News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Gleaning

Started by Lynx, October 09, 2012, 07:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I have a friend who is a licensed UPCI minister and also a CFP licensed financial planner.  I asked him recently how the biblical concept of gleaning would apply today.  I got his permission to post his answer:
Greetings!

I didn't forget this time; I'm just slow. Slowly working through an enormous to-do list.  But I have been thinking about the modern applications of gleaning.

In days of old, the vast majority of people worked int he area of farming and food production. Today, around 2% of Americans are farmers. So the mechanics of gleaning must needs be very different, but I think some general principles (which you alluded to) still apply.

1. Charitable giving is primarily and individual (i.e. private sector) responsibility, rather than a public sector one. That does not rule out public sector involvement in caring for the poor. The closest ancient Israel came to public sector charity was the mandate that every third year, a tithe of Israel's produce be collected and distributed to the poor.In between government programs and individual efforts are charitable organizations like Gleaning For The World.  Check out the "candy" video on the home page of gftw.org.

2. The recipients of charity should be able to receive assistance in a way that lets them keep their dignity.  Gleaning a field was not the same as waiting for a welfare check in the mail, or standing on the corner begging money from passers-by. Check out what this dentist's office in Seekonk MA did recently:   http://www.necn.com/09/22/12/Hundreds-receive-free-dental-care-in-See/landing.html?blockID=777453&feedID=11106  This passes the dignity test, because no one has to apply for anything, no one has to tell their story, and an observer can't distinguish the paying patients from the non-paying ones.

There are no shortages of charitable organizations and efforts. For instance, in Massachusetts, almost every decent sized town has one or more food pantries where people can pick up free food. What's lacking is charitable giving by individuals; Americans, on average, give about 2% of their income to charity.

The biggest problem I see is attitude, both by potential givers and potential recipients. If givers are righteous, they will not look down on the poor recipients of charity. If recipients are righteous, they will not look at charity as an entitlement. It is tempting for the poor to become complacent, either through lost hope or laziness, and get acclimated to to charity, dependent on it over the long term. Such people are probably not a majority, but they give the more hard hearted among potential givers the excuse to stereotype the poor, and to feel justified in despising and ignoring them. And there are many people who are not poor, who will game the system and take free food from food pantries just to save money. This is unfortunate in that it prevents some food from going to the truly needy. But notice in Bible times, there was no one stationed at the edges of fields whose job it was to very a gleaner's "eligibility" for gleaning.

So what can individuals and business who don't raise food for gleaners do?

1. They can donate their skills. I belong to the Financial Planning Association, and through it, have done some pro bono financial planning work. One of FPA's pro bono projects (not one I was involve din) is an ongoing relationship with the Dana Farber Cancer institute, where planners give free help to the families of those whose children are being treated for cancer. Similarly, mechanics (professional or shade tree) can donate labor for car repairs. Computer geeks can help people set up and repair their laptops, and so on. Even ALI (the Apostolic Leadership Institute) where I teach has some elements of gleaning. The students pay tuition, but the program is priced at less than it costs to present. Keeping it affordable lets people come who otherwise could not, but charging something keeps it from being a "handout."

2. Perhaps their could be an "exchange" of services. A group of business could sponsor a neighborhood cleanup in a poor area, addressing vacant lots, trashy streets, etc. And then give something of value to the volunteers; everything from donated iPads from the computer store to warm clothing from the sporting goods supplier. The sky is the limit. Where there is first a willing mind, and what and the how will suggest themselves.

Gotta run. Forty-seven more things on today's list.  Hope something in here was helpful.

Best regards,

EJFH
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: