News:

Remember to check out the Devotions & Poems forum!

Main Menu

Tax Questions

Started by World Traveler, February 16, 2013, 08:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

I hope there are some out there that know about taxes and can answer my simple questions. :-)
First off I need to let you know I fill out the full 1040 form. So all questions apply to this form.

#1. Are there any new forms I need to be aware of and fill out this year that I haven't had to deal with in previous years? I have heard that with the President's new health policies we have to fill out forms about our health or something to that affect.

#2. I received some payments that I have not received before and am not sure I have to declare (because of their nature) and, if I do have to declare them, just where I do so. Your guidance to me in this respect, particulary in guiding me to the correct line on the form, would be very helpful.
The two pieces of income I received are as follows:
First: I was named as one of the two "physics teacher of the year for the Oklahoma". In addition to a nice plaque I received a check for $100.00. I have not received a 1099 for this. Do I claim it? If so, where?
Second: Prior to graduating from college I signed a contract with the state regarding financial rewards for future employment. Basically, if I taught science courses my first five years in an Oklahoma Public School then at the end of the five years I would receive a payment to reflect the monies I paid to get my college education. This came out to over $15,000.00. I have the 1099 for it and no monies were taken out for anything. Do I claim this and if so where?

#3. While doing taxes last year, I was informed I had been taking a deduction that I did not qualify for. I did not do it last year after being informed of this, but am concerned about previous years. The decuction was claimed on the schedule A and so affects my federal and state taxes. I need to fix those.
First quesion on this topic: How do I fix these?
Second question: How many years back tax returns must I fix.

Thank you for any and all help.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

The Purple Fuzzy

I use Turbo tax online.  It's pretty through.

SippinTea

#1 - Yes. I believe so. But I cheated this year, and let someone ELSE deal with filing my taxes. :hypocrite:

#2 - Yes, you do, and it goes under the "other income" category.

#3 - I have no idea. Sorry!  :-?

Sandra's advice is good. I've used Turbo tax online several years, and they ARE very thorough. Following sequential questions of "if this, then this" is rather helpful for people like me. *lol* Your questions about the extra income will be automatically covered, and you won't have to worry about what form/line to put it on. It will do it for you. Not sure how it will work for trying to correct mistakes from previous years, however.

Not sure that helped much. :updown:

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Chseeads

All I have to say is :sing:

Go on, take the money and run
Go on, take the money and run.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCFUGCOLLU