News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Yankee Bear's Race Against Time

Started by Newsman, August 16, 2011, 07:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newsman

Yankee Bear's fur above his left eye was furrowed as he was deep in thought.

He had gone over every possibility, every possible strategem in this battle, but nothing had worked. Sadly he could see nothing would work here, and that the situation was past saving.

Pausing one last time before doing the inevitable, and doing what many would find unbelievable, Yankee Bear yielded the fight.

He tipped his king on the chessboard to Felix te Cat, and immediately the black cat that shared Yankee Bear's comfortable home went widdershins around the room, flicking his long tail in triumph as he made another victory lap around Yankee Bear's den.

For a moment Yankee Bear thoght about beng grouchy at the cat's boisterous victory celebration, but decided to stay gracious. He went to get himself another quart of root beer and some more licorice (red, of course, as black licorice in Yankee Bear's mind should only be given to malefactors and door-to-door salesmen,) and poured a fresh pint of cold whole milk for the victorious Felix.

He also got another quarter of a loaf of Italian bread out for his other house resident, Mickey the Muskovee. Mickey had sat and watched the chess match between the bear and the cat intently but quietly. The duck, of course, did not play chess himself, but was positively diabolical at chinese checkers.

As the three settled into the round of refreshments, Yankee Bear's old-style, ornate phone rang.

Realizing that many an adventure fro him had begun with a phone call, the ancient bear picked up the old-style receiver on the second ring and answered it.

---------to be continued------------

The Purple Fuzzy

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Chseeads

In the next installment, we find Felix the Cat camped out in the bathroom with the fresh milk scoots....

Lynx

Quote from: Chseeads on August 17, 2011, 04:31:18 PM
In the next installment, we find Felix the Cat camped out in the bathroom with the fresh milk scoots....
Yup. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Quote from: Chseeads on August 17, 2011, 04:31:18 PM
That'll teach him to celebrate beating Yankee Bear in chess.... :lol:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Chseeads

Yankee Bear may be the one having to clean up runny cat poo all over the den though.  :P

Lynx

I sure had to clean it up all over the carport.  And a little blood.  :o  Nancia is better now though, just in time for me to not run her off to the vet.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

sunlight

:lurk: :hyper:
* sunlight hugs newsman! you  rock dude!
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Newsman

Yankee Bear answers the phone, and a voice on the other end says Major Yankee Bear? This is the White House military switchboard: stand by for General Bigpaw.
   Unconsciously straightening as he held the old-style phone receiver, Yankee Bear's wait was brief.
   "Major," a gruff no-nonsense voice the off-duty bear knew as the Chief of Staff for the teddy bear corps, "there is a full-dress ball at the President's place Friday night, and he wants you there."
   "Yes, sir," Yankee Bear said, already a bit uncomfortable. The bear did well in formal events, but hated crowds and fancy shindigs, and would escape them if he could. This was apparently not going to be one of those times, however.
   As if he could sense the reluctance that wasn't verbalized, the four-star general reiterated "Friday evening, 1900 hours. Full dress uniform. Be there. Your formal invitation will be delievered to your office on post tomorrow.
   "Yes, sir," the ancient bear said again, but the senior general wasn't through with him, yet.
   "Yankee Bear, that is full dress uniform..full decorations. Understand?
   One more "yes, sir," from Yankee Bear, and the general was off the phone, leaving Yankee Bear in even deeper thought.
   A perk of his long service, codified by one of two Presidential Directives in his personnel file, was that Yankee Bear was to always be allowed to wear the old Civil-War era style uniform that was in military vogue when he came into the military, more than a century and a half ago.
   That was fine, he had numerous dress uniforms of that era. The problem was, Yankee Bear preferred not to wear all his military decorations he had collected over an unbelievably long and active military career. Still, orders were orders, and the general had left him no wiggle-room.
   That very next day, Monday, he strode briskly into his office and greeted the other officers that shared the small building with him. One was his favorite, Lieutenant Tyrone, whom Yankee Bear was the godfather of Tyrone and his wife's cubs.
   Less than an hour later, a military courier arrived with a packet for Yankee Bear. In it was a heavily embossed and fancified invitation to the President's ball. The old bear would have preferred a cherry dr. pepper and some funyons, but he would have to be on his own for snacks.
   The wording specified "Major Yankee Bear and Guest." An idea formed as the old bear thought on that. He rummaged through his desk for a card with a particular phone number. Yankee Bear was known to be an anachronism, something out of his place in time. While he could do some occasionally surprising  paws (instead of feats) with a computer, he could not add a phone number to his cell, instead memorizing phone numbers he used more than a few times.
   Ten minutes later, he reclined back, thinking on the approaching social event he was going to have to attend.
   Who did Yankee Bear look up the number of? Will he try to play hooky on the night of the big event? Will he be able to stay away from the buffet?
   Stay tunes for more of Yankee Bear's Race Against Time.

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Lynx

So... how did the race against time turn out?
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Wow, we've been just been left hanging for over a year now...

Newsman

I think I started working on it, then lost it in a comp (user) failure. I will try to get back on it this week!

John  :waving:

Lynx

You'd never believe how I found the thread quickly... I ran a search for "fresh milk scoots."   :roll:
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

Newsman

Tsalagi

Oy! More Yankee Bear?  :o How much have I missed? :)

The Purple Fuzzy

Wow! Soggy came out of the woodwork! :hi:

Newsman

Roscoe

Quote from: Newsman on July 16, 2013, 03:18:06 AM
I am honored.
And slow, since we are still waiting for the next installment! :pound:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

RainbowJingles

Slow?  Nah.  That's how long it takes Yankee Bear to decide if he should call a particular girl or not!  Wouldn't want to make a mistake, for crying out loud!

Lynx

Hey, give Yankee Bear a break. He's still way ahead of the weird cat in that area.
"Do you sing at church?"

RainbowJingles