News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

We got a divorce and he left me behind...sadly SHARING in 4-7-5.

Started by MelodyB, December 13, 2012, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsJennJenn

I'm not a parent, but unfortunately, it's the times we're in.
I think once the child is old enough to understand conversations such as that, that the conversation DOES need to be had. Simply because IT IS the times we're in. :sadbounce:
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

SippinTea

Yes, but WHAT do you say?? How can you prepare someone for HOW to handle a situation that is so unexpected, so frightening, so volatile?? Especially at those ages?? Roscoe, I'm with Sandra. I'd really like to know how you, as a cop, would recommend talking to kids about stuff like this.

Melodya - I'm actually using Saxon Math with Sean this year. Saxon works for some kids, and is positively horrid for others. (I'm one of the ones who hated Saxon - and used it for a number of years.) If you're needing to supplement, I would highly recommend checking out khanacademy online, instead of trying to supplement with a separate curriculum. Khan Academy lets you track your progress - regardless of how much or little you use them - and is VERY user-friendly for both the student and the parents.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Roscoe

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on December 14, 2012, 08:46:35 PM
Roscoe, what would you tell them?  They are little and have no control.  What should you tell them to help them not be sitting ducks?
At that age, I'd want them to know that at the very first sign of trouble they are to get down behind any object that they can. Unfortunantly, as young as they are, there is no real way for them to defend themselves, but just by taking action to automatically make themselves as invisible as possible might save them. If they panic and began screaming and running, it's likely they would draw the killers attention and make it more likely that they become a target. If the children can default to what they have been taught and remain  even a little in control of themselves, it might make a little difference.
If the killer is just "spraying" his ammo, he might not hit everyone. He's going to shoot in the direction of the people he SEES. If he is determined to kill them, he will go to each child individually, but this takes time and these morons want to get in an afflict maximum damage as quickly as they can.
I know that I would be in the minority on this, but I think EVERY teacher should be trained in the use of handguns and should be REQUIRED to have one in their classroom, preferably on their person. If the teacher had, perhaps one shot might have made the difference for these kids.
Unfortunantly, I see this incident and others that have taken place become an example for gun control. People can't get it around their mind that making something illegal does not cause it to cease to exist.
Chey and I have already began conversations about this and she will be going to the range with me in the next couple of years. She will know how to defend herself as she grows up.

I will try to have more in a bit. This is just off the top of my head.

Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Roscoe

And while we are on this unfortunant heart rending subject- your church needs to have a plan on how to handle a threat situation such as this. Nowadays, the House of God is no longer sacred to these types of people, and many of the people that do this kind of act have one thing in mind- to become famous. To have everyone talking about them, even if they are dead. Killing their family and themselves won't do it- but a mall, a church, someplace like that equals sitting ducks and more casualities, therefore it accomplishes their goals.
I strongly believe in God's protection, but I want to do my part in minimizing the pain inflicted on my congregation by someone like this. I may die in my pulpit while shooting at someone, but God willing, they won't injure my family and church.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

SippinTea

Totally agree about teachers needing to be both armed and highly trained to USE weapons. And thanks for the ideas. I'll look forward to more of what you have to say later. And the people on FB right now going off about how gun control might have prevented this situation.... MY FOOT!! If someone wants to inflict harm or kill someone, a choice of weapon is really the least of the worries. *sigh* ANYTHING can (and has) been used as a weapon. Gun control just means you're limiting law-abiding citizens - not the people who are actually out to hurt and harm.

Maybe I should just stop right there.

MsJennJenn

I can't even began to name/number the men (and a few women lol) in our church who have CHL's.
Including my father and brother. I know my brother keeps his in the car.

Our church has gone thru training or something I think on it. Not the whole church per say, but there are several men who took it upon themselves to get CHL's for reasons like this. To be ready in case of emergency.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Roscoe

Quote from: MsJennJenn on December 14, 2012, 10:02:33 PM
I can't even began to name/number the men (and a few women lol) in our church who have CHL's.
Including my father and brother. I know my brother keeps his in the car.

Our church has gone thru training or something I think on it. Not the whole church per say, but there are several men who took it upon themselves to get CHL's for reasons like this. To be ready in case of emergency.
As I've said before, moset of the time I have a concealed weapon on me in church. I do have the advantage of being a police officer, therefore I am not limited by the concealed carry laws banning weapons in church. The thing that bothers me is, Lou likes to sit up front...if I'm not on the platform, I try to be in a back corner seat of the building. That way, if they come in my church, the only doors they could possibly come in presents me with an open shot....it is sad that we must think of things like this, but it is the times in which we live.
Many times, the pastor has a concealed carry piece as well as a couple other men in the church, although they mostly leave theirs in the car..

SippinTea

Our church doesn't currently have anyone carrying (that I know of) - wish we did. But I do know of at least a couple churches where the pastor knows on any given Sunday morning he has at least 3 or 4 armed men sitting in his audience. And yes, it's horrible that we even have to think that way, but it's the world we're in. And much as I trust God to take care of us, I appreciate knowing men and women who use weapons for GOOD.

SippinTea

By the way, Roscoe... thanks. I'm proud to have men like you among my friends.

Roscoe

Quote from: SippinTea on December 14, 2012, 10:24:05 PM
Unneccesary thanks..., but truthfully, I am honored to be numbered among your friends.

Ya know, on a lighter note- this career I chose as a way to avoid work and get away with driving fast is more complicated and dangerous than I realized  twelve years ago... :laughhard:

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Melody

me as well.

I have not covered much if anything on what do in the situation besides, "No, your karate chop isn't going to immobilize a bad guy.  Even if you do it like that.  Yes I know you're strong."   I have told them to pray and hide.  It's been in the context of a burglar.  We seem to be over confident in my cast iron skillets.  I have taken it for granted that God will always protect them.  I've asked when Jesus encouraged fighting or defense for His disciples and have not gotten much of an answer. He rebuked Peter for using a sword.  I don't know.  I just don't know. 

We also have a number of guys that carry at church, during service.  We have a little elder that teaches gun safety and self defense.  I can't begin to afford it for our family.

Chseeads

Jesus told Peter to put up his sword because it was time for Jesus to die, he was not building a kingdom in this world at the time, otherwise He said then we'd fight for it.

MelodyB

QuoteThough it may sound contradictory, drinking vinegar can help relieve heartburn, according to "The Healing Powers of Vinegar," by Cal Orey. In fact, having too little acid in your stomach can cause acid reflux, so by drinking vinegar, which is highly acidic, you can restore some of that acid and calm heartburn.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/506047-vinegar-upset-stomach/

So there! :P

MelodyB

QuoteMustard can work as a heartburn remedy because it contains vinegar, a strong stimulant of saliva. Try adding it to your cooking and you may find that you avoid heartburn altogether.

Since it is vinegar and not mustard seed that reduces heartburn symptoms, be sure to use real mustard and not mustard seed. Some flavored mustards may have less vinegar than traditional mustard, so be sure to check the ingredients list.

There is another one.

I'm bored can ya tell?

MsJennJenn

Bought a fish tonight.
Texted the picture to several friends.
One of which is a guy from work, his "girlfriend" replied back chewing me out.
Didn't even know he had a gf....
Bahahaha she don't even know me... :roll:
-Alexander Den Heijer-

mini

Me too...however short you may be.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

mini

My heart is heavy today.  Had nightmares last night about yesterdays events.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on December 15, 2012, 11:38:06 AM

Me too...however short you may be.
:blush:   :pound:

Quote from: minnesota68 on December 15, 2012, 01:24:51 PM
My heart is heavy today.  Had nightmares last night about yesterdays events.
No nightmares but alot of time reflecting and thinking about it. And I spent all evening and night cuddled up with my little one wondering how a world could be so twisted and sick for this to happen.

And in sharing, it is my day off of course, and it is cloudy and rainy. May not leave the house today....

mini

Quote from: Roscoe on December 15, 2012, 02:20:27 PM
And in sharing, it is my day off of course, and it is cloudy and rainy. May not leave the house today....

If I was off today, I would come see you.  Coworker will be flying within a few miles of you.  Hes headed to hot springs in a bit.

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on December 15, 2012, 02:53:20 PM
Quote from: Roscoe on December 15, 2012, 02:20:27 PM

If I was off today, I would come see you.  Coworker will be flying within a few miles of you.  Hes headed to hot springs in a bit.
That would provoke me into getting Rusty out....

Chseeads

Vinegar and mustard still usually give me heartburn rather than take it away.  I eat mustard all the time, it doesn't always do so, but it has the potential.

Just do it like the Bible says and take a little wine for your stomach's sake.  That's acid.

Roscoe

Quote from: Chseeads on December 15, 2012, 03:13:07 PM
Vinegar and mustard still usually give me heartburn rather than take it away.  I eat mustard all the time, it doesn't always do so, but it has the potential.

Just do it like the Bible says and take a little wine for your stomach's sake.  That's acid.
Drunkard.  :P

Chseeads