News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Men's suits

Started by Envelope, September 28, 2006, 07:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envelope

I need some help ladies (and gentlemen.......). 

What type of men's suits do you or your husband wear?  I'm looking for something with good quality but not with a super hefty price tag.  My dad was never much one for buying name brand, so it's useless to ask him. 

My husband is 53, so he really doesn't want something that looks great on a teenager (if you know what I mean).  Nor is he interested in the "zoot suit" look......

Since we have been married, he has only had 2 suits.  One of them he gave away (to someone who needed it worse than he did) and the other he can't wear anymore (a little snug)......  Normally, to church or meetings, he wears dockers pants, with a button down shirt and tie.  Now that he's the police chief (at least temporarily, hopefully permanently).....he is wanting to spiff up his wardrobe a little bit.  I told him to consider dressing how the sheriff dresses.  I don't think I have ever seen the sheriff wearing Jeans (he is usually in slacks and a nice pullover shirt, or button down shirt).  I think that my hubby should look nice at all times and only wear jeans for such activity as working in the yard, or doing tasks that he would not want to wear dress pants for. 

anyway, was just wanting some other thoughts, ideas and opinions.....thank you...

Sharon

*Christi*

Oh man... Josh LOVES his suits... he buys them all from either Ebay or Value City.  Being tall, Josh likes the 4 button suits but will wear 3 buttons if necessary.  Here is a pic of him in his favorite suit.  He got it from Value City.  It was regularly $89 or $99 I think and he got 2 suits for $100.

Being older, I wouldn't suggest your husband wearing the plaid shirt with the striped suit but the striped suit with a plain shirt would be handsome and classy.  Josh is only 25 so he still dresses pretty trendy.

rapunzelgirl

Check the sales racks at your local department store (Dillard's, Macy's, whatever you have where you live).  We buy hubby's suits at Men's Wearhouse.  He also likes a very classic style suit.  And, he is very broad in the shoulders, so he can't buy suits off the rack at a normal dept. store.  Men's Wearhouse is great because they have extended sizes and they do all the tailoring in-store.  They will also do any future alterations on the suit for free, no matter how long you have it.

JoleneHeather

also, honestly, look in your goodwill/thrift store.  Some people give away some REALLY nice suits.  And it might only cost you 10 bucks.  Now they are not always nice, but I have found some great deals there.

*Christi*

Ok... here's another pic of Josh in a suit... this one is just black but it's nice.  Again, probably avoid the bright tie... LOL

Envelope

LOL.... My dear hubby loves ties.......but definately HATES loud ties, especially the ones that look like "drapery material" as he calls it.....

I will definately take him to Kansas city (closest shopping....) to check out men's wearhouse. 

I have looked on ebay and there really are some very classy looking suits for reasonable price.......

Jolene Heather, that's where 1 of my husband's nicest suits came from (my pastor's wife got it for $2.)  That is the suit he gave away.....

I think I'll look at the consignment store here (I hadn't really thought about it....) LOL......funny when something is sooo obvious.....

Sharon

P.s......... Josh looks great in the "wild" ties!! 

*Christi*

Those ties are actually pretty mild compared to some of his... LOL  He has SO many ties!!  I just asked him how many ties he has and he said "at least 60, probably more like 70"!!

RandyWayne

I prefer a suite that doesn't require a tie. :)

World Traveler

Ok, I am a "big and tall" clothing guy. I have found the best selection for me to look nice on a modest budget is the J.C. Penney Big and Tall Man clothing. They have great mix and match selections. The best of their selections is from "The Stafford Collection".
If I have a few more bucks and want to feel like I am being served at a nice snooty New York tailor I go to Men's Warehouse. The clothing is a little more expensive, but very nice.
First choice, though, is the J.C. Penney Stafford Collection.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Melody

JC Penny's stuff never fits my hubby right.  Actually most of the big and tall stuff isn't tall enough..... :smirk2:

*Christi*

Josh is big and tall too and he has no problem finding suits to fit him at Value City and Burlington Coat Factory.

Melody

I looked up Value City and the closest one is more than 200 miles away... :smirk2:

BUT I'm going to have to get over to a BCFactory to see what they got.  It looks like they don't have much online to choose from.

Thanks girls!

Envelope

same here MY.........value city is a longgggg way away......

another question?  is a 3 piece suit "in" or "out" these days??  Or is it just personal preference?  Just curious

Sharon

*Christi*

It's pretty much a personal preference.  I think of 3 piece suits as more formal or something.  Josh has one or two but he wears them without the vest more often than with.

Melody

My hubby gets so hot just in long sleeves, so wearing a vest is like for a winter day or something...lol

bishopnl

I get all my suits from K & G.  It sells name brand suits at lower prices...Alfred Nippon and Jones New York....Ralph Lauren...I've even seen Hugo Boss suits there for as low as $200...anyone who knows about Hugo Boss knows that that's unheard of.  You can usually find decent suits there for as low as $75.  It's a great place to buy suits...

Unfortunately, I checked to see if they have one in Kansas City, but the only one in Missouri is the one here in St. Louis.  The only one in Kansas is in Sawnee...not sure where that's at in relation to Kansas City.  Anyway, I highly recommend it.   

http://www.kgmens.com/

There is also an outlet store in Cape Girardeau, MO called Thorngate that sells Hart Schaefner & Marx suits at incredibly low prices.  These are probably $500-$700 suits being sold for around $100...top notch suits...

http://www.thorngate.com/

Value City's pretty good, too, but the one in our area stinks.  They never have anything...

I also agree with JH.  You can occassionally find a good deal at Goodwill or the Salvation Army.  I know a kid from IBC that found a Hugo Boss suit at the Salvation Army for like $8.   
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Melody

thanks bishop, I'm going to check that out.  KC in itself is big but it's the suburbs that mesh into it that makes it seem bigger.  Shawnee is one of those suburbs on the KS side and something we are going to go check out.

There is this long low key debate going amongst my hubby and I as to when it's time to go to the next waiste size...lol  He's not fat by ANY means, not even chubby, but he is soooo reluctant to get up to that next size and just wear a belt.  He is convinced that a bigger size pants will fall off of him.  Right now it looks similiar to pinching a long balloon in the middle...lol 

What do you guys say?

Melody

are there more choices than what's online for K&G?  My hubby's a 40/36 in pants.  Regular pants only go to 34L and Big and Tall start at 44W.  LOL... I should tell him it would be cheaper for him to get chubby....lol 

He just needs TALL, not big.... this is fun though and those are some AWESOME prices!  Check those out Envelope!  That store is in a sub. that meshes right in with KC so actually it'll be easier to get to in order to avoid the dowtown KC.

Envelope

I forgot about K & G......what am I thinking??  LOL..............

I've been to the one in Shawnee....It is super easy to get too......it just has been awhile. 

Sharon

nicolejoy

Come to Hong Kong and you can get good quality tailor made suits really cheap!! That's what Berny does - because he's a funny shape... thick neck, broad shoulders but "short" arms and not as chubby as his neck size (if you know what I mean...) - it's awesome!! :D

Envelope

LOL.........would LOVE to come to Hong Kong.....that would be Great!!!.........but I'm afraid the plane ticket would cost a little more than a nice suit........LOL

Sharon

nicolejoy

Our friends just came to Hong Kong from Baton Rouge - their return airfares were about $700ish I think they said - and from my experience, that's pretty good!!! I don't know if that's just super special, or if that's "normal" though...

bishopnl

Mellow,

I've never shopped K & G online, but in the stores I know they have pant sizes that would fit your husband...suits that are 48L usually have a pant size that is about your husband's waist size.

Shopping in the store, they will "tailor" the suit to fit whatever your waist/length are.  It costs a little extra depending on what they do, but the pants are NEVER hemmed at the bottom, and you just tell them what kind of a hem you want, and they will do it for you.  I prefer all of my pants cuffed, so I pay them and they do it.  Of course, you ladies may know how to do that stuff at home, so you wouldn't have to spend the extra $10 or whatever it costs to have them do it for you.  I'm lazy, though, so I just have them do it.

The prices are terrific!  A Jones New York suit regular priced might cost $500...but at K & G it's usually about $150 to $180.  Alfred Nippon suits are usually a little bit cheaper, and they are made by the same people who make Jones New York...the feel of the suit is pretty much the same. 
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

EmmaLeigh

My friend Crystal and I bought her ex a suit at KandG one year for Christmas...  I think it was Hugo Boss... and he looked GREAT in it until he gained a ton of weight ... lol... 

Not that I'm one to talk - but once you're outta the size, stop wearing it!!  Poor Mitch!!! :)

I couldnt believe we got a Hugo Boss suit for what we did - i think it was way less than 200 with shirt and ties and everything.... AMAZING!!!

*Christi*

Quote from: bishopnl on October 02, 2006, 08:47:50 PM
Mellow,

I've never shopped K & G online, but in the stores I know they have pant sizes that would fit your husband...suits that are 48L usually have a pant size that is about your husband's waist size.

Shopping in the store, they will "tailor" the suit to fit whatever your waist/length are.  It costs a little extra depending on what they do, but the pants are NEVER hemmed at the bottom, and you just tell them what kind of a hem you want, and they will do it for you.  I prefer all of my pants cuffed, so I pay them and they do it.  Of course, you ladies may know how to do that stuff at home, so you wouldn't have to spend the extra $10 or whatever it costs to have them do it for you.  I'm lazy, though, so I just have them do it.

The prices are terrific!  A Jones New York suit regular priced might cost $500...but at K & G it's usually about $150 to $180.  Alfred Nippon suits are usually a little bit cheaper, and they are made by the same people who make Jones New York...the feel of the suit is pretty much the same. 

Sorry... I just had to laugh at this because my dear, domesticated husband cuffs all of his own and my brother's suit pants!!!   :laughhard:  Not that I can't sew but he does his own stuff!!