.  A rather flimsy attempt was made by manufacturer's to place rubber tabs on the bottom of the laptop to offset this, but the tabs come off rather easily with little resistance.

http://www.xoxide.com/acnoco.html  <--  Notebook cooler (goes under the laptop)  We use these in our shop, and they really help the heat problem.

QuoteLaptops are not meant to mobile game stations for the majority of people, they are made for people who work or are constantly on the go and don't generally have access to desktop computers.  Now you can spend a lot of money and buy the high end laptops which are made for it, or you can spend a lower amount and buy a good desktop that can the majority of games if your a gamer.  Desktops will always be better then laptops in the long run because they can be customized more in the area that they have more expansion slots for additional cards, the memory is easier to replace (just pop and click), hard drives can exchanged easier, even the processor can be upgraded with ease.  So in that sense a desktop is better then a laptop, but they are not as versatile as a laptop, but laptops trade the customization for the mobility.

Well said, O Hat!  I agree.  What I want to invent (or see hit the market) is a completely modular laptop, nothing inside the main case but the mobo.  THAT would be sweet. 

Sis

I have both. Use the desktop at home and take the laptop on trips.  Right now having trouble with the desktop, so I'm on the laptop.

We have a compaq laptop. It's ok, does most of what we went.

What I really hate about the laptop is the keyboard is set back from the edge almost forcing you to rest your wrists on the front of it. I type correctly and don't want to rest my wrists. Other than that, it's ok.

Cody P

I want to be able to test out a computer before I purchase it. However Im not sure of any local stores to me that have computers hooked up so you can test them out before you buy. :pound:
I Am A Child Of God !

Kyle

UPCguy21 all you have to do is go to store like Best Buy or another big name electronic store that sells computers.  They always have models running for people to play with.  They are not connected to the internet, but they are ready to be toyed around with to see if you would like them.

Advice:  Stay away from Dell.   I worked there.  I saw how they operated inside, I will not have another one.  Hewlett-Packard and Gateway remain my top 2 choices.  Hewlett because it's stylish, yet easy to learn computer, and Gateway for the sheer fact I have never had a piece of junk from them.

Sis

The disadvantage to Gateway is you have to deal through the mail. I hear they're closing their stores, so it's back to mail. We had them at work and it's a pain to wait so long to get it fixed, and to pack it up to send out.

sunlight

Quote from: Hat on January 02, 2008, 02:30:55 PM
Ahem you forgot me Jill.

ahh, i did. i still associate you with the chat group instead of the forum group... oops! sorry beanie!
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

JakeLeonard

Hmmm........sorry to offend Mac fans, but a Mac would not be a good computer to buy at this point, unless it is a laptop.

If you get a computer with Windows Vista, be prepared to be patient with it or try to search for Windows XP for the downgrade.

Vista isn't exactly a very good OS, so I would abandon getting any computer with Vista unless you want to deal with a loophole-filled OS with potential for allowing viruses without any notice. Get XP to downgrade away from Vista, if they still have copies somewhere.

Cody P

Im not sure which kind to get. I dont like Gateway that much. And I heard HP's arent that good either.
I Am A Child Of God !

dnr1128

I'd either buy a Mac or a dell with Ubuntu linux.  Windows gets worse and worse with each "upgrade"
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Cody P

Im not real crazy about Mac's . Alot of people I talk to say dells are good, but then again I dont want to have to order it online or on the phone. I want to be able to go into a store pay for a computer and  be carrying it out when I leave the store and I dont know if you can do that with Dells.
I Am A Child Of God !

Kyle

While I am not a big fan of Windows either, the case remains from what I've seen is that Windows is the easiest to run from a user perspective.  Most people don't want to bother with Linux or Apple, even though I feel Apple is better at Windows, especially with their Leopard OS coming out, they have had time to watch M$ fall on their face with backlash from the public that they were not expecting from Vista.  Vista came out January 30th, 2007, almost a year ago and still it has not seen any major service updates, just more and more people going back to XP Pro, or going to Ubuntu or Leopard when it comes out. 

Leopard is an upgrade of Tiger basically and first looks shows it to be built off of Tiger.  It features such things like the iCal which is way superior to the Windows Calender, the iChat which is easier to use then Windows Meeting Space, and much more.  The only thing oddly enough I see Vista beating out Leopard on is Network Security, which is ironic, but Apple doesn't have the option for good enough Spam Filtering.  That is only big thing I see a difference in two of security, but it is a difference nonetheless.  However, as always, most of the people who will flock to Apple is those looking for something innovative or graphic artists.

Speaking of Linux again, the main thing they have going for them is the fact that they are open source which means people are constantly working on them and fixing things as they see them.  The downside is that there are so many versions out, that a lot of them are not compatible with each other which has made people start looking into the Linux Standard Base (http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB)

And finally with Vista, nothing works with Vista.  Period.  Most businesses haven't even switched and if they did, they have quickly went back to XP Pro if they were smart.

Sis

We've had two HPs. One desktop and one laptop. They did well for us until they were outdated.

Cody P

Well thats cool but you cant purchase a dell or a apple from a store can you?
I Am A Child Of God !

Kyle

Dell has kiosks setup in various malls that you can use to look at Dell computers.

Apple has a Mac Authority store in malls usually as well that sells Apple.