News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Low/No Starch & Sugar Recipes

Started by kkay, December 21, 2012, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkay

Sweet Hot Chili

Ingredients
1 Pound 95% Lean Ground beef
4 cloves Garlic Chopped
2 Small Yellow Onions Chopped
2 Stalks of Celery Sliced Thin
1 16 OZ Can Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp. Pepper
1 Tsp. Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
2 Tbls. Chili Powder
1 Tbls. Cumin
1 Tsp. Oregano
1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbls. Ancho Pepper Ground
2 Cups Beef Broth
1/2 Lemon
4 Packets Stevia Natural Sweetener (Optional)

Directions
Brown Ground Beef without oil, rinse in steamin hot water and and set asside. Saute garlic and onions without oil until soft. Retrun rinsed beef to pan and squeeze juice of 1/2 lemon over mixture. Add all ingredients to pan. Bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes to reduce broth. Divide into 8 equal servings, approx. 2/3 cup each. Serve or refrigerate.

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Goat Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Ingredients
1/3 C sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil, finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil, divided
1/2 C chopped shallots, divided
1 tsp Splenda
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 T balsamic vinegar, divided
1/2 C (2 oz) crumbled goat cheese - to cut down on the fat, find the lowest-fat variety
2 T chopped fresh basil
3/4 tsp salt, divided
4 (6-oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 C fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried thyme

Directions
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 C shallots, Splenda, and garlic; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Spoon into a bowl; stir in 1 1/2 tsp vinegar.

Combine chopped tomatoes, shallot mixture, cheese, basil, and 1/4 tsp salt, stirring well.

Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff about 2 T cheese mixture into each pocket. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper.

Heat 1 tsp oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm. Add broth, remaining shallots, 2 T vinegar, and thyme; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thick, stirring constantly. Serve sauce over chicken.

Crustless Cheddar Broccoli Quiche

Ingredients
1 tsp. Canola Oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 pkg. (10oz) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained.
2 cups egg beaters
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1/2 cup kraft 2% chredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in small nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions, cook 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli; mix well. Spoon into 9-in pie plate sprayed with cooking spray.
Mix remaining ingredients until well blended; pour over broccoli layer.
Bake 45-50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.

Egg Muffins

Ingredients
15 Large Eggs
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (low fat if possible)
1/4 Cup Feta Cheese (Optional)
Garlic Seasoning to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 F.

If using a silicone pan, spray with non-stick spray. If using a regular muffin pan, use 2 liners.

Beat eggs in a bowl. Add diced veggies and cheese. Add garlic seasoning to taste. Pour into muffin tins filling 2/3 full. The muffins will rise.

Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep at least a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Microwave on high about 2 minutes to reheat.

Muffins will keep at least a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Microwave on high about 2 minutes to reheat.

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Spinach and Goat Cheese Stuffing

Ingredients
- 2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced (or more)
- 1/2 Bunch of spinach, hard stems removed
- 2 (6 oz) thick chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2 oz. Lo-Fat Goat Cheese (crumbled is great)
- Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions
Makes 2 generous entree servings or 3-4 appetizer servings.

1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
2) In large skillet heat 1 tsp. oil and cook garlic until aromatic (no more than a minute) over medium heat
3) Add in spinach and cook until it wilts and water evaporates (about 2-4 mins)
4) Season with salt and pepper (and maybe some pepper flakes) then transfer to plate
5) Towel out skillet

7) Remove excess fat from chicken and cut a pocket in each. Start from center and make large enough pocket to accommodate filling being sure not to cut all the way through. Try to leave 1 inch border.
8) Pace chicken pocket face up and season with salt and pepper
9) Fill evenly with spinach and cheese
10) Seal with toothpicks or cooking twine
11) Season outside of chicken with salt and peper

12) Heat remaining 1 tsp. olive oil in pan and cook chicken until browned, about 5 minutes each side
13) Transfer to baking dish and cook in oven at 400 for about 10 minutes.
Note: If you have and ovenproof skillet, transfer to oven at this time and cook at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
14) Remove toothpicks or twine and serve hot.

Peanut Butter Cup

Ingredients
1 no sugar added fudgsicle
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp Fat free Whipped Cream or Whipped Topping

Directions
Take the fudgsicle and scrape it off the stick (microwaving it for about 15 seconds helps). Then add the peanut butter and whipped cream. Mix together and enjoy.

Popcorn Shrimp

Ingredients
3oz small raw shrimp shelled
4 melba toast rounds crushed
1 egg white

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Place crushed melba toast crumbs in a bowl and the egg white in another bowl. Take the shrimp 2-3 at a time and dip in egg white then coat with crumbs and place onto cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the shrimp till all the shrimp have been coated with the egg white and crumbs. Bake in oven for 5-10 min or until shrimp is cooked. Let set for 2 min before eating.

Lynx

If you replace all the low-fat stuff with regular stuff, these recipes could be really good...  Especially as I like eggs.

Copy-pasting some things now.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

kkay

Ok, this one sounds too good to be true, but...

COCONUT FLOUR PIZZA CRUST

Ingredients

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I use the full fat type)
1 egg
1 tablespoon cream of buckwheat (or flax meal)
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
Instructions

Preheat oven to 425.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
Line a cookie tray with parchment paper and spread the cheese mixture on the paper as thinly as possible, using the back of a spoon or fork.
Reduce heat to 400 and bake on the top rack for about 15 minutes, or until the crust is starting to look golden in places. Remove from the oven and add desired toppings.
Bake for a few minutes, just to melt cheese on top.

(I can't try this 'til next week or the week after, so if anyone tries it before, please let me know if it's actually good :))

Lynx

Where do you get coconut flour and cream of buckwheat?  Not nit-picking, I'm seriously interested.  I have a knack for synthesizing in my head what recipes will taste like, and from what my imagination makes of this recipe, the texture would be interesting.  Not like a traditional pizza crust, but that could be a good thing.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Melody

that sounds right.  Isaac, I have nearly every common flour you can think of at more than one grocery store.  Hodge and Bob's Mill?  have websites that you can order diverse kinds from and are the most common brands.

Right now in my cupboard I have: coconut, garbanzo/chickpea, almond, hazelnut, brown rice, quinoa, non-degerminated corn flour, teff, spelt, millet, and of course whole wheat pastry flour. And because starch makes a difference, tapioca and potato starch help a lot, with xanthum gum. It makes for some fun experiments! 

oh and chestnut flour.  I'm not crazy about that one though. 

BTW: Flax is amazing.  Nathan and I were just reading that 3T of ground flax has the same cancer fighting nutrients as 60, yes SIXTY cups of brocolli!

kkay

Quote from: Psalm_97 on December 26, 2012, 07:51:44 PM
Where do you get coconut flour and cream of buckwheat?  Not nit-picking, I'm seriously interested.  I have a knack for synthesizing in my head what recipes will taste like, and from what my imagination makes of this recipe, the texture would be interesting.  Not like a traditional pizza crust, but that could be a good thing.

From what I've heard the texture of the crust when you use either coconut or almond flour can be a little grainy but still very good. I've found both almond and coconut flour at Meijer and Wal Mart. Kroger only has almond flour here. I'm guessing any Whole Foods or health food store would have them.

Lynx

Shoot, this here's west Tennesse I'm a'livin' in.  We gotta go a good hour and a half to get to one-a-them health-type stores.

I think my best bet would be online.  Which, as I am a nerd at heart, suits me fine.
"Do you sing at church?"

kkay

You might be able to find it cheaper online too. I think the cheapest I've seen almond flour is $8.00 for a small bag. Coconut flour might be a little cheaper than that though.